Need a lawyer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
Are all lawyers soulless pieces of excrement who will do anything for a buck??? Arthur List appears to be doing all he can to keep the image of lawyers from ever exceeding used car salesmen. Arthur List, you are a douche bag!

Dwayne Woodbury decided to take his son's Harley-Davidson™ out for a ride on a pleasant evening on July 30, 2004. On that same night, Carol Coleman and her boyfriend went out for an Italian dinner at the Springfield Mall. She remembers having calamari and two large martinis before driving home.

At State and West Springfield Roads in Delaware County, Coleman made a left turn and collided with the motorcycle driven by Woodbury. The 44-year-old cyclist was killed. His injuries were so severe, his wife was able to identify the body only by his long, brown hair.

Yesterday, a Delaware County jury found Coleman, 53, guilty of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence and related charges, and she faces a minimum of three years in prison.

Defense attorney Arthur List DID NOT contest that Coleman's blood alcohol level was TWICE the legal limit. He argued that the amount of alcohol did not result in the death of Woodbury, and that Coleman was STILL ABLE TO DRIVE SAFELY. :eek:

But Richard Cohn, a forensic toxicologist, testified that the alcohol level in her blood made her "incapable of safely operating a vehicle."

Are all lawyers soulless pieces of excrement who will do anything for a buck??? Arthur List appears to be doing all he can to keep the image of lawyers from ever exceeding used car salesmen. Arthur List, you are a douche bag!
Dwayne Woodbury decided to take his son's Harley-Davidson™ out for a ride on a pleasant evening on July 30, 2004. On that same night, Carol Coleman and her boyfriend went out for an Italian dinner at the Springfield Mall. She remembers having calamari and two large martinis before driving home.

At State and West Springfield Roads in Delaware County, Coleman made a left turn and collided with the motorcycle driven by Woodbury. The 44-year-old cyclist was killed. His injuries were so severe, his wife was able to identify the body only by his long, brown hair.

Yesterday, a Delaware County jury found Coleman, 53, guilty of homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence and related charges, and she faces a minimum of three years in prison.

Defense attorney Arthur List DID NOT contest that Coleman's blood alcohol level was TWICE the legal limit. He argued that the amount of alcohol did not result in the death of Woodbury, and that Coleman was STILL ABLE TO DRIVE SAFELY. :eek:

But Richard Cohn, a forensic toxicologist, testified that the alcohol level in her blood made her "incapable of safely operating a vehicle."
Absolutely, a douche bag. Ought to put him in prison for statements like that.

As a defense attorney, he had an ethical duty, even if his client insists otherwise, to argue that she was guilty on those facts. After all, the prosecution put up at least one witness who said she couldn't safely operate the car with that BA. 'Nuff said. At the sentencing, he also has a duty to poll the opinion of the local citizenry and demand the punishment they believe is just. In this case, maybe the internet motorcycling community also. What should we recommend? Life in prison or the death penalty?

F'ing scumbags. Probably got paid to do that too.

EDIT to note: Looks like the system worked anyway. Thank God it's the jury and not the defense lawyer that sorts through the arguments of both sides (which must be based upon facts put into evidence) to make a decision in what is INTENDED to be an adversarial system.

Last edited by a moderator:
The system doesn't always work but in this case it did. That is how it is designed. The defense is supposed to put up an "argument" as well as the prosecution. It is up to the jury to decide which one makes the most sense. So he put up a ridiculous argument, that's all she had going for her. At least he didn't get her off through some obscure loophole.

I remember when I was new to law enforcement and myself and a defense lawyer (whom I respected and still do........there are a few good ones that haven't sold their souls) enlighten me to his profession.

Simply this.........it is not the defense lawyer to find out what the truth is.........to him / her, the truth is irrelevant, what matters is to get the best possible deal for their client, regardless to their quilt. It is the prosecutors job to find out the truth and act accordingly. Unfortunately most prosecutors are dumb as crap, hence they work for the state.

NC

I remember when I was new to law enforcement and myself and a defense lawyer (whom I respected and still do........there are a few good ones that haven't sold their souls) enlighten me to his profession.
Simply this.........it is not the defense lawyer to find out what the truth is.........to him / her, the truth is irrelevant, what matters is to get the best possible deal for their client, regardless to their quilt. It is the prosecutors job to find out the truth and act accordingly. Unfortunately most prosecutors are dumb as crap, hence they work for the state.

NC
Close, but there are a number of very good prosecutors in most D.A.'s offices and the truth DOES matter -- an attorney cannot suborn perjury or proffer evidence that he knows to be false. (Contrary to legend, you cannot charge more for lying, but you can lose your license to practice law. For a client you hardly know?!?) That is one of the reasons that criminal defense attorneys often do not want to hear the client admit what he or she did. The defense attorney absolutely does not have the ethical room or luxury to deliver a client to jail simply because he thinks or knows that the client is guilty. Anyone who thinks this is easy is just plain ignorant.

Note that our Constitution's Fifth Amendment gives everyone a privilege not to be compelled to testify against oneself, and the burden and standard of proof required of prosecutors in criminal cases is a compromise that accepts the possibility that some guilty people will go free precisely because the founders of this country believed that was preferrable to having more innocent citizens serving time for crimes they did not commit -- the natural result of a lesser standard. Remember, they were reacting to a system without such protections -- a system nnearly none of the readers here have never had to endure.

Our system is an adversary system that assumes that if you have two equal adversaries going at it to the limits of what the rules of ethics allows, then the trier of fact (the jury) will be able to sort between the two, weigh the credibility of the witnesses and the arguments of the lawyers about what the facts mean and reach the truth most of the time. (I can make a good case about how this often does not work and the typical circumstances, but that's a LOT of typing.) A lawyer's job is to do the best he can for a client on the facts that exist. An ex-boss said it best in an ethics seminar I saw him in a year ago: "sometimes you need to remind the client that you're an advocate, not a magician -- you can only argue the facts, not make them." In this case, it sounds like the lawyer didn't have much to work with and made the best argument the facts allowed, but it was the client who made the unfortunate facts that got her convicted. Just like it's supposed to go down.

BTW, if the "douche bag" had just rolled over or did anything like I facetiously suggested above, he'd have cost the state more money on appeal. Our Constitution requires that the defendant be given "effective assistance of counsel". That means something akin to his best efforts with the facts he has to work with. If he doesn't, it's grounds for appeal. I personally don't like most of the clients in criminal cases and am not enough of a "true believer" to want to be put in the position of trying my best for clients I don't believe in, but that makes me respect many of those who do the job even more. I know a number of very good, very ethical criminal defense attorneys. Contrary to BS belief, those I know as friends are all family men and women who abhor crime, hope their best efforts don't get a serial rapist off, are able to place their belief in the Constitutional process above their personal feelings, recognize bullshit from their clients even better than LEOs, and most of all: are true believers in the Constitutionally mandated system of criminal justice. There are scumbags in every profession, aberrations and miscarriages of justice, but if they do their job, and if the LEOs, prosecutors, judges and juries do their jobs, then MOST of the time our system works. It IS still the best system in the world -- a world of imperfect humans who are not omniscient.

This thread was directed at the wrong target IMO. It appears that the poster really has a beef with the constitutionally mandated criminal justice process whose origins trace to our founding fathers' choices. (Maybe he just hates America?? :facetious jab: ) It is definitely not perfect, and it obviously offends some people that the defendant had anything exculpatory argued on her behalf, but the fact is that it apparently worked in this case.

Hey Exskibum,

I think we said the same thing......I just used less words.........I therefore perceive you must be a lawyer or a law student. :p

Obviously a defense attorney can not (well their not suppose to) lie or help their clients lie....however you and I know this is not always the case. During my time in law enforcment I had the displeasure of having a defense attorney ask me about his clients case / actions to which I answered his question behind closed doors. It is very common for an attorney to try to work out a deal that is acceptable to the officer (if he is brining the charges) behind closed doors with the approval of the prosecutor. When I would not work with him or his client then the lawyer got me on the stand and accused me of making statements that I did not make which would have beneficial to his client. Fortunately, unbeknownst to this attorney, I recorded our conversation behind those closed doors. After constant badgering about our conversation I produced my mini-cassette tape and offered it to the judge. As you can imagine the dirtbag lawyer turned red faced and headed back to his seat with no further questions. This same attorney would later be investigated for trading sex for his services...........what's even more sad is that he is still practicing. :glare:

What defense attorneys do more often then not is make baseless assertions in order to confuse the jury.....or they will play, Im the victim card and as we all know the race card...........basically any card that distracts the jury at looking at relevant facts.

Our system is what it is............the problem is that, and I believe this with all my heart, that the overwhelming majority of people are basically stupid. Yep, its a sad fact.......most people you come across are lucky to walk and talk at the same time. It is a wonder that they have lived as long as they have.

Cases are not won by evidence as much as it is as getting the right jurors or enough jurors (usually just 1) that is stupid enough to believe the crap that is thrown at him or her.

If you have enough money and or political power then you can get out of any crime.......from rape to murder. (President Clinton)

My consolation is that there is a higher power in which we will all stand............and His judgment is righteous.

NC_Yank

Yep, Amen and thank God to that, Rad.

I think we said the same thing......I just used less words.........I therefore perceive you must be a lawyer or a law student. :p
I'm a painter and drywall taper and am happy to discuss all there is to know about those two trades, when, on the golf course, e.g., someone wants to know what I can do so he can rant about what "douche bags" lawyers are and bitch about how his divorce lawyer (and his ex's "douche bag") cost him -- without ever considering that he and she might have been the source of the high cost of the exercise. I don't think we said the same thing, though I didn't detect that we were far apart.

Obviously a defense attorney can not (well their not suppose to) lie or help their clients lie....however you and I know this is not always the case.
Agreed, though the same applies to law enforcement officers, accountants, CEOs and other professions staffed with humans.

During my time in law enforcment I had the displeasure of having a defense attorney ask me about his clients case / actions to which I answered his question behind closed doors. It is very common for an attorney to try to work out a deal that is acceptable to the officer (if he is brining the charges) behind closed doors with the approval of the prosecutor. When I would not work with him or his client then the lawyer got me on the stand and accused me of making statements that I did not make which would have beneficial to his client. Fortunately, unbeknownst to this attorney, I recorded our conversation behind those closed doors. After constant badgering about our conversation I produced my mini-cassette tape and offered it to the judge. As you can imagine the dirtbag lawyer turned red faced and headed back to his seat with no further questions. This same attorney would later be investigated for trading sex for his services...........what's even more sad is that he is still practicing. :glare:
It is not common out here for an attorney to work out a deal with an officer -- far from it, so I can't comment on the dynamics of the situation you describe, but nothing about lying or betrayal of trust is admirable. It is common to make plea deals with the prosecutor out here, and the LEO is not a part of that -- probably to avoid the kinds of conflicts that one would expect to arise when the one making the deal is also a primary witness with an honest belief in the righteousness of his bust. You said YOU wouldn't work with him, so it sounds like he had little choice but to go to trial, and if the facts you testified to were not favorable to his client, one of his few options may have been to challenge the recollection, bias or honesty of the witness testifying to them. (I wasn't there and don't know the case or what happened.)

IF the douche bag actually made declaratory statements to the effect that you suggest, then they should have drawn objections by the prosecutor that were sustained by the judge with an admonition from the judge to the jury that they should be disregarded, and if those statements were proven false (as you say they were), most judges out here would have reported him to the State Bar: it's a serious breach of the Rules of Professional Conduct to knowingly mislead the court. It sounds more likely that you are telling the story from the naturally indignant perspective of a witness who felt that he was having his integrity challenged by QUESTIONS asked of him. There are always two sides to every story, and emotionally charged participants more often than not give a colored (not dishonest) account. I don't disbelieve your account; just questioning the "accused me" perspective on what were probably questions posed to you in a hostile manner to allow you to look like you were not telling the truth -- depending on your reaction and answers. Good chance that his client told him your account wasn't true. Without a working crystal ball, it's often damn hard to sort between two contrary accounts to decide which is true, or which parts of each are true and not colored by the witness's bias or perspective. Not making excuses for the guy, but I don't buy much at face value any more -- I've seen too much inaccuracy and lying from every quarter.

What defense attorneys do more often then not is make baseless assertions in order to confuse the jury.....or they will play, Im the victim card and as we all know the race card...........basically any card that distracts the jury at looking at relevant facts.
More often than not? OK, your perspective. One of the challenges of most criminal trials, as opposed to civil trials, is that nine out of ten times, the defendant client is guilty. Still, you are supposed to offer him a defense. Often, there isn't much you can do but force the prosecutor to bear the burden of proving every element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. And often, that may be nothing more than tough questioning of the witnesses to examine possible bases for misrecollection, motive to lie, etc. The lawyer has an ethical responsibility to the client, not to the police officer who made the arrest and not to the victims. So, the crux of the issue is this: what exactly would you have the lawyer do? Assume the role of the jury and accept your version of the facts in deciding not to challenge you in his cross examination?

Our system is what it is............the problem is that, and I believe this with all my heart, that the overwhelming majority of people are basically stupid. Yep, its a sad fact.......most people you come across are lucky to walk and talk at the same time. It is a wonder that they have lived as long as they have.
No argument from me there. Blind spots as big as football fields, too -- from lack of awareness around their person to lack of awareness on the road to lack of a critical understanding of their own limitations and biases affecting their decision making and perspectives. I'm a LOT better lawyer for others than I am for myself for the last reason.

Cases are not won by evidence as much as it is as getting the right jurors or enough jurors (usually just 1) that is stupid enough to believe the crap that is thrown at him or her.
If you have enough money and or political power then you can get out of any crime.......from rape to murder. (President Clinton)
In referring to one juror, you're obviously talking about criminal, and not civil cases. Certainly, in civil cases, at least, jurors can be critical, but I would never subscribe to your theory about the irrelevance of evidence. E.g., most civil cases get settled long before a jury is ever picked (for that matter, so do most criminal cases via plea bargain). Guess what the lawyers are arguing during that process, whether it's informally between themselves, or in a mediation or arbitration? Yep: the evidence.

Human nature is what it is. Our legal system is what it is. People have roles to play in that system, and unless you've been there, you probably don't have a good idea of what that takes. You couldn't get me to do a cop's job for any amount of money; I think it's one of the most underpaid, thankless, essential and difficult jobs there is. That doesn't mean that all cops are saints or admirable. Same goes for "douche bags". Some of the very most despicable people I have ever met are lawyers, err -- douche bags, but some of the very best people I have met are too. I've had a lot of difficult, dirty and dangerous jobs (factory worker, greenskeeper, laborer, drywall finisher, painter (including high industrial spray work and crew foreman)), but none has been as difficult, stressful or demanding as lawyering. (Nor have any posed the same threat of getting sued (kinda as the insurer of last resort) if I make ANY mistake or if the client thinks there's any basis to line his own pockets or have me defray the cost of his errors by doing so.)

BTW, I believe the system is broken, that he with the most money usually wins (most often by turning it into a war of attrition), that attorneys fees and costs can become the biggest part of a dispute, and that it is often the hard working middle class that the system serves worst, but we haven't scratched the surface of that in this thread. It gets pretty tiring to evaluate a case and have to tell the client: "your options ar A, B, C and D, but it looks like you probably can't afford A, B or C."

Hope you have a good day, NC -- I need to stop procrastinating now.

My consolation is that there is a higher power in which we will all stand............and His judgment is righteous.

NC_Yank
i'm only going to respond ONE time to this little bit, because i have seen what happens when people who have a common interest (motorcycles) start focusing on their differences. but to take a jab at clinton, who did not rape anyone (including hillary) and suggest that he is a murderer, and then to overlook the obvious and provable crimes of the current administration suggests a bias that is so slanted as to make everything else you might say demonstrably ignorable. that may not be fair, but that is what happens.

in the end you indicate that you answer to a Higher power. i don't see that power as an outward, but an inward Being, but i'll tell you this: if there is a judgement day, i would much rather stand in mr. clinton's shoes than mr. bush's. frankly i don't think anyone takes that job without a serious mental instability and an ego the size of arkansas (or is that texas?), and that kind of power obviously further corrupts most anyone who is already unstable enough to want it. but in the hands of one with limited intellect and an inability to understand the manipulations they are being led to enact, it is, and has been, devastating.

the biggest difference between me and mr. bush is that i am smart enough to know i'm not smart enough to be president.

done. one time, like i said.

shu

oh, and by the way, if i need a defense attorney, i want one who will use the very BEST opportunity i have left to him or her, and if all that's left is crap, then i want them to be the best crap-slinger on the planet. my sympathies are often with the police, after 21 years on the street as a city firefighter. but the system works better than any other on the planet, and there are fewer and fewer places where america can make that statement as time goes along...

Geez, here we go.
lockdowncover.jpg

Can you say.......lets launch missles at a pill factory.

Let's have an intern give a blowjob in the oval office and leave a stain to prove it....

although he did not have sexual relations with that woman..........depending on what

the definition of is.......is.

I can go on but then again, talking to a liberal weenie is useless.

Besides.....he is a lawyer.......and they are fair game.

Get over it. <_<

NC

Hey Exskibum,

I try not to get tangled up in civil matters although I have been to civil court twice in the lat 9 months.......won both times........if its possible........however I am more concerned about the criminal side of it. Anyone with a good head for business will make, lose and make money over again........its not that difficult, however dealing with a parasite that has nothing better to do then to suck the life out of someone......well I have no sympathy for them or a system in which allows them to continue down that road.

Yes their are bad apples in all professions however I expect certain professions to be held to a higher standard.

After coming out of the military and into law enforcement, I was very displeased with the back stabbing and just pure stupidity and cowardice that existed and numerous departments that I worked with.

Enough said.......its a beautiful day and the road is calling.....cya.

NC.

PS. Im not sure which thinned skinned person I offended in regards to my Clinton comment.....but at anyrate, Bush is no better........in fact I am more dissapointed with him then Clinton.

Fortunately for the rest of the world they were or are in charge............God have mercy on the world if I were in charge................I would have nuked at least 10 - 20 million people, death row and lifer's would be down to zero, we would have public hangings, thieves would be beat the first time, amputation the second and terminated the third......let's see....what could I do about insurance companies......suggestion are welcomed.................if you can handle that then feel free to put NC_Yank as a write in.

PSS. Celebrities and politicians that get involved in accidents where upon they do not have a motorcycle license........well, I think a public paddling will do.....

:D

Latest posts