My LIDAR experience yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a friend come by in his CHP cruiser. We talked about a few things and as he was leaving I asked if the radar mounted in his car was LIDAR (Laser Radar). He said no, and then proceded to pull the LIDAR unit from the back seat and I got to shoot cars coming up my street from my driveway. It was easy and had a laser type scope on it and you just put the red dot on your target and you have an instant on screen read out. I even got a kid on a skateboard way down in the next block going away from me at 6MPH. Way too easy!

Check this link out before you are convinced

Clicky

The show was very interesting. Used the gun to show a building doing 40mph and a vehicle known to be doing 20mph as doing 40 mph, which was the speed of a vehicle overtaing it. Also problems when the red dot moves from the cars windscreen down the bonnet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clicky

The show was very interesting. Used the gun to show a building doing 40mph and a vehicle known to be doing 20mph as doing 40 mph, which was the speed of a vehicle overtaing it. Also problems when the red dot moves from the cars windscreen down the bonnet.
I failed to get the manufacturers name or model number of the one I played with.

Clicky

Yes, all of those things can actually happen when the Lidar isn't used properly. But, I can say this about pretty much everything in the world! When you skew the settings of just about anything, you can get it to malfunction or function in a way it wasn't designed.

The FIRST thing that is required when using a Lidar unit that alleviates ALL of the claims on that show is sight and unit testing. Turn it on, complete the self diagnostics, and then go through the steps to insure it is working properly. Those steps include taking a reading of an object at a known distance and verifying that the Lidar is obtaining the same distance. This insures that the pulses and reading of said pulses are working. In our department, every precinct has an area that is marked and measured for this purpose. The officer takes the Lidar, stands on the mark, aims at the wall or object at the other end of the 150' or farther end and gets a reading of 0mph. Then he checks the distance and verifies it is the same as the marked off object. Next, he checks the sighting mechanism (the most common thing to cause errors). The officer puts the unit into test mode, finds a reflective surface 150' or farther, then depresses the trigger while looking through the scope. The officer then strafes across the reflective surface (usually a street or stop sign), and the moment the visual indicator (dot) transitions from not hitting the reflective surface to hitting the reflective surface, the audible tone will change dramatically. The officer must do this side to side and up and down. If the audible tone changes at the moment the sighting dot transitions, this insures that the sighting dot and the laser are in fact pointed at the same object.

Then, at the end of shift, if the officer has written any tickets, he has to do it again at the end of shift (or in our case, at the beginning of the next shift since many Lidars are issued). Any errors found will cause the tickets issued between the two checked times to be voided.

Once all of this is done, there is no error with a laser.

But, that is also only part of the equation. EVERY ticket I have ever written with a Lidar (and we're talking thousands over the years), I watched the vehicle speeding, made a mental note of my perception of it's speed, and then used the Lidar to confirm my visual estimation. For anyone that's ever been on a ride along with me, they'll tell you, I am never off by more than 1-2mph in my visual estimation. The reason for this isn't because I'm a good estimate of speed in all circumstances, but because I used to sit in the same areas and the experience that came as a result.

+1 what pony said. do your checks, properly trained, do your visual, & know your area. guaranteed you'll know as the operator when it's not working right if it happens. it's one of the most precise and dependable gadgets we use if u take care of it. B)

Writing tags to tax payers for a living is a suckers job. Taggin assholes is where it is at.

Writing tags to tax payers for a living is a suckers job. Taggin assholes is where it is at.
Not sure I understand who the sucker is and who the asshole is in your scenario here. On the interstate where I focused my enforcement, known as the Terwilliger Curves, it is the worst section of I-5 for accidents. In fact, just had another roll over yesterday. I started pulling people over at 21mph over the limit (71 in a 50). Some would call the speeders assholes. Others would call me the asshole for writing the ticket.

Either way, I don't care what you call me. Because of the focused effort, the average speed through the curves went from 71 mph down to 58 mph and has plateaued at 61 mph. Accident rates are way down, from 106 per month to less than 20.

To me, that's effective law enforcement for the benefit of safety. You can call it whatever you want, like I said, I don't care.

Not sure I understand who the sucker is and who the asshole is in your scenario here. On the interstate where I focused my enforcement, known as the Terwilliger Curves, it is the worst section of I-5 for accidents. In fact, just had another roll over yesterday. I started pulling people over at 21mph over the limit (71 in a 50). Some would call the speeders assholes. Others would call me the asshole for writing the ticket.

Either way, I don't care what you call me. Because of the focused effort, the average speed through the curves went from 71 mph down to 58 mph and has plateaued at 61 mph. Accident rates are way down, from 106 per month to less than 20.

To me, that's effective law enforcement for the benefit of safety. You can call it whatever you want, like I said, I don't care.

PONYFOOL,

Let us clear up the miscommunication. I never referred to you as an asshole(you maybe but I dont know you enough to say). I stated that your(stated job as a traffic enforcer)is for suckers and that I prefer assholes(real criminals)to get tags.. I do not announce my J.O.B. over the net, BUT if you would like to compare credo's in some private messages I will do that. It might help you understand my perspective. My guess is that you work as a State Trooper AND/OR work in a traffic enforcement unit(Motors/Traffic Cars). Oh ya......and I think you really DO CARE, or you wouldnt have responded the way you did.

One question-scenario......Your out on that section of I-5 and get yourself a 102/50 with that there Kustom Pro laser III. You stop THAT guy and he is respectful but lets you know that he has a badge in his wallet. What do ya do?? (trying to decide if your an asshole or not)???????

The 102/50 being a cop scenario has never happened, but I have arrested a fellow officer for DUII. If someone wants professional courtesy from me, they best be professionally courteous enough not to make their presence known in a law enforcement sense. Now, having said that, there isn't any place in Portland where I could allow 100+. If I was out in the sticks, I'd be more likely to give a break. Now, having said all that, I'll also say that I only write about 1 in 3 that I pull over in general, and attitude and understanding of the reason for the stop are the primary motivators in NOT getting a ticket.

As for the guess, no, I'm not a state trooper, Oregon only has four of them left and I'm not one of them. I work in Portland and don't hold it as some secret. Just before I got promoted to sergeant last year, I worked for several years on neighborhood livability issues and the reduction of chronic nuisances. Officers responding 100+ times per month to the same stretch of road way was not a good use of resources. Having that reduced was a significant part of my job to allow me and them to do more important things.

I'm not new on the job either, I've been doing this for 18 years. I've been involved in some pretty serious things in that time, including two fatal shootings and countless other aspects. But I still haven't lost focus on what's important. And that's that the people in the neighborhoods know that the police are responsive to their concerns. We have had more people killed in traffic accidents than by homicide for the last 5 years, so traffic is something that is concerning to them. Look at any neighborhood association web site for this area, you'll see traffic is consistently at the top of the list. Meth, ID theft, sex offenders and general fear of crime round out the top five.

TAG! You're it! What do I win? :rolleyes:
Wicked, you gotta give that one to him, that was funny! :)

I did check out Portland. I did take note that you average less than 30 homicides a year. Seems like a very low homicide rate for a city around 500,000(Do you think that is because of all the tags you write..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Just kidding).

My thought is this....Have you ever advised on a traffic violator??? If so, you have no business writing any fellow Peace Warriors ever!! Even if they were 3 digits. Because you have used discretion in the past. And what kind would tag his Mother or Brother---fellow Ofc(even when their wrong).

I have only ever known of a few Officers(other than troopers)in all my years that have knowingly tagged another Officer and they did'nt last long because they were publicly hated by the rest and had a hard time getting backup when they needed it.

To each his own though......I sure hope your not like that.

Have you ever heard of the website copstaggingcops??? It is a shame what some do to their own.

TAG! You're it! What do I win? :rolleyes:
Oh ya....sorry that was too funny,,,,,,EvilMedic. Thanks for reminding me Pony

Don't worry ponyfool, we've already figured out who the asshole is in this thread. You sound like a real professional. Keep up the good work.

My thought is this....Have you ever advised on a traffic violator??? If so, you have no business writing any fellow Peace Warriors ever!! Even if they were 3 digits. Because you have used discretion in the past. And what kind would tag his Mother or Brother---fellow Ofc(even when their wrong).I have only ever known of a few Officers(other than troopers)in all my years that have knowingly tagged another Officer and they did'nt last long because they were publicly hated by the rest and had a hard time getting backup when they needed it.
Wow , what a completety fu'd attitude !!!

Let me see if I have this correct, .. I have a badge, I can break the law 'cause it does not apply to me and I'm above the law, don't dare write me a ticket 'cause if you need backup... you can die 'cause I'm not helping !

And you wonder why so many people distust and / or hate LEO ????

Grow up !! :(

Some folks just don't like it that it's part of a cop's job to write tickets. You can whine & bellyache all you want about "don't you have something better to do" etc. But the reality is, no, we don't have something better to do or we would be doing it. That is a part of the job just like taking calls that is required and expected. If the officer had a homicide to work then clearly you wouldn't be pulled over by that particular officer. But if all cops always had a robbery/car jacking/homicide/etc to work all the time, then traffic citations would be the least of all our problems.

No sense whining about tickets and trying to assert only assholes or only so-and-so deserves tickets. If you're speeding or whatever, you know you face a very real chance of getting fined. It's the gamble you take when you do it. Why does it have to be all about the cop writing the ticket rather than person doing the whatever-is-illegal?

Either do what's right, or know you can get dinged when you don't. Life is much simpler that way B)

At any rate, pony u see the new supremes ruling on pursuits?

https://www.policeone.com/suspect-pursuit/articles/1241534/

score! :clapping: