mystery decals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiaboy71

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum. I've got a 07' FJR. The paint scheme is dark silver in the front going to light silver in the back. Question.....i've seen pictures of an FJR thats my color but it has two stripes on the lower front coweling. With one matching going around the bottom of the tank. Did Yamaha ever produce these stripes in the factory or is after market? I can't find the decals in any OEM store or database. Only in the photo i saw and at premier's online store. What's the deal?

thanks for any help.

G.B. 71

There are some European models which come from the factory with the stripes. Other than that, you have to do them yourself.

They get a choice of colors, too. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. thanks. any idea if their "metallic silver" actually matches the bikes paint? Are they decent decals....fairly inexpensive......cheaply made or a quality product?

I really like the look but I wan it to look "right"........can a professional use these and make them look factory installed or is it best to leave them alone?

There I several vendors making these decals aftermarket. Check with forum member "Alex," he may have some available.

The European models got the stripes, Yamaha went plain with us. I've always loved the stripes on the Euro model so I got them myself from Premier Cycle Accessories.

I installed them on my '07 FJR and they look awesome as long as you follow their instructions. It took about two hours, painter's tape, non-ammonia based glass cleaner, and an extra set of eyes. It's a bit tedious but well worth it. I think the silver is pretty darn close; it's also available in black if you so choose to go dark with it.

The stripes are quality. I've had them on my bike for over 50,000 miles and there's no sign of peeling, bubbling, etc. You just have to get the installation right the first time. :)

Note: There's an additional stripe on the tank by my tank bra is covering it up.

190565_977894125205_3402780_51085129_7359804_n.jpg

Thanks for the info. It was most helpful. There's a local shop that does custom work and decals, pen striping, etc. I'll take the project to them and hopefully they won't skin me alive on the application. I'm no artist or professional and I'm just anal enough that my own handy work would never be good enough. The stripes make the bike look "balanced" in my opinion. All that dark silver needs a little breaking up.

Thanks again. I'll be posting often enough........the bike only has 130 miles on it and it being new I have a ton of questions. It's a huge step up from my 89' FJ1200.

Don't stop at the fairing stripes, pannier stripes add 5 horse power:

Spider bit at Yellowstone, waiting for the tow truck last year:

rainYellowstone.jpg

I also have the decals that you are inquiring about. I really like them and feel that it compliments the bike well.

592396690_photobucket_6216_.jpg

Here are the stripes I think you are looking for. For the price, you can't beat the satisfaction of doin it yourself! It is really an easy install...........here is the end result.....
DSC00971.jpg
Go for it!!

rainYellowstone.jpg
Hey, WAIT a minute. If it's the stripes that gave you all those extra horses, how do I know they didn't disable the damn bike?

And here's another, and pretty much unrelated, question:

Do ALL Canadians pronounce decals "DECK-els," which rhymes with "freckles?"

freckles.jpg

(Note: THESE are freckles.)

(Note: DAMN, I likes me some freckles.)

Do any NON-Canadians likewise butcher the pronunciation of DEE-KALES? This is important. I must know.

I had a bunch of freckles on the right lower cowling of my 05 Feej, but a local auto body shop fixed it up for me. Now it's shiny and pretty again. Side note, the painter took one look at the my midnight blue FJR and said, "That's got some pearl in it." I gave him Yammie's paint code (thanks "bin of facts") and he matched it PERFECTLY. Just got it bolted back together and ordered some new decals for about 10 bucks (vs Yammie's 50+ bucks EACH) from this site clicky. They come in a bunch of colors and sizes. Can't vouch for the quality, but I know other forum members can, that's where I got the link. Will let cha know how they turn out. I do know that the smallest one is just about the same exact size as the Gen 1 - OE decal, however please note that though they are very similar, but they ARE NOT identical to the originals.

Gary

darksider #44

The stripes add a lot to the looks. On the left side of my tank, there's a bit of wear on the tape, but it's probably just from my 'Stich rubbing it.

kerr-dam-2.jpg

rainYellowstone.jpg
Wow...that sure is a pretty FJR. Sorry about the spider ruining your trip Marty. :(
[hijack]

2000 miles away from home and $1100 for towing - $650 back to the gate and $450 to Cody. Nice thing was the tow truck driver that took 5 hrs to get to us and another 5 hours to get us to the gate at Yellowstone gave us the $20 tour, knew everything, pointed out everything, stopped for photos, and it only cost $650.00... [/hijack]

The stripes are simple to apply. Wash the bike, wet with soapy water, lay the decals on, slide them in position (I had Sally at eye level to make sure they all lined up) and used a credit card to scrape the bubbles out, let dry. Easy Peasy!

Do ALL Canadians pronounce decals "DECK-els," which rhymes with "freckles?"

Do any NON-Canadians likewise butcher the pronunciation of DEE-KALES? This is important. I must know.
This could be discussed all day https://wmtc.blogspot.com/2007/10/pronounciation-question.html

However, to me, the normal rules of English would say to be pronounced DEE, it would indeed have to be a double 'e' or another 'e' after the 'c' to make it become a hard 'e'. There isn't one, so my spin is it is pronounced 'deckal'. The other way just makes it sound like a southern drawl. I say just go with what makes you happy, as the dictionaries say it can be both ways.

Nest, shall we try "applique"?