NAFO Law Enforcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No performance awards here but I sure deserved some. I soon realized that all those cars and trucks were not actually parked in the right hand lane........ it just looked that way from my perspective. :blink: I love that bike!

I did not obey all of the posted speed limits. I thoroughly enjoyed riding in the states I visited but when the coast was clear on the vast prairies I di twist the right wrist a bit.
Yes, Colorado has a different approach to controlling speed through corners but it wasn't all that wearisome to me as I rather enjoyed soaking in the scenery and vista-views at a more relaxed pace. One of my riding partners rode rather briskly coming down the mountain from RMNP and I followed, but the radar detector did alert us to a couple of possibilities and we behaved like "good boys".

35 & 45 mph speed limits in some of the areas I travelled (Hwy 131, Hwy 24, Hwy 133, Hwy 145/"Lizard Head Pass) had some wearisome speeds but there was always a reason I could see, like sharp corners or a small township, and I kept in mind that those speed limits are also there in the Winter.

All in all, I think CO does a good job and it wasn't "overly enforced" (though the two separate City Officers in Granby were each "pinging" away at TurboDave and I). Actually, my Colorado experience isn't much different than the treatment I expect in the Gold-era towns along Hwy 49 in CA.
As i remember Mike you were not riding that slow while i was following you and Tim and i managed my first 100+ speed of the whole weekend.

Of course that all changed on the way home.

R

As i remember Mike you were not riding that slow while i was following you and Tim and i managed my first 100+ speed of the whole weekend.
Oh, SNAP!

The way he talks, it seems like he sure shouldn't need that radar detector....ya think ya know a guy....

I got stopped for 110 in a 65 in Arizona.
I was on a two lane highway, saw him approach and immediately thought, "OK, that's not a cop, I'm good." As soon as he passed me, he anchored the brakes, and started to flip a u-turn. I know what he was thinking when he got me. He was thinking, "If this guy runs, he's gonna be at least 2 miles down the road by the time I finish my two point u-turn and I'm gonna have to red line this car just to come close to catching up to him." Instead, I immediately anchored the brakes and pulled over a few hundred yards from where he did the u-turn. As he approached, I took a swig of water from my Camelback and prepared for the worst. He said, "110 in a 65". I simultaneously said, "I know, I'm sorry for having to make you pull me over." He commented about how hot I must be in full riding gear. I told him, "I dress for the crash, not the ride." He asked where I was heading and I told him my destination for the day as well as my overall trip thus far including final destination. He simply said, "Slow down a bit and watch out for the wild life", turned around and walked back to his car, did a u-turn and drove off.

Great story. So, you're saying that your badge never came out and no reference to being "on the job" was ever mentioned? I'm impressed.

I thought I was getting away with something for consistently traveling at 10 over the whole way to NAFO. That persisted only until I got there. I rode through two speed traps in Nebraska at 10 over that I didn't see in time. None of the cruisers budged. Then, on the way home, I passed through one of those "Your Speed Is" radar signs SOLO for the first time. Seems my speedo reads about 6mph optimistically at an indicated 80mph. No wonder I didn't get pulled over - my 10 over was really 4 over. Also, I heard from a few NAFO attendees that 10 over in Nebraska isn't going to draw any attention; you need 20 over for that.

Interestingly, I passed a bunch-o radar signs on the way to NAFO. In an uncanny way, I was always surrounded by many cages and semis going a lot slower than I was. This created a lot of fun for me. I'd be ripping along at an indicated 85 mph, and the sign would read "Your speed is 62". Ha!!!! The Feejer makes a really, really small radar profile. I love it.

Oh, SNAP!

The way he talks, it seems like he sure shouldn't need that radar detector....ya think ya know a guy....
The "ton" mark was whilst passing a line of cars on Hwy 285 on the open prairie (IIRC, around 10,000' elevation). One should actually use their tools, electronic computers and the one that resides between one's ears.

A wise person trust that their will actually be enforcement present and makes their best decision as to where and when they might enjoy the power and speed of their chosen mode of transportation, i.e., not near small townships that rely on the collected revenue to enhance their budget or that feel the need to protect the local citizenry from hooligan visitors.

A wise person trust that their will actually be enforcement present and makes their best decision as to where and when they might enjoy the power and speed of their chosen mode of transportation, i.e., not near small townships that rely on the collected revenue to enhance their budget or that feel the need to protect the local citizenry from hooligan visitors.
Where's the fun in that?

Where's the fun in that?
Then that same person shouldn't complain or worry about the possible/probable costs and fines of their behavior..... :eek: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story. So, you're saying that your badge never came out and no reference to being "on the job" was ever mentioned? I'm impressed.
I thought I was getting away with something for consistently traveling at 10 over the whole way to NAFO. That persisted only until I got there. I rode through two speed traps in Nebraska at 10 over that I didn't see in time. None of the cruisers budged. Then, on the way home, I passed through one of those "Your Speed Is" radar signs SOLO for the first time. Seems my speedo reads about 6mph optimistically at an indicated 80mph. No wonder I didn't get pulled over - my 10 over was really 4 over.
Remember, because of the position of the radar units that display those signs, the signs may not display the actual speed due to the cosign effect. In other words, the radar unit is not in the exact line of sight of your vehicle, it is at an angle. The benefit always goes to the vehicle. So, the sign that reads a few mph off, may only be due to the cosign effect.

As for my stop, I never had a chance to even tell him I was armed let alone anything else.

In reference to the helmet issue; back in the seventies there were some pretty large anti helmet protests at the Capital. The cruiser guys made a big and successful push for admonishment of that law and personal freedom, right to ride as they chose. So they one and sunglasses were forever the safety rule for riding. The governor at the was sick of the bitching and figured let them ride how they choose,it's their heads. There is some casual talk of trying to bring the law back,but I doubt it. Too many green issues to worry about. There are usually two or three crashes a day on the traffic news.

I'm gonna have to be one of the politically incorrect on this thread... We flogged the speed limits pretty much the whole way to NAFO, up to Yellowstone and back to Virginny. The V1 helped, but there was very little enforcement of any kind (especially compared to what I'm used to on my half of the country).

We hit triple digits regularly and often. If I could remember them, I could probably count the number of cops I saw on one hand. Not bad at all for nearly two weeks of riding. ;)

On the way back going 90 down the interstate, I just had looked in the mirrors as we were going down the passing lane, no one was there. A second later I look again a trooper is right on my tail. He was really moving. No lights. Nada. So, I pullover to the right side lane and let him by. No ticket.....Must have just been out for a cruise.

On Sunday morning, after I decided to go through Kansas against all advice from those who had done that on the way there, I was traveling more than a little above the posted speed limit and noticed a LEO in the median. Hmmm, wonder why my radar detector hasn't gone off. Holy, &^^%$, the detector is showing a full blast of Ka band but I never heard anything. Not good. As I was waiting for the polite LEO to write my performance award I noticed a plug dangling in front of my instrument cluster. That plug should be plugged into the radar detector. Damn. Wonder when that fell out.... The plug attaches the sound from the radar detector to my Ampli Rider which then sends it to my helmet.

Nice of the polite LEO to write the amount of the fine on the summons. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I was warned by others at NAFO and my own observations, so I toned it down in CO. As for the other 10 states I rode through, well... One stretch I only got 137 miles from a tank of gas and was on reserve when I pulled in to fill up. That was fun. Warned in Oregon, but got off.

I got stopped for 110 in a 65 in Arizona.
I was on a two lane highway, saw him approach and immediately thought, "OK, that's not a cop, I'm good." As soon as he passed me, he anchored the brakes, and started to flip a u-turn. I know what he was thinking when he got me. He was thinking, "If this guy runs, he's gonna be at least 2 miles down the road by the time I finish my two point u-turn and I'm gonna have to red line this car just to come close to catching up to him." Instead, I immediately anchored the brakes and pulled over a few hundred yards from where he did the u-turn. As he approached, I took a swig of water from my Camelback and prepared for the worst. He said, "110 in a 65". I simultaneously said, "I know, I'm sorry for having to make you pull me over." He commented about how hot I must be in full riding gear. I told him, "I dress for the crash, not the ride." He asked where I was heading and I told him my destination for the day as well as my overall trip thus far including final destination. He simply said, "Slow down a bit and watch out for the wild life", turned around and walked back to his car, did a u-turn and drove off.

No checking my ID, no asking for my name, nothing. I'm hypothesizing that my immediately stopping, being in full gear, and apologizing to him for making him pull me over combined with him probably being at the end of his shift added up to a gentle warning.

I just know I am extremely lucky! And grateful!

In Eastern Colorado before getting to NAFO, I opened her up to maximum speed and got to just about 160 on the speedo, but only 150 on the GPS. I was amazed at the stability at the speed, but I have no real desire to do it again, it was just a spur of the moment impulse.
Pony,

Glad to hear you didn't run into a Brother in Blue that needed a tag.

WW