My new ride, 2014 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magic, my friend: ancient chinese saying: man who think "when daddy's happy, everybody's happy" is = to the female side of that equation better measure dog before choosing doghouse.Gary

been there done that
Gary, what is this Doghouse thing of which you speak? I know of no such place. I'm single! :))

Congrats on the new ride. Mine is sitting at the dealership waiting to be taken out of the crate. What with all the snow and ice here in Vermont the dealer is in no hurry to assemble it (he is busy with snowmobiles right now anyway). I have PMS bad right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new ride. That front end noise you mention may be the Steering head net needing to be re-torqued. I and other have had a click/clunk noise when rolling over bumps. Re-torqueing the heat nut solved the problem. No need to pull clutch to change mode Tour/Sport.

In the interest of making that bike more provocative, remove those 1300 badges on the side fairings. You will likely have people walking up to your bike and ask if it a BMW!. Looks good with those bag reflectors removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is great looking! I have to put my 2013 up for sale soon and pick up a 14. I'm afraid Yamaha has screwed me bad with this years color choice.

Can I ask where you bought it, the waiting time, and how much you paid for it?

Oh, wait. I just did.
smile.png

Burleson Power Sports in Burleson, TX 16,900 OTD including tax etc

Harold is the owner and I bought a Raider from him in 2009. I have any service I cannot do, done with them. They are good to work with.

The funny part is that they did not have one. I had been gathering funds and planning on a fly and ride. I had seen a craigslist ad for a 14ES in Dallas but it disappeared and I assumed it had been sold. Well I gave Harold a call and asked him if he could get his hands on one. He got back to me the same day and said if I put a deposit down he would have it the next day. I gave him $500 and he went and picked it up. I paid the balance almost two weeks later. Nice guy.

I know I paid pretty much sticker price, but I needed it bad and I like to support good people/dealers.

I figured that a new, high demand model would not be discounted much, if at all, without doing a lot of traveling. And then, airfare would eat up a substantial part of the savings.

I just checked my card file. I met Harold at the Dallas motorcycle show.

Thanks.

Yessirrom, You got a damn fair deal. Considering the high demand for this (ES) bike you did good. I paid list price plus trans/dealer set up, CA sales tax and registration. OTD was $20K. The dealer did throw in Y.E.S. I shopped at all local (N. CA) dealers and there was no better deal.

Congrats on the new ride. That front end noise you mention may be the Steering head net needing to be re-torqued. I and other have had a click/clunk noise when rolling over bumps. Re-torqueing the heat nut solved the problem. No need to pull clutch to change mode Tour/Sport.In the interest of making that bike more provocative, remove those 1300 badges on the side fairings. You will likely have people walking up to your bike and ask if it a BMW!. Looks good with those bag reflectors removed.
I'd check that steering head too, but also grab your front rotors and try to rotate them back and forth.... these floating rotors might click for a bit until you get some road splooge build-up on the rivets.....

I had the dealer check it out twice. The lead tech says it feels good to him. He can tell what I am talking about but he thinks it is just normal movement in the suspension / front tupperware. He did not re-torque the steering head. I am going to buy a socket and and re-do it myself. I am also going to check the torque on everything else up front just to put my mind at ease. I will report back if I track it down or not.

Thanks all, for the advice / comments.

Time to do the first fluid change, 600 on the odo.

I remember my 08 rattled a lot more in the front end that any other MC that I ever owned. Checked everything in the front, and the only way I could duplicate the sound is when I would grab the rotor and try to rotate them forward and backward. Those floating rotors have a lot of movement to them. Try applying your front brakes slightly when you hear the rattle on rough roads. When I would do that, the rattle would go away.

I remember my 08 rattled a lot more in the front end that any other MC that I ever owned. Checked everything in the front, and the only way I could duplicate the sound is when I would grab the rotor and try to rotate them forward and backward. Those floating rotors have a lot of movement to them. Try applying your front brakes slightly when you hear the rattle on rough roads. When I would do that, the rattle would go away.
My front brake rotors would rattle like a garbage can lid when driving over expansion joints at lower speeds. Drove me nuts until I figured out where it was coming from and that it wasn't hurting anything.