Mystery Oil Leak?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter10

Reaction score
so my 04 with just over 30k has been on the center stand for 1 week and today I notice a few drops of oil from under the oil filter area... took a feel under the engine bout 3 or 4 inches under the bike past the oil filter and the metal (for a lack of better words) or base of the engine had a slight film to it. changed the oil last fall and have ridden about 100 miles and no issues till this. Is there a seal in this area that could fail or any other reason this would occur? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly believe there's a bit of seepage at the oil filter seal...a drop of oil with blow back onto the bottom of the engine with air/wind blowing toward the rear at speed

It's important to: clean the flat mating surface on the engine; oil up the rubber seal on the new filter (I also make sure there's oil on the threads of the filter)

some or maybe finger a thin film of clean oil on the flat mating surface...turn the filter hand tight or approx 1/2 to 2/3 turn past the point the seal touches the engine

I also pre-fill the filter

Of course, all this is using fresh, clean oil

You might figure out if the filter might be on too loose or too tight and adjust

I have found filters in the past (currently only have used Mama Yammy filters on the Feej) have not been very good concerning the seal like one brand the O Ring had a tendency to remove itself from the groove in the filter during installation

(it was HiFlo or Emgo I believe...probably Emgo)

hope this might help

and don't despair as you DO have the best Feej made, ya know... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two other thoughts. The metal boss on the engine below the filter (with the hole in it) can catch oil as the old filter is spun off and oil drains. Later this oil is pulled out of the cavity with air flow when riding causing "spooge" (scientific term for dirty oil) accumulation under the engine in that location (below the filter).

Next time you change filters, shoot a little contact cleaner and / or compressed air into the hole below the filter and you will see where the spilage exits. Easy to wipe off.

The other thought probably not relevant since you said under the engine, not on the floor. The shock sits just behind this area, and could dispense drops on the floor if seal is leaking. Not likely to be found on the engine though. Might take a quick look at base of shock body.

Two other thoughts. The metal boss on the engine below the filter (with the hole in it) can catch oil as the old filter is spun off and oil drains. Later this oil is pulled out of the cavity with air flow when riding causing "spooge" (scientific term for dirty oil) accumulation under the engine in that location (below the filter).
ah yes...I've had old oil pool in the crevis(s) of the plastic...I believe the "arm" of plastic running front to rear under the filter

that's was before I used foil to block such mess per fjrtech.com

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=33

Next time you change filters, shoot a little contact cleaner and / or compressed air into the hole below the filter and you will see where the spilage exits. Easy to wipe off.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I just changed my oil last night and stuffed a little piece of paper towel in the top of that casting to stop it from filling up with oil. This got me thinking about permanently filling that hole with some RTV, but I was in a hurry so didn't do it. Maybe next oil change....

I was going to suggest the same thing. I just changed my oil last night and stuffed a little piece of paper towel in the top of that casting to stop it from filling up with oil. This got me thinking about permanently filling that hole with some RTV, but I was in a hurry so didn't do it. Maybe next oil change....

thanks for all the input guys.... the area is dry today so I guess it was from settling and made it's way down there.