My son needs a helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my son turns 10 this month and I think he is responsible enough and attentive enough to give a couple rides on the FJR. I will get gloves, etc. and bought a belt buddy. But I live in the middle of nowhere with few options for kids helmets, and only saw two children's street helmets for sale within 75 miles. So I think that means going through the internet. Any advice on brands, how to size, other than a tape measure around the head just above the ears (we all have had experience with how well that may or may not work), etc.

All feedback welcome (Can't believe I wrote that so TwoWheelNut will read it).

TIA

Well, my son turns 10 this month and I think he is responsible enough and attentive enough to give a couple rides on the FJR. I will get gloves, etc. and bought a belt buddy. But I live in the middle of nowhere with few options for kids helmets, and only saw two children's street helmets for sale within 75 miles. So I think that means going through the internet. Any advice on brands, how to size, other than a tape measure around the head just above the ears (we all have had experience with how well that may or may not work), etc.
All feedback welcome (Can't believe I wrote that so TwoWheelNut will read it).

TIA
Well, I can't really help you with the equipment for your boy. However, I can sugget that you talk to these folks, https://www.helmetharbor.com/ . They were very helpful when I bought my Suomy. I highly recommend them.

Rick

SPU, if you don't mind driving to Medford, you have a few more options. Motorcycle Superstore has a store here in town. They show a lot of stuff on their internet site but do not stock that much in the store but may still have more stuff than anyone in Roseburg. Call and ask. 541-842-4496. The Honda/Kawasaki dealer has a pretty large selection. Again, call and ask, good people here. There is also a Suzuki dealer and of course Yamaha along with a couple other independent moto gear shops. Yellow page check. May be worth killing a Saturday comming to Medford. Just a thought. A moto (dirtbike) style helmet and goggles may be a good choice as once he rides with you, you will be lookin at a dualsport for you and a dirt bike for him. :yahoo:

If he's 10 he's probably good to go...

It's had to get the proper fit without having them try them on though.

I have multiple HJC hemlets for the kids ranging from an adult Small to a couple of the kids sizes. The smallest has to wear a nit cap to help make the smallest helmet fit well, but it gets the job done.

-MD

Thanks guys. Good ideas. I will be in Eugene tommorownight and might look up a few dealerships and see what they have, but I hadn't thought of Medford. And I played witht he idea of an off-road helmet, but was afrain of having my helmet "pecked" with his :) Besides, I don't have the money for a couple more bikes just now and don't want to temp him ;-)

I guess I was hoping for an easy way out, but traveling with him for a sizing is probably the safest and best long-term solution to a good fit.

I guess I was hoping for an easy way out, but traveling with him for a sizing is probably the safest and best long-term solution to a good fit.
Simple question back at you.....

Not sure of your geographics over there, but...what price your son's head comfort/safety? Yes, it may be inconvenient now, but IMHO, the drive/time spent in getting a correct size for him, will make the time you two spend together on the bike...simply brilliant.

He's your son...go the extra mile. :good: :love:

My 9 year old son just recently outgrew an HJC CL-14Y (Y designation referring to 'youth') helmet. (It is a true street helmet, i.e. not motocross style). Being a "youth' helmet, it has a proportionately downsized shell; HJC offered it S/M/L size; we purchased it when he was ~ 7 1/2 yrs old, got it from CycleGear. In his case, with his big head, he took a 'large' size. Now that he outgrew it, we had to move him up to an adult 'extra-small'. As others mentioned, try before you buy. Lastly, we found a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in 'women small' that fits him perfect; (he's avg ht/wt) and we were able to get it in their standard silver color, which matches mine. FYI, JRs new womens sizes run ridiculously small, but at least it can serve the youth market.

Simple question back at you.....

Not sure of your geographics over there, but...what price your son's head comfort/safety? Yes, it may be inconvenient now, but IMHO, the drive/time spent in getting a correct size for him, will make the time you two spend together on the bike...simply brilliant.

He's your son...go the extra mile. :good: :love:
You are right. 'Nuf said

My 9 year old son just recently outgrew an HJC CL-14Y (Y designation referring to 'youth') helmet. (It is a true street helmet, i.e. not motocross style). Being a "youth' helmet, it has a proportionately downsized shell; HJC offered it S/M/L size; we purchased it when he was ~ 7 1/2 yrs old, got it from CycleGear. In his case, with his big head, he took a 'large' size. Now that he outgrew it, we had to move him up to an adult 'extra-small'. As others mentioned, try before you buy. Lastly, we found a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in 'women small' that fits him perfect; (he's avg ht/wt) and we were able to get it in their standard silver color, which matches mine. FYI, JRs new womens sizes run ridiculously small, but at least it can serve the youth market.
Good tip on the jacket....funny, plenty of kids leather jackets around here to choose. Hadn't thought of women's sizes....