Need Half an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the WeeStrom. Plenty of used ones and owners love them but can be a bit tall for shorter riders.
The WeeStrom DL650 can be lowered with dogbone links (and an adjustment to the triple clamp). I know inseam challenged riders who have really enjoyed this modification. I guess most bikes can be lowered if necessary. The reason not to do it is if you want the clearance. A WeeStrom heading out for cruising wouldn't miss the clearance.

OK, I'm tossing out the older Honda Silverwing and PC800.

Still leaning hard toward the Suzukis and Kawasakis 500-650cc. Will look more at the VFR and BMW 650. How's that for a short list?

My wife is 5' 5", 130. Her first bike was a Yamaha XJ600S (Seca II). She was pretty happy with it. So, something similar, a little newer, taller windshield and bars would be great.

I won't be buying 'til spring. We are saving to get rid of a car payment by January, and then will save to pay cash for a used bike.

Thanks.

Her final choice was the Ninja 500, felt good, less $$$$$.
IMG_0710.jpg
I started riding on one of these. I didn't know much about "accessorizing" a bike back then & sure wish that I did.

The seat was a torture device for any distance over 50 miles.

Also, the brakes weren't shit. I had a '94. I expect that the newer ones have much better brakes & probably better seating.

Otherwise, this was a great lil bike. Had plenty of pickmeupgo. I used to ride 2up on it all of the time & it didn't have a problem toting my large behind + some. I'd expect that it wouldn't have much trouble keeping up with an FJR unless the FJR was trying to lose baby Ninja.

Not sure where the "maintenance" comment came from. This bike was virtually bulletproof

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'm tossing out the older Honda Silverwing and PC800.
Good move.

Still leaning hard toward the Suzukis and Kawasakis 500-650cc. Will look more at the VFR and BMW 650. How's that for a short list?
Sounds like a good list.

My wife is 5' 5", 130. Her first bike was a Yamaha XJ600S (Seca II). She was pretty happy with it. So, something similar, a little newer, taller windshield and bars would be great.
I had a 92 XJ600S and it was a nice little bike. Of the ones you're thinking about, I think that there may be more accessorizing options for the Suzuki DL650, but you will definitely want to look into dropping it two inches. That and a customized seat, and she should have an FJR worthy companion bike with no other issues.

Another vote for the Suzuki GSX 650F

Suzuki GSX 650F, baby Bandit, pretty bulletproof, not hard to oil the chain... fairing, bags, etc available, It's not that heavy, but heavy enough not to get blown around as much as a lightweight bike. Easy to add lowering links, shorter front forks and shave the seat. Oh, and risers.

Also.... Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint ST, both need lowered, but can get hard bags, fairing and tocases. They can also go very fast! Might be a bit much.

BMW F650 ST, can get a lowered frame and lower seat, very good for very inseamed challenged. My biggest objection was maintainance (24000 and replace the belt, but then, no chain to oil)

Other option would be the BMW F650GS... that's the same engine as the F650ST (800cc engine) You can also get a low suspension and low seat.

For me the WeeStrom is still too high. Maybe I should do some research on how to lower it....about 2 1/2 inches.....cheaply!

mary

My wife ride a ZR7S Kawasaki. Has good power and reasonable wind protection. With a Russell seat and Givi luggage it makes a great midsize s/t bike.

Hi There

My wife started on the EX500 and now has an EX650R ( Ninja 650R)

She loves the 650 says it is more comfortable, better handling at low speed and high, better wind protection, better looking and way better head lamp for at night

She sat on a bunch of other bikes - none were as comfortable of a riding position as the Kawi and the ones she test drove did not handle as well

We installed Givi bags and changed the rear shock to lower the bike a bit, The bags hold more than the FJR bags

She is now taking the daughter with her on day trips -

My wife is a tiny lady ( tough as nails ) and loves her ride

Hope this helps

Later

F 650 GS BMW. She can go anywhere do anything on this bike. The GF has an 06 and absolutely loves this thing whether we are in the canyons, on the straights or in the dirt. You can put bags on it, knobbies, whatever your heart desires. Easy to work on too.

No POUTING while the wifey is on an off-road excursion and leaves you and the pavement princess FJR behind. :ph34r:

Have a look at the V-Strom 650. Should be easy to find at a reasonable price. Lots of accessory options.

I wouldn't give it high marks for style but it's a very practical all-rounder.

The Yamaha FZ6R warrants consideration. It has a slightly lower seat than the FZ6 and a full fairing, making it a direct competitor to the Ninja 650R. The main difference of course is it's a 600cc inline-4 vs a 650cc parallel twin.

Bags can be added to both bikes, people have done it (at least with the 650R; the FZ6R's too new).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. A few models you've mentioned warrant further investigation. Here are my initial thoughts.
BMW F800ST - Heavy, tall, expensive.

Honda VFR - Kinda tall, a little hunched over maybe. Definitely affordable.

Kawasaki Versys - the right ergonomics, but very tall. No cheap used ones out there yet.

Suzuki SV650 - Looks like only the S has a fairing, but is pretty hunched over.

Burgman 650 - I think that's a scooter. Wife does not want a scooter.

BMW F650 (S, CS, XCountry) - need to do more research.

Yamaha FZ6 - promising

Ninja 650R - promising

I really like these last two, especially the FZ6, keeping it in the family, you know. It may need to be lowered a bit, the suspension and/or seat. The windshield and ergonomics look good, only a half fairing?

Will do some more research. Keep 'em coming. Thanks.
I bet she would like a well preserved BMW K75, it would be perfect for the stated use...

Alfred

Sport Touring motorcycles for women?
What is out:

FJR: Too tall, too powerful, too heavy.

Thanks.
By whose estimation? If she said so, great (and I rescind this post). If not ......

....there's an emoticon for dogs**t on another forum. Where is it for this forum? :huh:

Hey! Too tall, too powerful, too heavy .... you left out "too beautiful" :D

There hasn't much Friday action here lately it seems

Sport Touring motorcycles for women?
What is out:

FJR: Too tall, too powerful, too heavy.

Thanks.
By whose estimation? If she said so, great (and I rescind this post). If not ......

....there's an emoticon for dogs**t on another forum. Where is it for this forum? :huh:

Hey! Too tall, too powerful, too heavy .... you left out "too beautiful" :D

There hasn't much Friday action here lately it seems
I would love to see her on an FJR. She's sat on mine and is very intimidated by it. She can't really reach the ground comfortably, and she wants a bike that she can pick up by herself. I'm sure all of these things could be remedied with experience, confidence, modifications, etc, but I think she would like something that is a better overall fit from the start, instead of trying to make something fit.

We went to the show in Seattle and she sat on lots of bikes. The one she liked the most was by far the Suzuki GS500F, followed by the Ninja 500 and 650. When we start looking seriously, she will sit on and test as many as it takes. We are currently heavily favoring Japanese bikes 650cc and under (half an FJR), but wouldn't rule out a BMW.

Thanks everybody.

I would love to see her on an FJR. She's sat on mine and is very intimidated by it. She can't really reach the ground comfortably, and she wants a bike that she can pick up by herself. I'm sure all of these things could be remedied with experience, confidence, modifications, etc, but I think she would like something that is a better overall fit from the start, instead of trying to make something fit.

OK I take it back :) But the Feej (any bike) CAN be lowered. Good luck to Mrs in finding her bike and safe riding !

As a 5th generation VFR800 owner (1998-2001) I would second the recommendation for taking a close look at one of these. They are very capable bikes, making 110 hp in an incredibly smooth 800cc V4 engine, and can be setup with hardbags and larger shield quite easily. With a set of helibars on them they aren't nearly as laid down as a true sport bike. More like the angle of an FJR before putting any risers on it. The other thing to keep in mind is that shorter riders have less of a reach down to the bars, so there is less of a lean for them.

Here's a picture of mine (a 5th gen) with Givi hardbags, Givi touring windshield, Helibars and Staintune exhaust. The Givi saddlebag rack also allows a rear trunk to be snapped on the rear (not shown). The bag rack can be removed for non-touring riding pretty quickly.

Dry weight is right around 450 lbs. and is carried pretty low, so fairly easy to paddle around. Seat height is 31." but feels lower than that to me. I can ride mine comfortably all day and I'm 6'2".

2229697850098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

I personally prefer the 5th gens as they have the better engine (w/ FI, non-Vtec, with gear driven cams), and I like the smoother more curvey styling over the more modern, angular look of later model. But if you went for a 6th gen (from 2002 on) there are optional color matched factory side bags that can be bought.

I like the VFR, but I'll toss in a vote for the Ninja 650. My wife had it down between a ninja 650 and a FZ6 last summer, and we went and test-rode the 2 back to back. I went into it thinking that the FZ6 was going to be the bike to pick, based on a variety of things I had heard, such as a smoother engine, etc etc.

Well, after riding the Ninja 650, the FZ6 felt...lame. The suspension didn't feel as tight, the torque curve was far too peaky (it really felt like it had nothing on the low-end) and the 650 was just plain comfortable.

Hard bags are definitely an option, although I was very impressed with the performance, in an extreme downpour, of the soft bags we put on her Ninja. But I've seen pics of 650r's with Givi cases on the sides, so I'm sure that's an option.

We thought we were going to be ordering a lowering link for my wife's bike, but after adjusting the rear preload and a couple rides, she was very comfortable with it.

The Yamaha FZ6R warrants consideration. It has a slightly lower seat than the FZ6 and a full fairing, making it a direct competitor to the Ninja 650R. The main difference of course is it's a 600cc inline-4 vs a 650cc parallel twin.
Bags can be added to both bikes, people have done it (at least with the 650R; the FZ6R's too new).
+1 on this, plan one for my wife next year or two. Her starter is one of those Ninja 250 things........ Upgraded seat and some throw over bags and she is set!

...I'll toss in a vote for the Ninja 650.
+1. My wife has been happy with hers. The Ninja turned out to be a great bike for her to gain confidence on and it's a capable little tourer. It easily handles a week's worth of camping gear (see below). Like any bike, it took some work and $ to make it just right, but she has no complaints. After 3 seasons on it and after riding my FJR last fall, she really wants a feejer of her own.

hwy12_1.jpg