My J&M CB works with my Nolan NCOM helmets!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
Before a recent 48 Plus! ride, we decided that CB communication was the most reasonable option, although I didn't have such an animal installed. The ideal solution to this seemed to be the J&M 2003 CB unit for a number of reasons, not the least of these which is ease of install. I was fortunate to find a great deal on a lightly used unit, making what I planned a little easier mentally than it might have been with a brand new unit.

The J&M unit is designed to connect to a J&M “lower” cord which connects to the “upper” cord from the installed J&M headset. You get the idea… All J&M. My challenge is that I have been riding with – and really like – Nolan helmets with their NCOM comm system for some years now. I like that everything is “internal” to the helmet, and like the way that the system prioritizes Bluetooth audio (primarily my phone) over the wired, allowing both while riding if one so chooses.

I have had my devices (typically 2 Garmin GPS’s and a Sirius satellite receiver) routed via their headphone jacks to an AmpliRider amplifier which routes sound to a jack in my fairing into which I can plug my Nolan cord. All audio was controllable by tuning on/off (and setting individual volume on) each device as desired. I even have different voices on the two GPS’s so that I can route them differently if desired and know at a turn which GPS is send me a different direction. All this works very well with my phone which I connect via Bluetooth to the helmet. When a call comes in, the NCOM silences the corded audio while I’m on a call.

I didn’t want to give any of that up… So…

To be brief, I eliminated the headphone jack I’d installed in the fairing and instead routed the AmpliRider “out” to the MP3 “in” of the J&M 2003. As a side note, I really like the big aux audio volume dial of the 2003 unit, so there’s already an improvement to the system.

Now I just had to figure out how to connect the “out” from the J&M unit to my helmet. Here’s what I did… (NOTE: This will destroy part of the system cord, so only do at your own risk. No warranty after this mod! Do this ONLY at YOUR own risk!)

I cut off the end of the J&M connector into which the J&M “lower cord” would typically attach. That exposed a whole bunch of wires (8, IIRC), including wires for Speaker Right, Speaker Left, Speaker Ground, Mic and Mic Ground (my terms!). Note that J&M is pretty secretive about their wiring pinout – never even found one diagram on the web…

I then ordered a replacement Honda Goldwing 5-pin DIN connector, sold as a replacement for failing cords which attach helmets to the GW audio system. This has a pigtail with 5 leads on one end and a female 5-pin DIN plug on the other. A little trial and error (and very helpful GW forum threads) revealed which of the five wires on the pigtail needed to connect to the correct 5 coming out of the J&M 2003 unit.

The final piece of the puzzle was the purchase of the Nolan NCOM Goldwing cord which is terminated in a male 5-pin DIN plug. This is designed to allow a Nolan NCOM helmet to connect to the stock Goldwing audio system, so it, of course connected perfectly to the pigtail’s female DIN plug.

That’s all there was to it… Result? I now can listen to either GPS, sat radio, CB (which overrides all audio but what comes in via Bluetooth), NOAA weather radio (part of the J&M 2003 device), all via the cord to the helmet. Phone calls come in (and override other audio) via Bluetooth. The only negative I’ve found is that while on a phone call, I can see the visual indicator of a CB conversation on the 2003’s display, but I cannot answer the CB until I terminate the phone call. Other than that, it works exactly as I’d hoped.

Unfortunately, I did not record/photograph the exact wiring connections… If really interested, I can remove a little heat shrink and provide that info to anyone who might want to try this, but its not really to tough to figure out.

I also have a J&M on mine. I use a Nolan N103, but opted for a premium J&M helmet speaker/mic setup. I also tied in my - one at the time - gps (550) which also serves to bluetooth my phone. Add to that a V1 with the sound also piped into my helmet.

Good system, and I've got it fairly figured out now, but you're right about J&M being secretive about their systems. I've had a couple of things I wanted to do but no help from them for the most part.

I now have a 2nd gps (478) and don't know how to tie it in. For now I'm happy mainly using it for my running stats on the ride, plus it's on the shelf in front of me and I use it for accurate mph too (I can hardly see my speedo anyway). Eventually I'll need to somehow get it hooked up so I can hear it's prompts.

All good info above. Grounding question for JM 2003.....I had the grounding wire grounded to the frame underneath the seat. Not the greatest clearity but not bad. I just had the elite headset installed by JM into my new helmet. With the same grounding, the mic seems to be always on and if I talk , without activating any device, it amplifies my voice into the headset. So, I changed the ground to the engine ( which is where JM recomends it) and its far worse. The headset issue is the same but I can hear all kinds of engine noise. I even get a quick blip when I shift gears. So this arrangement is not better.

The music coming in off my mp3 is ok but kinda tinny......I have tried all the adjustments at the radio dials....Nothing helps.

I was reading about a non plane grounded antenna.....that solves alot of issues when the bike frame and engine is aluminum.

Any response that can help me is appreciated.

Gracias,