Need Help with GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I am looking for a GPS for my son for Christmas. He has a NINJA 250. So I want something for bike and car. The onl;y thing I see on Garmin site is Zumo 550 or zumo 660. Are these the only real options right now.

I am looking for a GPS for my son for Christmas. He has a NINJA 250. So I want something for bike and car. The only thing I see on Garmin site is Zumo 550 or zumo 660. Are these the only real options right now.
That maybe right if you are looking for buying new that are motorcycle specific. You could look for a used Zumo 450, 550, 660...or several people have just used the Nuvi line and put them in a tank bag if it rains...

I also read somewhere that Garmin was close to bringing out a new motorcycle specific model...and if it was on the internet it MUST be true :D

Corey Nuehring

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a GPS for my son for Christmas. He has a NINJA 250. So I want something for bike and car. The onl;y thing I see on Garmin site is Zumo 550 or zumo 660. Are these the only real options right now.
You may wish to check Ebay for a used or rebuilt Garmin 2720. Waterproof and works well.

You have to really look for a Garmin 2720 or 2730. I have a 2720 I bought for $100 and it has worked well. After about 4 years of constant use my Garmin 60CX is still working perfect. I leave it on my DR650 mounted via a Touratech mount. Those little suckers are well under $300 now and I love having it on the Dual Sport so I can take it off and hike with it while in the boonies....

I have a Garmin 550 and I LOVE it. It covers lots of bases and can be upgraded with a XM antenna to get satellite radio. It has built in MP3 player ability to connect to blue tooth enabled phones as well has blue tooth enabled headsets. I just run mine with a set of hardwired headphones.

One problem is the Bluetooth isn't stereo blue tooth so if you use a wireless headset for music you loose a LOT of quality it's one of the reasons I went with a wired setup as the sound is much better CD quality.

The maps are accurate the estimated time of arrival is almost spot on every time unless you take a lot of rest stops. Here's a link to youtube where a guy reviews it

Another down side is the cost. Unless you can find one refurb or used expect to pay 400+ dollars for a brand new one. Unless the price has dropped since the beginning of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help I would really like to find a refurbished 2720 or 2730. I used to have a 2730. I dont really want used just because it is a Christmas Gift I would hate to get something used and have problems.

Garmin NUVI 500/550 are also motorcycle friendly, and don't have the features you will never use on a Ninja.

The GPSMAP 276/378/478 are other options from Garmin.

I already had my Nuvi 255w when I got the bike so I just mounted itand I haven't had it out in the rain so, so far so good some say just carry a zip lock in case of rain. Again not the features of MC specific models but also not the cost :rolleyes:

I've found that the Garmin Nuvi 205W is all that I need. It's muted cause I don't want to hear it - just see what I need when rambling out in the country. It's got a nice set of trip data including a max speed :) ! You can download screenshots to your computer, you can get POI's like all the Yamaha dealers locations from free internet sources. In short, for less than $150 bucks, it works. No, it's not waterproof. I can use it in 18 degree weather with gloves on, though. If you're cheap like me, it's more than enough.

I'm sure motorcycle-specific models are wonderful, but you don't have to go the Cadillac route.

Plus, if it ever croaks or gets stolen, would you rather $150 or $650?

I have a Garmin 276C with the Tourtech mount. The 276C gives you the largest screen available for us old blind people but the downside is the proprietory memory card which is expense. I use this GPS between the FJR and my WR450F dirtbike and have no problems. The 276C is now on sale at quite a few dealers since it is an older model. The newer models have lots of additional features (bluetooth, XM Radio) but if you have an IPod and a multiplexer already you don't really need it IMHO.