Need a recommendation for paint shop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeSudet

Reaction score
My '13 and I were initiated into the drop club the night I brought it home. Underestimated the momentum it can get on even the slight slope of my driveway as I was backing it into a K turn. Wish I'd known then how easy it was to spin on the center stand on my garage floor... Anyway, ever since, I've been looking for a good deal on paint but haven't found any shops that will give me a reasonable ballpark quote, much less an exact quote to budget on.

Does anyone know of a good, fairly priced shop in Central Arizona? I've put together a few quick prospective schemes, if anyone wants to take a peek.

The first one or two times I dropped my bike, I was stressed out. I found an airbrush guy that did touch ups. He didn't even have the '07 color. He eyeballed it and matched it perfectly. I took it to him twice.

Then, I stopped dropping it, and I kind of just accepted it. I love my bike and I take care of the paint, but I accept the battle scars. Haha...Last year I used PlastiDip on the bottoms of my saddle bags. After a well controlled, loaded tip over at a gas pump I had some small bag scratches. When I got to looking at them, I realized the fronts of the bags had more damage from ridden miles. They get sandblasted along the bottom half.

The PlastiDip was a test, and I have the paint I want to cover the bags with a more permanent solution; however, I still haven't decided if I just want to send them to Garauld. Guess I gotta commit also, which isn't always easy.

In reality, you have a few options.

1: Send your bag off to Garauld. It'll look like new when you get it back.

2: Find an airbrush guy that can match it. Usually car dealers contract with a scratch removal guy that does it, and they'll give you his nimber.

3: Buy the Colorite paint and take that to an airbrush guy. Usually Paintless Dent Removal guys.

4: Accept it and move on.

Good luck!

I want to get the scratches and gouges taken care of in the process, but mostly I'm just tired of the stock color. I can honestly say I've never seen a grey that so rarely looks grey outside of Yamaha's photo shoots.

I just saw those. My favorite color is red. However, with the red shown there, you could do better. Maybe darker with some flake. As-is, I think the yellow and blue are the best.

Yamaha blue would be my choice. Oh and by the way Gerauld is a member on this forum. Not sure if I spelt correctly.

Good luck,

Dave

Those were just quick photoshops using Gimp. The red, blue and yellow are just what the program says are pure. There would obviously be some tweaking for real-world colors. I like the way the yellow pops, but am a big fan of the silver.

@Zilla: "Find a good paint guy"? That's what I'm trying to do!
fool.gif
And if it were only a bag that got dinged in the drop(s, it happened more than once), I'd totally send them out. Unfortunately, one mirror and both sides of the fairing are also showing signs of two years with a gravity-challenged rider. At least the root cause has shown signs of improvement.

Good looking paint combos, but gotta go with the blue or better yet - the OEM Euro silver/blue/black color scheme.

Can't help with paint shops in AZ. If you were closer, SIK Werks in Seattle does killer custom paint work. Maybe a ride'n paint?

--G