Need Help with this Hero2 in NorCal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I have this problem with technical manuals in general, and the one that came with my new GoPro Hero2 is among the worst ever, maybe the very worst, in fact. I just can't make heads or tails of it, and I really don't have the patience to figure it out by trial and error. The book is really tiny and just leaves everything I want to know unsaid.

I posted a couple weeks ago with questions about mounting the thing and got some suggestions that were helpful--but none from anyone near here. I'm hoping there's somebody within an hour or two from Sac who would give me a tutorial on operating this damn thing. I'll come to you, naturally, or at least meet you for a ride if there's a ride between us you'd enjoy. The camera seems to be simplicity itself, with only two buttons to operate it, but at least so far, it just isn't intuitive at all and the "manual" is no help at all. (I also kind of hate that the tiny little LCD screen that shows the mode and menu choices is both so hard to see when you're looking straight at it, and so impossible to see from the saddle once the camera is mounted on the bike.)

So once again I open myself up to a beating for my lack of tech-savvy, but when I compared the pain of that prospect to the pain of continuing to beat my head against the wall figuring it out myself, I decided to let you have your say.

Maybe there's a website with a thorough guide to using the camera too, but I haven't had any luck finding that either. A link like that would be greatly appreciated too.

Anyway, somebody around here must have (and understand) this nifty little camera. I'd sure like to get a lesson. I'll even buy lunch.

Mike the camera is different than any other camera that you've probably ever used before. But honestly if you watch the video, stop & start it and do everything that is shown in the video you'll start to get familiar with how it is setup and how you adjust your settings. Just take your time, familiarize yourself with what each icon represents and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

The downside of two button simplicity and tiny little LCD screen of several characters...is that if you want to do something other than power it on or start shooting....it's WAY complicated. It's worse than the Casio I got when I was 15!

The video is a nice augmentation to the manual...especially starting around the 2:20 mark. Trial and error is the cross you have to bare to get this little jewel working.

Mike, as GR and others are saying...

how's this? what are you having trouble with? what do you want to do that you can't?

I have the GPro1, it works okay and is suppose to be LESS intuitive than the 2...

let us know how we can help :)

Mike...Are you wearing your reading glasses? Those will help with the little icons. :p I'm not much help except to say I have seen some really dumb people work the camera just fine, so I know you can do it. ;)

I have this problem with technical manuals in general, and the one that came with my new GoPro Hero2 is among the worst ever, maybe the very worst, in fact. I just can't make heads or tails of it, and I really don't have the patience to figure it out by trial and error. The book is really tiny and just leaves everything I want to know unsaid.

I posted a couple weeks ago with questions about mounting the thing and got some suggestions that were helpful--but none from anyone near here. I'm hoping there's somebody within an hour or two from Sac who would give me a tutorial on operating this damn thing. I'll come to you, naturally, or at least meet you for a ride if there's a ride between us you'd enjoy. The camera seems to be simplicity itself, with only two buttons to operate it, but at least so far, it just isn't intuitive at all and the "manual" is no help at all. (I also kind of hate that the tiny little LCD screen that shows the mode and menu choices is both so hard to see when you're looking straight at it, and so impossible to see from the saddle once the camera is mounted on the bike.)

So once again I open myself up to a beating for my lack of tech-savvy, but when I compared the pain of that prospect to the pain of continuing to beat my head against the wall figuring it out myself, I decided to let you have your say.

Maybe there's a website with a thorough guide to using the camera too, but I haven't had any luck finding that either. A link like that would be greatly appreciated too.

Anyway, somebody around here must have (and understand) this nifty little camera. I'd sure like to get a lesson. I'll even buy lunch.
Get the "Backpack" for your GoPro Hero, it makes operation about 100 times easier !!

Mike -

I'm in Truckee and I have a GoPro HD (not a GoPro 2), but I'd be happy to help you figure it out. It's a very cool little camera when you figure it out. Mostly what that boils down to is figuring out that you want it to take a movie or take a still picture on a certain interval, start the thing and let it roll. I have a bunch of movies that start with me giving the camera a long, searching look while I make sure that it is actually recording. There are a few more 'non-movies' where I didn't look carefully enough to make sure that it was running, because it was NOT.

It's big fun once you get the hang of it, which is mostly learning to navigate the rather arcane menu structure. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pete