Need Half an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofreeride

Reaction score
Sport Touring motorcycles for women?

Requirements:

500-750cc

Seat height around 30" or less

Substantially upright riding position

Full fairing

Windshield that can direct air over the helmet

Confidence-inspiring weight and handling

Hard luggage or ability to add same

She will be commuting, running errands, day rides, and occasional overnight and/or longer rides. I would be accompanying her most trips on the FJR.

What is out:

FJR: Too tall, too powerful, too heavy.

All Cruiser style bikes: She has seen them and sat on them and does not like them.

Buell Blast: Small and wimpy, no wind protection.

Scooters: Not her style

Considering:

Suzuki GS500F: This is the one she liked the best at the Seattle show last weekend. I am concerned about comfort on longer trips due to the small engine and higher revs. Also just has a short windshield.

Honda PC800: Ugly but may fit the bill

Honda SilverWing (classic, not the scooter).

Yamaha or Kawasaki 600's ???

Other suggestions? Would prefer something that could be found used for a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Suzuki GS500F: This is the one she liked the best at the Seattle show last weekend. I am concerned about comfort on longer trips due to the small engine and higher revs. Also just has a short windshield.
My 5'1" wife learned to ride on that bike. She loved it and still has it. We had it lowered for her almost 2". We took several long (500+ miles) trips on it and she even rode the Dragon several times on it. The short windshield was definitely a (minor) negative for my wife.

She now has a BMW F800ST. Another great bike but undoubtedly out of your price range. If your wife would like to talk to mine about the Suzuki, let me know. I know she'd be happy to chat.

Honda's VFR is a bike you might want to look at. I'm sure many on this forum have owned them and can give you more information. I do know a used one can be had for a very reasonable price.

(And they even look a bit like an FJR - which is good.)

hockeygeezers-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest looking at the Kawasaki EX500 Ninja. My wife didn't feel comfortable on my VFR as it was too heavy and tall for her. Not quite as beefy as my FJR but still too much for her. She went with the smaller Ninja and really liked it. Fit her fine, light weight but still enough power to comfortably keep up with my FJR.

Darcy

Honda's VFR is a bike you might want to look at. I'm sure many on this forum have owned them and can give you more information. I do know a used one can be had for a very reasonable price.(And they even look a bit like an FJR - which is good.)

I came across a used (750 miles) 2008 Kawasaki Versys - Cycle mag's 2008 Motorcycle Of The Year - at the Honda/Kaw dealer in Great Falls, MT last week. It had integrated Kawi hard bags, a taller windscreen and a few other goodies ($1,500 worth). This is a 650 vertical twin and sort of leans toward the side of adventurer touring. Supposed to be a supremely versatile and fun ride. Might be worth a look. I think they wanted just $6,500 and it is pristine. And they might be in a mood to deal since nothing else is moving right now.

I came across a used (750 miles) 2008 Kawasaki Versys - Cycle mag's 2008 Motorcycle Of The Year - at the Honda/Kaw dealer in Great Falls, MT last week. It had integrated Kawi hard bags, a taller windscreen and a few other goodies ($1,500 worth). This is a 650 vertical twin and sort of leans toward the side of adventurer touring. Supposed to be a supremely versatile and fun ride. Might be worth a look. I think they wanted just $6,500 and it is pristine. And they might be in a mood to deal since nothing else is moving right now.
There are a lot of lady riders who are happy with the Suzuki SV650 and there is a strong aftermarket (including lowering kits).

I would suggest checking out a Burgman 650. Fully faired and can ride with you all day long. My wife loves hers. We call it the half-a-busa. Just say'n.

There are some leftover 07 BMW F650 XCountry's out there, and I think they can be had for modest bucks. Certainly less than $7K at the right dealer. And there are some used ones at this point too.

Of the 3 little F650X bikes Aprillia made to BMW specs for BMW to badge and sell in 07, the Xcountry is the one that is generally acceptably fit to a shorter inseam. These bikes weigh about 350 pounds gassed up and ready to ride. They have about 44 ft-lbs of torque and 53 hp. They're very agile. The final drive is by chain and sprocket, so no latent whiney anti-BMW issues to deal with there.

Don't overlook the Yamaha FZ6. I've never had the chance to ride one, but it looks like it may fit the bill.

She now has a BMW F800ST. Another great bike but undoubtedly out of your price range.
My wife also has that bike, but with all the QA issues I've read about them, I wouldn't touch anything older than an 08; 09 would be better.

I had an the GS500E which was basically the same as the F but without the fairing. It was a great bike, but not really set up for touring. I'm sure your wife is smaller than me, but it took me some effort to run at highway (or greater) speeds. That being said, it was a very nice "around town" bike. There is a very helpful forum similar to our own that you can find much more information. It's www.gstwin.com.

Overall, the GS500 can be a very reliable bike and is easy to wrench on. 30-40,000 miles are not uncommon if maintained. The 250 and 500 ninjas can't compete on reliability.

I would say good choices so far. Many great options. Personally, I would say: VFR800, SV650, FZ6, Ninja 650R, Versys, GS500

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. A few models you've mentioned warrant further investigation. Here are my initial thoughts.

BMW F800ST - Heavy, tall, expensive.

Honda VFR - Kinda tall, a little hunched over maybe. Definitely affordable.

Kawasaki Versys - the right ergonomics, but very tall. No cheap used ones out there yet.

Suzuki SV650 - Looks like only the S has a fairing, but is pretty hunched over.

Burgman 650 - I think that's a scooter. Wife does not want a scooter.

BMW F650 (S, CS, XCountry) - need to do more research.

Yamaha FZ6 - promising

Ninja 650R - promising

I really like these last two, especially the FZ6, keeping it in the family, you know. It may need to be lowered a bit, the suspension and/or seat. The windshield and ergonomics look good, only a half fairing?

Will do some more research. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Have you looked at the Suzuki GSX 650F? I saw a review of one a while back and it really was interesting. Sits up a little straighter than a true Gixxer and bags can be had for it. The reviewer loved it and I think it was a woman. The other two bikes I was gonna recommend were the BMW F800ST and the VFR...

Don't knock some out too far just because they have a more "racier" seating position. Companies like Helibar, Convertibars, and LSL make risers that aren't very expensive and can totally change the riding position. I had Heli's on my SV1000S and they made a big difference. But being the large fellow I am, I still had to have a bigger bike.

Ninja 650R.

Have her sit on both the Kawi and the FZ-6. As much as I think the FZ-6 is a great bike, it is definitely more aggressive. If she's like my g/f, the FZ-6 was still too much 'lean forward' (as was the F800ST), while the 650R is pretty upright.

Look more at the older BMW F650GS also.

Did the research last spring.

The rider 5'2" 120 lbs. new to motorcycles.

My short list was a

Suzuki SV 650 standard for more up right seating and fuel injection

Ninja 650 for the fuel injection.

Her final choice was the Ninja 500, felt good, less $$$$$.

IMG_0710.jpg

Mods lowered 1", she can flat foot it now, givi tour windshield on order. We've done a couple of road trips together and it does keep up as long as I don't get too ambitious, cruises nicely in the 65 to 70 mph range and returns over 60 mpg. The couple of test rides I've done on it, I can say it's a hoot to throw down a twisty road.

Might want to check out an older F650ST BMW.

They are light, durable, low seat, easy to handle, can be equipped for touring, and confidence inspiring.

You can pick one up for $3-5K in good shape.

A nice and well maintained BMW K75 would be purrfect, easy handling, indestructible motor, no FD problems and all the touring amenities she'll need.

Alfred

First, to all of you with significant others who like to ride, my hat is off to you for getting to share the activity. My wife will ride on the back for half-hour trips, but has a hip problem. Enjoy your fortune in this.

If'n I wuz in your shoes, this would be an excuse to get out together to hit the motorcycle shows this winter or for some togetherness time at various dealers, letting her make up her own mind.

Random thoughts:

Honda VFR - With bar spacers and one of the tall aftermarket windshields it can be a "sit-up" bike. Great choice!

Suzuki SV650 - Cheaper and easier to find the unfaired bikes and put on an aftermarket windshield. I know a couple of girls who absolutely love theirs and think Suzi made the line just for wimins.

Don't forget the WeeStrom. Plenty of used ones and owners love them but can be a bit tall for shorter riders.

BMer 650 - Darned things have a near cult following and loads of options for raising, lowering, windshields, etc. Not much more money than their competition and you'll get it back when you sell. She gets the BMW cache' and they are super on gas consumption.

Honda 750 Nighthawk with an aftermarket windshield. Again, a classic with tons of accessories available.

Triumph 800 Bonne/Scrambler/etc. These are fantastic and nearly bullet-proof bikes for shorter riders and those with back problems. Been around long enough that there are a number of low-mileage used ones at surprisingly good prices. Lots of aftermarket bags and windshields available. Has the name thing going for it, like the Beemer. I know a shorter owner with back problems who did a saddle sore on his and said he is thinking about doing another.

As for the PC800 and Silverwing, they were fine in their day, but unrusted parts are getting hard to find, other than what comes up on EBay.

Enjoy the hunt!

Bob