My mate Howie has lost his ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
Howie Mainwaring Based in Frodsham Cheshire UK.

At the last moment before the season begins his team owner has had to pull the plug due to a sponsorship deal that dind't transpire. They have the bikes and full setup ready to go, just no money to run it.

With all the best rides now taken Howie is left to wander the paddock at each meeting with his leathers and helmet waiting for a vacant seat. (Without wishing anyone bad luck, he is waiting for an injured rider to vacate).

In case you dont remember my ramblings about him last year, he is 22 and won on the MV at National level in the British Superstock championship. It was MV's first win in the UK (probably anywhere) for 35 years.

It was on a bank holiday Monday here and they were all watching at the MV factory in Italyon satelite TV. There was a call from the factory to the teamowner within minutes of the win offering Howie a ride in the World Superstocks at Monza the following weekend.

It was all a bit rushed but they got there in time and Howie impressed everyone by getting to within a second of the lap record after only 23 laps on a track he had never seen before.

Disaster struck when he hit fluid left by another bike and crashed at 180mph. He destroyed the bike and his leathers & helmet.

As well as a puncture wound to his thigh from a footrest he sustained a broken vertebrae. This was repaired with surgery and he was back in the British championship towards the end of the season. He put the bike on the front row on his return ride in the BSB, unfortunately the heavens opened during the race and it was stopped.

Practicing a week later, a gear box siezure at 100mph plus, left him with a broken hand which he had plated and just managed to recover from, in time for the last round of the season to finish 12th.

I and others have been trying to get him another ride all winter as we knew of the situation that his current team were in. Everyone we contacted would love him to ride for them, at national and world level, but they all want money. The minimum being £30,000.

Anyone fancy some transatlantic sponsorship?

On the MV Augusta

Howie1.jpg

Howie2.jpg

Howie-1.jpg

how05.jpg

In earlier years

howiebrandsc.jpg

HowieOulton05c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember you posting about him last year, and I was looking for a big year for him. That's a tough break, but he's still young.