My last set of Avon's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you guys are missing smitty's point.
He's switching because of the out-of-balance tires he's receiving from AVON. Read his thread again.
Yep...and I'm not smiling about my last set of Avons either. Bummer, I thought I had found my brand. They last, they grip, they even look cooler than most...but the balance issue and wobble has now made me decide my next tires will be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am done with Avon after 2k miles on one setl. They seem to grip less to me than the Pilot Roads. My front Avon wobbles during decel from 60 down to 45 and feels unbalanced around 65. I should have stuck with the Michelins, what a let down.

I find that the avons have no frigging marks on them like other brands to put oppisite the valve stem, you have to just get lucky or add a lot of weight. other wise ok tire for me

I think you guys are missing smitty's point.

He's switching because of the out-of-balance tires he's receiving from AVON. Read his thread again.
Yep...and I'm not smiling about my last set of Avons either. Bummer, I thought I had found my brand. They last, they grip, they even look cooler than most...but the balance issue and wobble has now made me decide my next tires will be different.

I have a number of Avons on my bike but the last set are going to be my last set for a while.

It is very true that the mileage is good. But the weight you have to add is just nuts! With my last set the head shake was always there. Could even take my hands off the bars.

I have put a set of Pilot roads on and man ... the first mile, I could feel the difference. Not as harsh a ride and no head shake.

Well, to each his own. :p I've used Avons, BTW with no problems ( no wobble ), yea, some take more weight than others. But, if they're balanced correctly...no matter how little or a lot of weight you used, there shouldn't be a problem, unless you loose the weights. I'm using Pilots now and like them as well, but the Avons last a little longer for me. :D

10g of additional weight will at 100mph be several kilos. This is not exactly helping the handling of the bike, especially if its the front wheel. When I hear stories of 30 or 40 grams needed for balancing, that is a significant difference from lets say 10g. A difference more than big enough to notice.

10g of additional weight will at 100mph be several kilos. This is not exactly helping the handling of the bike, especially if its the front wheel. When I hear stories of 30 or 40 grams needed for balancing, that is a significant difference from lets say 10g. A difference more than big enough to notice.
I have run some tires requiring significant weights also. No problems whatsoever. Afterburn - have balanced your wheels only? There is an excellent chance it will take near 30g just to balance the wheel itself.

I disagree about the difference being big enough to notice. Balanced is balanced.

Even tho my Avons took alot of weight to get them balanced,

no wobble problems were noticed..... :D

I will make the 8k mark before the next change....not to bad huh..... :glare:

I just bought my second set and hope the mechanic can get them

on with less weights used..... :eek: