My last set of Avon's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Well, I have mounted over 20 sets of our favorite rubber. And at least that many of other brands. There a great tire, but the balancing is a bitch. I mounted new rubber this morning for my trip to Deals Gap/ Atlanta area. The front tire took a shit load of weight :angry2: , and the rear almost nothing. I even balanced the wheel with out rubber to find the light spot. Then put the heavy part of the tire there. It helped, but still to much weight. I love the grip, and I get on average 3000 miles out of a rear. But I say f@ckum and feed them fish heads. I always wanted to say that...

I had to have another front replaced for this same issue. I will have to find me a new favorite FJR tire. Most likely go back to a Diablo Strada... They must be a sleep in the quality control dept.

Smitty :(

Well, I have mounted over 20 sets of our favorite rubber. And at least that many of other brands. There a great tire, but the balancing is a bitch. I mounted new rubber this morning for my trip to Deals Gap/ Atlanta area. The front tire took a shit load of weight :angry2: , and the rear almost nothing. I even balanced the wheel with out rubber to find the light spot. Then put the heavy part of the tire there. It helped, but still to much weight. I love the grip, and I get on average 3000 miles out of a rear. But I say f@ckum and feed them fish heads. I always wanted to say that...
I had to have another front replaced for this same issue. I will have to find me a new favorite FJR tire. Most likely go back to a Diablo Strada... They must be a sleep in the quality control dept.

Avg 3K out of a rear??!!? I'd be changing tires every 5 weeks! Something very very wrong with that scenario. I have 8K on my current Avon rear, and still some good tread left.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Avg 3K out of a rear??!!? I'd be changing tires every 5 weeks! Something very very wrong with that scenario. I have 8K on my current Avon rear, and still some good tread left.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
If you have your avitar at home you should be wearing it out!!! :lol: . Life span is normally 5 to 6 weeks out of a set of tires. I never get more than 3500 from a rear, and have had cord showing at 2500 one time. The roads here are very abrasive, tire life is short. That why I bought a tire changer and balancer. I also have a problem with throttle control......But thats where the fun is at...

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing ~3-3.5k is not enough, I don't care how abrasive the roads are. That just aint right.

I could Squeeze 4k out of a sport tire (Dunflop 208's), not being gentle on the ZX-11 and that's not a light bike. I would be seriously pissed if I don't get at least 7k out of a reasonable ST tire.

I _really_ liked the Pilot Roads on that bike, and will probalby try those on the FJR next.

I was thinking the same thing ~3-3.5k is not enough, I don't care how abrasive the roads are. That just aint right.
I could Squeeze 4k out of a sport tire (Dunflop 208's), not being gentle on the ZX-11 and that's not a light bike. I would be seriously pissed if I don't get at least 7k out of a reasonable ST tire.

I _really_ liked the Pilot Roads on that bike, and will probalby try those on the FJR next.
In an effort to avoid having this thread being moved at light speed to the Never-ending, Pointless..etc section, I won't mention that I only got 3500 miles out of a rear Pilot Road.

Why can't you people understand :rolleyes: that tire life... is all in the wrist. I think it's the right one. :p

In an effort to avoid having this thread being moved at light speed to the Never-ending, Pointless..etc section, I won't mention that I only got 3500 miles out of a rear Pilot Road.
Damn... :eek:

I think you guys are missing smitty's point.

He's switching because of the out-of-balance tires he's receiving from AVON. Read his thread again.

I think I remember bitching about only getting 11 or 12K out of the first set of Metzlers on my bike. Then I started riding with Smitty. Now I'm happy if I get 5K out of a rear tire. I don't spend as much time on the chip and seal as he does, and I certainly can't whale on it like he does (or Skinny Dave for that matter).

Oh, and I don't remember a day of riding with Smitty that A.) the front wheel didn't come up, and B.) the back wheel didn't get smoked.... burn out style.

Petey is right, it's all in the wrist.

And Smitty is right, that's where all the fun is!

He's switching because of the out-of-balance tires he's receiving from AVON. Read his thread again.
Quit being so goddam reasonable all the time. I'm gonna put tacks on yer seat at WooFoo just to hear ya yell for a change........ :D

Or, is he switching because they don't last that long which results in more frequent occurences of out of balance tires?

Chicken: Hi

Egg: Hi

Chicken: Were you here before me?

Egg: I don't know

Hell, even THIS GUY is getting 5K out of his tires!! Course, he does ATGATT also. heheheee ;)

cj_58652.jpg

Colin fell off because he was laughing at the stick figures going doggy style in the background. btw - he only gets about 75 miles out of a set of tires.

Colin fell off because he was laughing at the stick figures going doggy style in the background. btw - he only gets about 75 miles out of a set of tires.

I figure he should get great miles from a tire by the way he takes the weight off and lets it roll damn near weightlessly. :huh:

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

I only smoke them when there ready to come off.... Heres a pic of the michelin pilot road rear with 2980 miles on it. No chicken strips here..... Smitty

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

We're not missing the point. We just like to make our own. Funny how threads take on a life of their own. Like yuks that post quips on classified ads... Hmmmm..... <_<

I only smoke them when there ready to come off.... Heres a pic of the michelin pilot road rear with 2980 miles on it. No chicken strips here..... Smitty
IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Smitty, who's tires are those? Hell, you don't even scrape your pegs. You GOTTA have chicken strips! Those surely aren't yours. Unless your doing those donut burnouts and eating them to the side that way.... :D

I just had a set of Avons mounted.On the rear no weight, and 30 grams on the front. No wobble whatsoever at anytime. Second set and no problems, loved them this winter in the rain.

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

OK, so you have cheese grater streets :) I believe you. I still say that's messed up. And no tire should be that wacked balance wise.

You da man.

:D