Need advice on risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I've been reading all the helpful info here on the forum, but am still a little unsure and would like to get some current advice on what to do to about risers. My goal like lots of you is to extend my ride comfort on longer rides. I ride often with the wife so pillion comfort is a big plus for my comfort! The FJR is smoother on the back to her than my VTX1300, so she's pretty happy. But so far the FJR is a lot less comfortable to me. My right hand goes numb pretty quick and I get some ankle pain.

I've been about 1300 miles the first few weeks on it and I think I am adjusting to the ankle pain by just hanging my feet once in a while and I think some of it is just getting used to the difference. But the hand is getting worse. My sport bike friend said the thing he noticed the most was the light handlebar ends, so I ordered the Vibranators and am impatiently waiting for them.

I didn't think I wanted to raise the bars at first. I am 5'10, and am comfortable crowding the tank so I thought I was getting used to the FJR riding position. It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. So do you think raising the bars will help the numbness in the right hand?

And if I do raise them, do you think I should get the GenMar risers, or one of the full plate options like the helibars or other options? What are the real advantages of these? It seems like a lot of people upgrade after using the GenMars first. Ease of installation is important for me too, as I'm not up for a big project.

I have been showing my wife the Russell seats and she says that is a farkle for her (I can't beat that!), so we'll be doing that maybe next month.

Get the Russell, it will make your ass so happy your hand will feel the good vibes. Try a CHEAP throttle lock, Vista Cruise or other as seen on

this forum. Just a minute or so to relax & exercise your throttle hand makes all of the difference in the world.

Get the Russell, it will make your ass so happy your hand will feel the good vibes. Try a CHEAP throttle lock, Vista Cruise or other as seen on

this forum. Just a minute or so to relax & exercise your throttle hand makes all of the difference in the world.
+1 for sure.

Everyone's R hand is going to hurt after awhile, it's inevitable. But a Vista Cruise is a huge huge help with that. Also check your riding position, if you are leaned forward and your arms are straight, you're causing your wrist to go numb much sooner than needed. Do a search on 'riding position', balls of your feet on the pegs etc etc. It's a huge help.

Good luck.

Okay, I'm 5'9" and have found the bike to be pretty comfortable. However, I too found my right hand going to sleep periodically not just on the FJR but also other bikes. First, relax your grip. Second, you need a little more padding and a larger grip. I added Grip Puppies to the FJR and problem solved on both counts. Regarding the bars, I found the stock position to be okay. But if you watch the classified ads, you may find some Gen Mar risers fairly inexpensive and try those. I just added a set and like the difference. For me, I find myself riding forward and try to keep my butt kicked out toward the rear so my back is straight (the bend is in my lower back area if this makes any sense). The other thing that helped with this riding position was adding a National Cycle windshield which I tried because my wife commented about a lot of side buffetting with the stock shield; this shield solved the buffetting issue and I found that I can actually ride with my helmet shield opend without having the shield all the way up. Your results my differ but hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have grip puppies and a cramp buster already. The grips are still much smaller than my other bike, but I do like the feel. I love the crampbuster on my cruiser cause it lets me balance the speed really well with just the base of my hand. The FJR has so much change in power that it only helps a little. Per the advice recieved, I placed an order for the vista-curise today. Thanks, and we'll see how it goes. I might try the GenMar at some point, but will focus on the seat next as advised.

Had a 400 mile overnight trip planned for Sunday night and Monday but it looks like a lot of heavy rain, so looks like I'm just wishing my hand was going to be hurting. I've got to get on some real roads cause I feel like I've bought a speedboat that I've only been able to use on a pond.

My understanding is that the risers bring the bars up while the plate brings the bars up and back. So far I'm able to stretch my back enough while riding that I don't have pain. I'm 5'6" and I do have to reach a bit - good thing I don't mind crowding the tank myself :p

I do, however, get knee pain toward the end of a 400-500 mile day. I added highway pegs so I have a different place to put my feet now and then. They help quite a bit, as does moving my feet on the other pegs. Moving my knees to different angles works wonders. And, much to my surprise, putting the balls of my feet (almost the toes) on stock pegs with my heels on top of the folded pillion pegs is really comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had most of the same problems as you.

I tried the heli triple tree and risers, then grip puppies, then a throttle rocker,

then the Audiovox Cruise control, then the Russell Day Long saddle.

• The throttle rocker worked ok but was hit and miss, the cruise control
    cured my wrist pain/numbness.
  • The risers cured my lower back pains.
  • The Russell cured my ass pain.

So if you include my Rifle windscreen I've dropped about a grand into comfort items.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

much to my surprise, putting the balls of my feet (almost the toes) on stock pegs with my heels on top of the folded pillion pegs is really comfortable.
Never thought of this. I tried it today and I totally agree. It's a great second position. Thanks!
I read somewhere about putting the heels on the pillion pegs and could not imagine such a thing, lol. It sounded like it would kill my knees or make something, somewhere cramp. Imagine my surprise. I do it riding on the slab as a change of pace but I really like that position in the twisties, too.

I would start with the seat, it will/can change your riding position and at this point you "could" measure for an after market wind shield.

Then you could decide if you need bar risers.

At that point think about the Wild Bills or MCL extended pegs for slab riding.

I like doing one change at a time and ride for a while before going on to the next.

I hope this helps.