Need a tailbag on Gen I with 2 up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
Hello All,

My wife and I are taking a trip up to the Rockies in a few weeks and I need a bit more storage than my standard side-cases offer. :D

We'll be doing mostly 2 day trips from a base in Colorado Springs so I don't need anything crazy sized. I hoped to find a soft sided tailbag that I can semi-easily attach to the tiny rear rack of my '04 FJR. I don't want to change racks or modify the bike and I'm not too interested in putting on a full-blown top case from Yamaha or Givi.

I've done some searching on this forum without the results I was hoping for. Can anyone give me a suggestion, or even better, include pictures?

TIA!

My wife found the Givi V46 with backrest pad so comfortable that she would occasionally doze off back there. Due to the placement, you probably don't need the backrest pad, especially if she has a back pad in her riding jacket. It's also a good place to add another high-up brake light for safety reasons and it pops off for taking inside if wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Toe, the hard case provides a very nice backrest for the wife, is easily removed, and holds lots of stuff. Whatever you choose, have a great time in the springs.

Hard case is gonna be a much more secure attachment, not to mention more security for the contents. Without a "sissy bar" like the crusiers use it's going to be difficult to securely carry a softbag, I think.

A similar option would be one of the many Nelson Rigg bags.
Nelson Rigg CL800 -- a medium size bag with all the included items:

I have the Nelson Rig RTB500 bag myself. Very happy, it looks really similar to the "CL800" mentioned. Don't know the difference. I highly recomend "Rok-Straps" to secure it to the bike. Won't chew up you rack. We know the you can't really keep a thief honest, but you can keep a honest man honest. I found a cable lock with a built in combo that is long enough wrap around several things, like through helmets and tank and tail bags to keep them fairly honest. I use small pad locks to secure zippers together and I run the cable through those points so a quick knife job can be stymied.

I use an RKA Rack Bag.

It will mount to the rear seat or the rack.

I use the 36 liter standard rack bag.

www.rka-luggage.com

I would recommend this product.

Been using this bag for 4 years and has never been an issue.

You will want the rain cover though as the bag itself is not waterproof.

Mark

This small top box made by saddleman is a good deal. ($82 from motorcycle superstore) No modifiying your rack, just bolt a small rack (supplied) on it. Duke likes the cold water I keep in a ice chest in it!

3537565642_097df49bea.jpg

I bought a SHAD SH 50 from adventure moto https://www.adventuremotousa.com/ I paid $279 for the box (includes backrest) and $35 (or so ) for the top master adapter plate. Shipping was free for forum members. The adapter plate is a direct bolt on to stock rack (Gen 1). The box is easily removed too. I have about 500 miles with this setup (200 with a passenger)and have no complaints. If your interested, I can shoot you some pics.

I have Garauld's rack and the large MotoFizz bag, it is in IMHO a very good setup with tons of space.

Both items are very high quality (rack and bag)

Was on a 2700mile trip with this setup and had no trouble at all with it.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Alfred

Be mindful of your speed if you are anywhere in what I call the Colorado LEO quadrant: CO Springs to Fort Collins to Walden to Buena Vista to CO Springs.

Just a follow-up to my original post. I end up stumbling across the Fieldsheer tailbag at a local discount bike accessory store. It seems to be be perfectly sized for what I was trying to accomplish which was to utilize the existing rack of my Gen I bike, provide some additional storage, be easy to install and remove, and finally, not to interfere with my wife's riding position. I believe this bag has met all of of those requirements.

I paid $89.00 less 10% for it and feel like I got a bargain. It's very stable across the back and has expandable side pouches that are outboard of the tie-down straps. This allows the bag to expand but not 'wrap' around the standard narrow rack. I've managed to get all our wet weather gear, glove and jacket liners, and other miscellaneous items in it with no issues.

Tailbag-comp-1.jpg

Tailbag-comp-2.jpg

Tailbag-comp-3.jpg

Tailbag-comp-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I have used a soft tailbag for touring for years. They work fine. In really wet weather, though, the bottoms will get wet. This is why the first item in is the rubber-soled tennis shoes, soles down. The rest of the stuff stowed above will be fine and dry.

Enjoy the mountains and be safe!