My opinion of State Farm motorcycle insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Here's a couple paragraphs from the recent letter I sent to State Farm. Admittedly, my gripe is much more with my local agent than State Farm in general. But one enables the bad behavior of the other IMHO.

Recently I moved my motorcycle coverage to another carrier. I called the local agency (funny, I first typed Agent and then backspaced to retype agency!), never expecting and knowing better than to expect a conversation with an agent, about why I was changing carriers. A very nice and courteous young lady helped me with understanding State Farm’s position. She said “yeah, a lot of people say our motorcycle rates are not good”. That was the explanation I was offered and the totally encompassing concern State Farm showed for losing another aspect of my 30-year business.
The Agent never called, wrote or questioned anything. I suspect that his numbers are very good in State Farm. The Jacksonville NC area has such a high turnover rate due to the military in the area, that I bet his stats are magnificent compared to other areas of the country. I suspect that if I ever got to see the inside of his office that he has lots of plaques and awards for “best this and best that”. After all, State Farm has moved from focusing on being a Good Neighbor to having good numbers.

Well here’s a good number for you to share with every State Farm stockholder and board member you can,

That’s the number State Farm is struggling to achieve. That’s State Farm minus me. I can’t help but wonder how much meaning -1 has to State Farm.

I've had enough gettting companies to cancel services that I'd welcome someone just accepting my decision and taking down the information, rather than wasting my time trying to "win me back". Did you ask for a better rate, or did you simply want them to grovel?

I've used SF for thirty-years also and have had generally good service. Their motorcycle rates seem quite good to me - I typically only carry liablity now, but I've sometimes carried full coverage with low-deductables for around $300 or so a year which was much better than anyone else I checked. The only drawback was that you had to carry your car with them also - I think they use this as a method to weed out "bike-only" clients who are probably the highest risk.

- Mark

I just dropped my State Farm coverage and switched to American Motorcyle. I paid the new carrier for one year what State Farm wanted for 6 mo. Also now I have med payments and SF does not offer it.

I (had) automobile, motorcyle and homeowners with SF. Asked about a better rate. Got the quoted response.

IMHO if SF won't do anything for a 30-year customer, well... kissing my ass is just not satisfying enough. We'll see what response I get from the letter (if any).

My current coverage is superior in a couple ways to the SF, and as also shared above, is about the same for one year as six months with SF.

I just dropped my State Farm coverage and switched to American Motorcyle. I paid the new carrier for one year what State Farm wanted for 6 mo. Also now I have med payments and SF does not offer it.
When I moved to Phoenix from Chicago, I couldn't believe how much higher State Farm's rates were in Arizona than in Illinois. My costs from State Farm for 2 cars, 1 bike and homeowners DOUBLED! So, after 30+ years with them, I also left. I now have Country Insurance and the costs are back down to acceptable levels.

Maybe it's a regional thing.? <_<

Mike

Maybe it's a regional thing.? <_<
I am sure that it is. I live in Eastern Washington and pay 16 percent of my annual premium for each of the months of June, July, and August -- and 12 percent for each of the months of May and September. The insurance is almost free in November, December, January, and February because those months only cost me 2 percent a month.

I would guess that if I lived in Arizona and was able to actually ride my bike all 12 months of the year then the annual premium would be a lot higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have pretty much all of my insurance through State Farm. I know their rates are higher than I could get with other agencies, but the State Farm rep is a longtime family friend, AND I have had FRICKING AWSOME service with claims. This goes for both auto and home. Helps that another friend of mine owns a State Farm preferred body shop, but when we had a "Super Cell" come through our area a few years ago, SF sent in a disaster team from Texas and they were nothing short of OUTSTANDING. Not to plug State Farm, but for me they have been great. (Heard they are trying to screw over some Katrina victims though)

I'm guessing there are lots of factors including geography and the risk rating/claims history you have with them. I live in NJ ...one of the highest insurance states in the country and I've always had good rates on bikes and good service on claims (homeowners).

I pay less than $800 a year for my two bikes and I LOVE the fact they don't care what kind of bike you have (other than cc). Otherwise the insurance on my K12S would probably triple!

In Ontario when you say the "M" word you can almost hear the $ka-ching$ in the background. We were with an independent broker and our bikes were with a company that supposedly has the best rates for motorcycles. When we switched to State Farm we saved almost $1000 between the 2 bikes and the snowmobile. The auto and house rates were about the same, but they seem to think of the bikes as just an add on, not some bad risk, like everyone else.

The rates, the service, the available policies and coverage limits, etc... they're ALL regional.

Sadly.

I have had nothing short of exceptional service and rates from SF. The rates I was quoted when I bought my '05 were cheaper with State Farm than any other carrier I tried (however, they were including a multi vehicle discount). But here lately the rumors are flying about not only State Farm, but several major carriers... ie, Nationwide, All State, State Farm, and MetLife, due to our new governor, Charlie Crist and his war on insurance premiums, they are going to just drop FL customers and pull out of the state all together. FL insurance carriers are so far behind due to our hurricanes that they are unwilling to lower rates and say it would be fincially more secure for them to just leave FL all together.

I've had enough gettting companies to cancel services that I'd welcome someone just accepting my decision and taking down the information, rather than wasting my time trying to "win me back". Did you ask for a better rate, or did you simply want them to grovel?
I've used SF for thirty-years also and have had generally good service. Their motorcycle rates seem quite good to me - I typically only carry liablity now, but I've sometimes carried full coverage with low-deductables for around $300 or so a year which was much better than anyone else I checked. The only drawback was that you had to carry your car with them also - I think they use this as a method to weed out "bike-only" clients who are probably the highest risk.

- Mark
+1

jim

+1 on regional...

Napa, California State Farm was the cheapest that I could find & their service is first class. An uninsured motorist backed into my bike doing about $2,800 worth of damage and they sent me a check. I then purchased the needed parts from University Motors. Saved enough to buy a Bill Mayer saddle + some other farkles.

Stu :)

+1

$370 a year full coverage and maxed on medical and uninsured motorist. I do have a $1000 deductible but w/ the idiots here if they t-bone me the bikes gone anyway and at that point I'm more worried about keeping all my limbs. My lawyer/best friend will take of the rest, and what he doesn't I'll take care of when I'm healed <_<

Out here they insure it on its own/standalone policy. I aked why and they said bikes don't usually stay in policy for long. Doesn't leave a very good impression of bike owners to me,then again I can't remember the last mc accident I had where the driver had insurance. Out of probably 35 or so I can honestly think of 3-4 that had insurance, and they were fine at the scene. The others were either too drunk to be fucked up,died or took someone else's life. That's why my sister is ATGATT, if I find out otherwise she gets an earful, besides the guilt trip. God help anybody that hurts her on a bike w/o a license :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts