Natchez Trace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonroe

Reaction score
To All,

I saw Alton Brown doing a ride on the Natchez Trace and it looked interesting. I love the Blue Ridge Parkway and whatnot and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the Natchez Trace.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks for the feedback,

Mark

hi mark...

mississippi is my spiritual home... and i lived just off the trace years back...

the trace is a beautiful slow ride... fairly heavily patrolled... not too many scenic vistas as on the brp, but nice and sedate ride with many interpretative signs along the route to learn of the important history the trace played in mississippi history...

my alma matter has a big event the same time as eom:

https://frenchcamp.org/NatchezTrace_site/natchez_events.php

they have a very nice bed and breakfast, and Every Saturday in October Sorghum Molasses is cooked the old fashioned way.

https://frenchcamp.org/NatchezTrace_site/mainpage.html

maybe you can find info about the tennessee portion, or search google, from the national park service natchez trace page...

good luck, and try not to fall too much in love with mississippi...

dana

A friend of mine and I rode the lower part of the Trace last year on our way to Birmingham/Barber Motorsports park. It's not as scenic as the Blue Ridge Parkway, or as twisty as some park roads. It's a nice slow ride (make sure you have your RD turned on... there's plenty of LEOs patrolling) through some pretty country. I just want to go there again to try the Heavenly Chicken.... lol...

I had always wanted to ride the " Trace " from one end to the other. Finally did it last year and was totally disappointed. Perhaps I was thinking it would be more like the BRP. It was not. I started at the southern end ( Natchez ...what a neat little town ) and rode it all the way north. Everybody to their own thing, but I found the ride to be extremely boring.... very little elevation changes ( until you get within about 40-50 miles of Nashville ) and pretty straight for most of the way. The only bright spot for me was having some really scrumptious food at a place called French Camp. It was on my " hit list " of rides I wanted to do. Having done it, you couldn't pay me money to do it again. Not even BIG money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had always wanted to ride the " Trace " from one end to the other. Finally did it last year and was totally disappointed. Perhaps I was thinking it would be more like the BRP. It was not. I started at the southern end ( Natchez ...what a neat little town ) and rode it all the way north. Everybody to their own thing, but I found the ride to be extremely boring.... very little elevation changes ( until you get within about 40-50 miles of Nashville ) and pretty straight for most of the way. The only bright spot for me was having some really scrumptious food at a place called French Camp. It was on my " hit list " of rides I wanted to do. Having done it, you couldn't pay me money to do it again. Not even BIG money.
Gunny+1

There were three of us two years ago in lower Mississippi. After about an hour and a half we jumped off of it.

I can agree with most assessments of the Trace. Bring your OldWing or Low Clearance Cruiser for anything south of Hwy 46(TN).

BUT, you can drag your pegs on some of the smoothest and most predictable sweepers in this area if you ride the top two sections. BUT, do not push it on the weekends. As mentioned, LEO's RV's and bicyclists are in abundance. Early weekday mornings or evening will involve less risk.

I use the Trace to get to some of the more challenging roads that cross and run parallel to it. Napier Lake Road is a good example. Hope this gives more incite.

Local Rider

<snip>To All,....thoughts are on the Natchez Trace.Thoughts/Ideas?
It's way different than the BRP. More of a history tour of a different place in time, events, etc. It's really beautiful in places, peaceful, can be a nice way to get to other roads (like TN13) -- but, it's definitely not 'racer road'. Get off and walk the 'old trace' -- or even ride parts of it in places. And ditto on French Camp.

A nice easy laid back road, no trucks, low speed limit (enforced), no businesses, nice scenery, and lots of wildlife (watch out for the turkeys this year). Probably more enjoyable on a cruiser (I tend to speed a little on my FJR :rolleyes: ) because there is very little tolerance for exceeding the speed limit.