Need Help with Hardwiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitelife

Reaction score
Ok, So I get this Zumo thing today and have already updated software, installed mount, and charged the battery. There is no instructions as to wiring this thing up for power. I searched and browsed the forums and still can't find any instructions. Your help would be appreciated as I am ready to go ride.

Thanks.

Does it come with a power cord that is supposedly 12 volt or was that an optional kit as with most Garmins?

When I ordered the optional hardwire kit for my 2730 it included a red wire with a fuse and a black wire. Those were positive and negative respectively. I chose to wire directly to my battery because I wanted the GPS on regardless of the key and draw was minimal.

Does it come with a power cord that is supposedly 12 volt or was that an optional kit as with most Garmins?
When I ordered the optional hardwire kit for my 2730 it included a red wire with a fuse and a black wire. Those were positive and negative respectively. I chose to wire directly to my battery because I wanted the GPS on regardless of the key and draw was minimal.
It came with hardwire and fuse. Curious as to if most have wire directly to battery or switched. If switched, where did you connect to?

Thanks

Ok, So I get this Zumo thing today and have already updated software, installed mount, and charged the battery. There is no instructions as to wiring this thing up for power. I searched and browsed the forums and still can't find any instructions. Your help would be appreciated as I am ready to go ride.Thanks.
Red goes to positive, black to negative. Really, it's that simple. You could wire the red wire to the positive battery post and the black to the negative post. This will provide unswitched power (always on) for the Zumo. Or you could find a wire that's hot when the ignition is on and connect the red wire using a splice connector. This will provide power only when the ignition is on, however, the Zumo prompts you that the bike power is off and asks it you want to turn off the GPS or continue on it's internal battery. Check out the Zumo forum at https://www.zumoforums.com and look for the Installation Info thread.

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

I wouldn't switch it because it's a PITA to wait for it to gain a fix when you fire up the bike....or wait for a to gain a fix. If I were to switch it...I'd do it on a barrier strip, but that's because I have a bunch of farkles.

Well... I wired my Zumo up to my Blue Sea fuse block, which I installed under my seat. The Blue Sea is connected directly to my battery through a switched relay. I have my Baehr system and the Zumo connected for now, but have room to expand on the Blue Sea, which can handle 30 amps. Bought the Blue Sea at Wests Marine Hardware for about $45 and the standard automotive relay is only a few bucks. I can post a detailed drawing if you would like.

BlueSeasInstall.jpg

The moto mount wires are bare at the end so you can wire it however it is most convenient. The easiest way is to crimp on some battery connectors and hook it directly to the battery. Others have hooked up cigarette lighter or powerlet (BMW style) plugs to plug it into whatever power outlets they've installed on their dash. I followed others and soldered on an SAE plug so that I can plug it into the pigtail for the Battery Tender -- a nice solution if you have a Battery Tender since otherwise that outlet goes unused when you're on the road. You need to be a little more careful with this last approach to make sure you've got the polarity right.

By the way, if you want to see how to hook up an in-dash receptacle for the Batter Tender, click here.

Nitelife - I've got the 2720. I stuck a powerlet plug on the end of the powercord from Garmin and I plug it into my right side powerlet outlet. The outlet is hardwired to the battery - so, I can run the GPS whether the bike is on or not. Easy to do.

I chose to wire directly to my battery because I wanted the GPS on regardless of the key and draw was minimal.
This is the way that I hooked mine up also. Iggy, any idea how long the gps can stay fired up with the bike off before the battery is dangerously low? I would like the option of leaving it on if I break for lunch but also don't want to fry the battery.

I chose to wire directly to my battery because I wanted the GPS on regardless of the key and draw was minimal.
This is the way that I hooked mine up also. Iggy, any idea how long the gps can stay fired up with the bike off before the battery is dangerously low? I would like the option of leaving it on if I break for lunch but also don't want to fry the battery.
I can't answer for the Zumo but I leave my Quest on there charging (but not turned on) for days at a time.

First, I replaced my stock horns with Magnum Blasters. The wiring for that uses the wires from one stock horn to power a relay for the blasters and leaves the wires from the other stock horn unused. The unused horn wires are a switched power source, meaning they are only on when the key is on. I joined the power for my radar detector and Garmin 2720 together on a single spade connector and plugged it into the switched unused horn wire.

I prefer to use switched power for everything because I originally had my radar detector on an un-switched circuit and killed the battery by forgetting it on while the bike was unused for a few days. Even though these devices don't draw much, they will kill your battery if left on for long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my Zumo mounted to my switched Blue Sea which is located in my tail. I am running the power up to the Zumo along the right side through the engine block along with my Starcom wiring.

Iggy, any idea how long the gps can stay fired up with the bike off before the battery is dangerously low? I would like the option of leaving it on if I break for lunch but also don't want to fry the battery.
I've left my 2730 on 5+ hours+ before and the starter didn't seem the slightest bit weak. I've heard overnight+ from various LD riders.

I prefer to use switched power for everything because I originally had my radar detector on an un-switched circuit and killed the battery by forgetting it on while the bike was unused for a few days. Even though these devices don't draw much, they will kill your battery if left on for long.
I think t a radar detector draws MUCH more juice than a GPS.

....trying to find documentation, but I'm guessing it's an order of magnitude more.

Battery equipped navigators should be wired to switched power. The reason is that if you wire directly to the battery, the unit will draw power continuously, trickle charging the battery inside the navigator. Since Zumo has an internal battery, you CAN leave it on for 3 or so hours (16 or so on the 276) to work on it in a restaurant or just to leave it on while inside eating so you won't have a 'break' in the track. The short batery life is one of my nits with the Zumo.

Zumo (and the rest of the group - Quest/276/376/378/478) all have competent power-down routines, so pulling power isn;t an issue and because they shut off, their internal batteries remain properly charged.

They don't take long to power up, unless you've left the unit sit for a week or so, in whcih case you are looking at whopping 45 seconds.

Lastly, if you wire to switched power, you won't inadvertantly leave your unit powered on when you leave it.

QUOTE(nitelife @ Apr 5 2007, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, So I get this Zumo thing today and have already updated software, installed mount, and charged the battery. There is no instructions as to wiring this thing up for power. I searched and browsed the forums and still can't find any instructions. Your help would be appreciated as I am ready to go ride.

Thanks.

I used the socket in the glovebox for my Satnav (a Tomtom, but that makes no difference), taking the wire through the rubber drain grommet.

Details here:

https://atrophy.lock.net/atrophy/do/tomtom.php

(1st part for my Trophy, second for my FJR).

Well... I wired my Zumo up to my Blue Sea fuse block, which I installed under my seat. The Blue Sea is connected directly to my battery through a switched relay. I have my Baehr system and the Zumo connected for now, but have room to expand on the Blue Sea, which can handle 30 amps. Bought the Blue Sea at Wests Marine Hardware for about $45 and the standard automotive relay is only a few bucks. I can post a detailed drawing if you would like.
BlueSeasInstall.jpg
I would like to see that. I have my GPS wired unswitched (but fused) off of the battery. I would rather it lose power when I took the key out. I am interested in what components you ordered hand which circuit you used to relay off of the switch.

Thanks.

+1 on plugging into the accessory box plug as a quick and simple solution.

Are any of you having problems with ignition noise? If so, how did you solve it?

I have my Zumo and AutoCom wired off switched power jumped off the accessory plug in the glove box. Power cable runs from cowling under the tank to the seat. Stereo cable from Zumo to AutoCom takes the same route. Hearing static above 4200 RPM through about 6500.

<I know, one solution would be to just to light her up and stay on it. The other is to putz along.> Remember reading another post by someone else who had same problem, but haven't been able to find it. Going to try throwing everything in my tanl bag next weekend and gradually return items to mounts to see if i can identify exactly which cable it is originating from.

i originally had the zumo hooked up to the loom that runs the heated grips on the fjr.

later found out that as they are regulated (the grips) the power would come and go.

it's temporarily hooked straight to the battery. i intend to have it hooked up to a switched

power supply soon.

jason