my stupid complacent mistake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
Last Wednesday morning I go outside to mount up for the daily commute. The FJR is outside and it's earlier than normal (6 a.m. and still dark out). I rock the bike back and then forward to get off the main kick stand. Before I could realize what is happening the bike begins to lean to the left and over on the bag. I was able to help the bike down which minimized any damage. It took everything I had to get her back upright. I knew this bike was heavy but YIKES!! Why is this thing so top heavy? I have never minded "top heavy" in the past. Now I’m thinking this is a negative. I wonder if Yamaha could do anything to lighten the load on this bike. I'm assuming the bulk of the weight is in the engine?

In the midst of my adrenaline rush and panic I managed to acquire a small half dollar size dent in the left side of the tank. Not sure how this happened but figure it had to be while trying to pick the big girl up off the ground. Can the small dent be repaired? Or will I have to replace the tank? I’m trying to convenience myself that the dent adds character and uniqueness. But every time I look at my FJR now it's the very first thing I see.

Needless to say, the rest of my Wednesday was ruined. At least this happened in the driveway and not in a busy intersection. Hopefully this will be my last stupid and complacent mistake. I hope Yamaha does not make this bike any heavier in future models. I think she's maxed out as it is!

As for 'top heavy', the FJR is not supposed to be on it's side. I don't think 'easy to pick up' is considered as much of a design objective.

And were you taking it off the 'centerstand'?

I'm feeling for you, dropping your beauty is never a fun thing.

It is probably easier for a guy to pick them up.

We pick up the Harley's and they are 200 lbs heavier. It is in the technique, not the strength.

The dent can be repaired (dents are better than creases for repairing). Any decent body shop should be able to do it. I would also cruise ebay looking for a good tank, if a bike gets rear-ended the tank might survive unscathed. In fact there might be one in the DFW area coming up soon ...

I am pretty sure that Courtney is a guy, Slick. Agreed, it is in the technique, though. I am a woman & have picked my bike up... but it wasn't over past the saddlebags. That probably makes a difference.

The dent can be repaired (dents are better than creases for repairing). Any decent body shop should be able to do it. I would also cruise ebay looking for a good tank, if a bike gets rear-ended the tank might survive unscathed. In fact there might be one in the DFW area coming up soon ...
Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?
Follow the link Clicky

As for 'top heavy', the FJR is not supposed to be on it's side. I don't think 'easy to pick up' is considered as much of a design objective.

hAR!!!! B)

Yup... She was on the centerstand.

It is probably easier for a guy to pick them up.We pick up the Harley's and they are 200 lbs heavier. It is in the technique, not the strength.

Thanks to this forum, I was able to get the bike up. I remember several months back finding a link explaining the technique and how to get a bike back up to normal position.

Even with the technique the FJR was no light weight. I'm sure there are heavier bikes but I'd have to say mine is plenty heavy enough for me.

BTW, My last name is Courtney and first name is John. I'm a guy...

Technically, the bike is only top heavy when it's standing up right.

After you drop it it's more side heavy... :rolleyes:

I prefer the top heavy mode...

Last edited by a moderator:
Meeself,I always mount up before I roll it off the centerstand. Otherwise, if it starts to lean away from you it's all over.. Learned that years ago when I threw my big Sazook against my pickup truck.

What I do.

When on the centre stand, I leave the side stand out also. Move the bike forward, and as it starts to go hold it with the front brake lever to ensure it does not go off the centre stand with a big bang!! Once off teh centre stand, use the side stand before mounting the bike.

First I never used the front brake, then it went off the centre stand too quickly, and always fell to a side of its choice. Now it doesn't.

I did close to the same thing last week with my two week old AE.

Pulled into my driveway and tried to do a real sharp u-turn when I was tired after a long day at work and over she went. Scratched my mirror and saddlebags, but I was more embarrassed than anything. I am not a big guy, but I was able to pick her up and now my approach to my garage and anytime I am moving the bike is completely focused.

This bike only feels top-heavy standing still (or laying down :angry2: ), in motion it feels very light and nimble.

Courtney,

There is a guy who does paintless dent removal that comes out to Townsend Ford in Bessemer ever Wed morning. He's done several small dents for me on my cage. Call the used car office out there.

BTW, I never use my centerstand except when doing sevice work. Already had one hernia surgury!

Sorry it happened to you. Even knowing the technique the FJR is a heavy(top or side ) bike to lift. I too am now always focused on the bike when moving it.

Here's to it never hapening again!

Rick