need help, FJR won't start, don't hear the fuel pump when putting contact on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bike rides again. problem was a bad ground cable. testing it gave good results, but with the start motor turning, the connection went away. will have the bike back on Saturday ... a month and a half without bike pfffff

Is this the main ground from battery to the frame? Or the connection from the negative cable to the battery?
Or somewhere else?
The description of your problem does not sound like a poor ground, unless it was the return (negative) from the fuel pump.
Let us know if you have specific information.
Nice to have it running again, but six weeks is a long time...

Yes , She's Back! what a feeling !! @RossKean : an electronic expert from Yamaha came to check it out. apparently it was a ground cable in one of the wiring harness that was broken. when testing everything was ok, the current passed, but when they let the start motor turn, the current didn't passed, passed, didn't.... . they didn't changed the bunch oh cables, they put just one new cable beside the wiring harness ( like a shunt?)
and everything was ok
i hope that you understand what i am saying, my technical English isn't that good :) so Monday back to work on the FJR

Yes , She's Back! what a feeling !! @RossKean : an electronic expert from Yamaha came to check it out. apparently it was a ground cable in one of the wiring harness that was broken. when testing everything was ok, the current passed, but when they let the start motor turn, the current didn't passed, passed, didn't.... . they didn't changed the bunch oh cables, they put just one new cable beside the wiring harness ( like a shunt?)
Sounds like the GenII wiring harness recall symptoms ?? I'd would have hoped Yammy would have improved harness a bit to avoid a repeat. then again... sometimes things just happen... and it is a 10yr old bike
the clean, much more expensive route, would be to replace the associated wiring harness... but other than negligible extra weight of the new/extra single grounding wire, seems like a cost-effective approach.. the only concern I'd have is if that new wire properly labelled/secured (that is, a few years from now, another mechanic works on bike and you are there to pass on this story, will it be obvious what that extra cable is there for, and why?)

Also, Just something to keep in the 'back of your mind' - after local dealer replaced my GenII wiring harness due to recall, less than a year later the bike wouldn't start (no starter motor, fuel pump, etc)... required a tow. Turns out the replacement wiring harness had not been fully/properly plugged in below the seat, and that connection/plug worked itself out over time (presumably not properly latched).

I work with a colleague from Belgium. She impresses me because she’s fluent in 6 languages. I barely speak English. :)
As for Belgium and languages, yea my cousins (southern central area of Belgium), all speak 5+ languages.
The old joke of speaking three languages = tri-lingual, 2=bi-lingual, etc, 1= American
Counter-point, per Europeans, is they speak that many languages because they have to, not that they want/like to.
And I laughed at the number of times with a large European group, where the common language was English, that I had to repeat everyone's comments so everyone else could understand (they all understood SoCal/Hollywood English just fine, each other's accents and other american accents, not so much, especially if folks from eastern europe involved)

you mean Hoosier twang ? i found this https://www.dialectsarchive.com/indiana-2 . still pretty understandable. we had an exchange student from Kentucky together with another one from Australia. the proper English we learned a school didn't help a bit :)
The English I had the most trouble with was rural Scotland. I recall 4 of us standing around listening to a docent, and looking at each other and shrugging. Every 3rd or 4th word we recognized as english but we had absolutely no idea what the guy was saying. And we really tried... he repeated himself... He understood us, but in the end, we admitted defeat and gave up in trying to understand him. never was sure if he was playing with us, or not.
I'll soon be back in Scotland (35 years later)... we'll see if that situations plays out again... especially as we will be much much further away from major towns this trip. Truly grateful for smartphones in such a circumstance (getting directions, local site info, etc)

@Lawrence i completely understand you, the famous Scottish Sean Connery dialect , lol. in our rugby team we have somebody who claims to speak English, but he is from Wales, not bad either , but the real Irish beats everything