Need A better windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eapple87

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newby, but have been a fan of this site since my 2006 Fjr 1300 AE purchase this past January. I hail from northern Illinois and have been wishing for warmer weather! It arrived Saturday, and have put on over 200 miles! I love the styling and power, but the wind on my helmet is too much. It sounds like CalSci windscreens are the best choice, but at 5'11' and 33" inseam, would medium or tall be the choice. Too large looking windscreen would be a turn off for such a sharp looking bike!! Any ideas?? In addition, I've been motorcycling for 40 years and have had many bikes, my most recent and (currently for sale) 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1600. Was tired with the confusion of looking like a Harley motorcycle (personally don't like them) but had a great ride, besides my son just bought a 2006 fr600, and I have to keep up with him!!

Hi all, I'm a newby, but have been a fan of this site since my 2006 Fjr 1300 AE purchase this past January. I hail from northern Illinois and have been wishing for warmer weather! It arrived Saturday, and have put on over 200 miles! I love the styling and power, but the wind on my helmet is too much. It sounds like CalSci windscreens are the best choice, but at 5'11' and 33" inseam, would medium or tall be the choice. Too large looking windscreen would be a turn off for such a sharp looking bike!! Any ideas?? In addition, I've been motorcycling for 40 years and have had many bikes, my most recent and (currently for sale) 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1600. Was tired with the confusion of looking like a Harley motorcycle (personally don't like them) but had a great ride, besides my son just bought a 2006 fr600, and I have to keep up with him!!

TWN, where are you.

Welcome to the site. Do some searches on CalSci and V-Stream windscreens. Both on this site and FJROwners forum. Or, just Google search "V-stream windscreen, FJR" w/o the quotes and the same for CalSci and Cee Bailey. You'll get a ton of info and impressions from various FJR owners that way. Both on older and on '06 style screens. There is also Rifle, but they seem to be losing favor over the newer options with center vents.

I wasn't looking for quiet, just some better shoulder protection, so I ride with a Givi screen bought through CaSporttouring.com.

Well, lemme chime in:

There is no 'best' aftermarket windscreen for the general population. Everyone's height and riding posture is different as is the individual bike set-up (seat, farkles - yes farkles, etc). Each of these factors will have bearing on how well the screen of your choice will affect wind flow, etc.

Here's my recent experience with the VStream...

I've been perfectly content with the stock screen on my '05, preferring to leave it in the down position - until I got my VStrom. It was then that I noted an unusual amount of wind noise (meaning; I never noticed the wind noise before, but it was there), especially around the left side of the helmet. It was becoming deafening, so I sprung for the $136 ;) version of the VStream. Mind you, I rode a stock FJR with the VStream and the ride was very quiet and un-buffeted, so I had no doubt that this was the screen for me. Wrong.

I slapped the screen on and the effect was little different than the stocker with merely a slight rise in the way the air hit my helmet and did nothing for the noise. Just by happenstance, while doing the preliminary testing, I rested my hand on the Skyway cruise control bracket that had recently been installed (at about the same my VStrom arrived) and guess what? The left side helmet noise went away. (Note to self: Call attorney to begin lawsuit proceedings against skyway for making me go deaf! :lol: ) However, the major part of the wind noise remained regardless of shield position.

While cruising around Death Valley with a bunch of other like minded misfits this weekend, I had occasion to raise my visor while at speed (to remove a disruptive piece of coagulated snot from my left nostril) and all went silent. So, merely lifting my visor in combination with the screen raised 2 inches gave me a quiet pocket.

In this case, I proved that the combination of the screen, my bike set-up (mostly the custom seat and risers) and my Shoei RF1000 (along with that damned CC bracket!) makes for a bad selection of screen for me or so that’s how I feel right now. I’ll fool around some with RadNutz ™ to see how they affect the flow. Right now, I’m just not into spending a wad of cash trying out umpteen different screens, especially since I’m in the market for a new lid that will change the flow once again.

So, take what you learn here and flip a coin on what might work for you. The good news is that any screen that you buy and find that it doesn’t work, can be sold here for half the price you bought it at!

Well, lemme chime in:......I’ll fool around some with RadNutz
Must...........................resist...........................temptation................

Must....................................walk.......................................away...

........................from...............keyboard.......... :dribble:

Well, lemme chime in:......I’ll fool around some with RadNutz
Must...........................resist...........................temptation................

Must....................................walk.......................................away...

........................from...............keyboard.......... :dribble:
Have you seen the RadNutz? They're hard to resist fooling with! :blink:

eapple87,

Is it noise or buffeting/pressure that's giving you problems (it's hard to have one & not the other, but not impossible)?

Ditto TWN on helmets & windstream. In terms of buffeting & noise, helmets make a huge difference. I have three lids & get different effects from each one with the stock screen. Although, with the price of new helmets it might be cheaper to go with a different screen.

tall

I've loved all three CBs I've owned thus far. Plus, they have the added advantage of possibly deflecting large, unidentified flying objects.

See this thread:

Buzzard Run

Thanks for your feedback on the wind noise with my 06' fjr. When I lean down just a couple of inches it becomes very nice and fairly quiet (can hear my xm radio!) Said I'm from northern Illinois (65 today) , small town named Winnebago.

Search, search, search.

Then get a CalSci. I am 6' even, have a medium and a set of spacers, but live in FL and need the air. Either the medium or tall will work for you.

-BD

If you're looking for quiet, based on your stats I'd say go with the Cee Bailey +6 wide +4 high. I have the +6 +6 and I sit a couple inches taller than you based on your inseam vs height. When I raise it full up I am just barely looking over the top and it's just REAL quiet--can hear the engine sounds etc. If you're looking well over the OEM screen now, getting it up to your sight-line or slightly above will quieten things quite a bit. I usually run it an inch or so below full-up. Quality: C-B's are thick--very nice workmanship. Looks: the extra width looks fine and the height--well its adjustable, right? I had concerns about looks when I ordered it but once I saw it and rode it I knew that was the right choice.

Thanks for your feedback on the wind noise with my 06' fjr. When I lean down just a couple of inches it becomes very nice and fairly quiet (can hear my xm radio!) Said I'm from northern Illinois (65 today) , small town named Winnebago.
Welcome eapple from wheaton...

TriggerT is not too far from you in Rockford, IL.

If you fill in your town and state in your profile as well as your bike model and year, it will help others on the forum when responding to your posts.