Need a Mount for my HTC Thunderbolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality mount that will hold my phone to be used as GPS navigation.

The Phone will be in a rubberized hard case designed for the phone, just need some good suggestions for mounting, I'll remove it if it starts getting wet out.

Cool.....

How did you guys mount it.... RAM parts...

I was looking at this stuff to mount one of the bar riser allens...

RAMparts.jpg

Other Ideas suggestions...?

I just received this mount in the mail yesterday for my HTC EVO 3D in a Otter Box Commuter case. Another large HTC phone...

It will work, but the mounting points are kind of a PITA with the recharge port being on one side under a finger and the volume control being opposite. There is enough adjustment options to get to the battery port, but no way around the upper right volume controls being covered on my phone.

I don't think I will be using it too much.

Edit: I used the diamond plate ball mount from my previous IPhone case.

You will want the Ram Mount ARM assuming you have ball mount on the bike and Ball monut on the phone. There are multiple length arms for adjustability. For example I have a short arm for my device to peek over my commuter tank bag, and a long arm to peek over my larger tank bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received this mount in the mail yesterday for my HTC EVO 3D in a Otter Box Commuter case. Another large HTC phone...

It will work, but the mounting points are kind of a PITA with the recharge port being on one side under a finger and the volume control being opposite. There is enough adjustment options to get to the battery port, but no way around the upper right volume controls being covered on my phone.

I don't think I will be using it too much.

Edit: I used the diamond plate ball mount from my previous IPhone case.

You will want the Ram Mount ARM assuming you have ball mount on the bike and Ball monut on the phone. There are multiple length arms for adjustability. For example I have a short arm for my device to peek over my commuter tank bag, and a long arm to peek over my larger tank bag.
Thanks - that is the info I was looking for, the other mount listed got alot of reviews that stated it wasn't tight enough for the bike....

I was less concerned about volume as I am with power - which is the next thing I need to figure out, just need a simple pull off the battery with inline fuze for the micro usb, haven't been able to find that either... still looking though... found a MINI USB but that is not the right plug...

My choice of bike mount was the Short RamBone
forgot about that RamBone - thanks for posting that... I have seen it - just been so long.

What length RAM Arm you using...?

How do you like the Thunderbolt? I presently have a Blackberry Storm II but making a change next month and have been considering the HTC. :huh:

How do you like the Thunderbolt? I presently have a Blackberry Storm II but making a change next month and have been considering the HTC. :huh:
Phone is freakin awesome.... Ive had 2 Iphones - 3g and 4g and this thing blows them out of the water in terms of flexibility and performance.

Android is hands down better then any IPhone OS IMO.

I hacked mine though, (rooted and cyanogenmod 7 rom / OS) - provides far better battery life and performance tweaking for it....

The screen eats up battery life like crazy though... I keep my screen at 25% and can get pretty much 15 hrs out of it...

I'm rarely away from a power source so its really a non issue and I have an extra battery just in case, never needed it though...

Google GPS Sat Nav is really amazing...

I'd like to figure out a good way to get it on my bike and not have to worry about it...

Perhaps this ARKON UNIT and a RamBone SwingArm unit may be the way to go for me...

I beleive the two arms I have are the 3" and 5.25" Day to Day the Short Ram Bone with medium arm keeps my GPS or phone up high enough to see over my small commuter tank bag. When I use the larger tank bag, the long arm is used.

As for power.. I added an powerlet outlet to the fairing just aft of the battery on the painted panel (I believe you have room on the non painted panel just above the battery on the GEN I).

Then I just run the power to the tank bag. powerlet to standard lighter socket. Great multi-purpose power to and from the battery.

I concur....I have the T-mobile version HTC Sensation and my sister has the Thunderbolt.

Amazing sister phones; that are beast. Google Maps is spot on. One click on the app and

within 10 seconds it has your location and what direction you are going with every business

to the letter. Too many postives to list, but it's by far the greatest Father's Day present to date.

works very well with my Scala Q2 and Zumo 550, all play very good together.

Thanks for the OP, was looking for something to hold my new IPOD Classic and phone, the items

posted before looks to do both.

I was less concerned about volume as I am with power - which is the next thing I need to figure out, just need a simple pull off the battery with inline fuze for the micro usb, haven't been able to find that either...

I hope you aren't thinking you just need a USB connector on a 12V wire . . . . BOOM goes the Thunderbolt!

Best thing in my book would be to get a car charger, 12V in, 5V USB out, and disassemble it if you don't want to use a cig lighter plug. Find where the 12V goes in and make a wire to get that from the battery.

You HAVE to step the 12 down to 5 for the USB connection on the phone.

BTW, + ten million on the awesomeness of this phone!

Haven't rooted mine yet, but probably will. Verizon had the hotspot connection free, but the last software update broke that. That's all I want, the ability to connect my laptop to the Internet in an emergency, like I'm at a customer site whose network is down and I need a driver. It ain't worth 20 bucks a month for the 3 times a year I might have to do that, but then there's no other way to do it when I need to!

I hope you aren't thinking you just need a USB connector on a 12V wire . . . . BOOM goes the Thunderbolt!

Best thing in my book would be to get a car charger, 12V in, 5V USB out, and disassemble it if you don't want to use a cig lighter plug. Find where the 12V goes in and make a wire to get that from the battery.

You HAVE to step the 12 down to 5 for the USB connection on the phone.

BTW, + ten million on the awesomeness of this phone!

Haven't rooted mine yet, but probably will. Verizon had the hotspot connection free, but the last software update broke that. That's all I want, the ability to connect my laptop to the Internet in an emergency, like I'm at a customer site whose network is down and I need a driver. It ain't worth 20 bucks a month for the 3 times a year I might have to do that, but then there's no other way to do it when I need to!

I know bro.... I was looking for something like this https://www.powerlinkproducts.co.uk/usbacharger.html

But I may just mod a car charger to get this... with built in step down and inline fuse....

At any rate - if you Root the TB with Cyanogenmod 7 you can still tether...

Your welcome to Email me for any help to get help and links for rooting your TB and getting the latest custom ROMs

PM me if you need some direction... Trust me - its worth the effort to get rid of the bloat that VW dumps on these phones...

The stock rom is like 400mb's and the CM7 ROM is less then 100mb...

Thrilled with this phone, jumped on it just before VW dumped the unlimited data thing.

Coming off multiple Iphones, I will never go back to those limitations...

I'm using this to power my iPhone:

https://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather-USB-Hardwire-Kit_p_475.html.

I have it fused and then zip-tied to the front of the ignition switch.
DUDE - you rock.... thanks :aikido: :rockwoot:

No fuse necessary...

usb-power-cable.jpg

Input: 12V +/-4

Output Voltage: 5V +/-0.25

Output Current: 1A Max

One Piece, All Weather Cap

Cable Length: 6 feet

Built in automatic resetting fuse

Mounting Bracket Included

USB Type A plug (same as on your computer)