Need Information On a GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Laconia 06 FJR

I would like to know what GPS is good on a bike that also can be used in a car. I am not sure of the features, pro or con, but I would like to buy one unit to be used for both vehicles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I move my Garmin 2610 back and forth between the bike and my cars... works well in both!

I would like to know what GPS is good on a bike that also can be used in a car. I am not sure of the features, pro or con, but I would like to buy one unit to be used for both vehicles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Garmin 2730 for me - I move it back & forth between 2 bikes + car.

If you are going to be using it on more than one vehicle, make sure the mounting system is friendly in the task; that is, the 2730 comes with an external XM Radio antenna - before I got Cycle Gadgets XM Antenna mount that easily attaches to the Garmin Quick Release mount, moving it between bikes was a hassle.

Best Regards,

Shane

There are some good deals on refurbs from auth Garmin dealers ... 2720 for 6 bills USD. Can't tell em from new.

I move my Garmin 2610 back and forth between the bike and my cars... works well in both!
Same here (2610), although if I were buying today, I'd get the newer one with the better screen, can't remember the number, but stay away from ones with disk drives.

One question to ask yourself is whether Satelite Radio is important to you, some of the GPS's have them integrated which can be nice. I probably wouldn't utilize it, but some like it.

I would recommend the following GPS systems

The Garmin 2720, 2730 and 2820 with bluetooth and audio out feature depending on your needs.

The TomTom Rider with Bluetooth

The Garmin 276C/376c if you own a boat, a motorcycle and a car

Magellan will soon have a unit out that is also suitable for motorcycle and will have some unique features that might be nice to have.

Shop around and try to buy from an authorized dealer that is local, it will be hard to get support from a dealer that is not near you. Help out your local small GPS business and they will treat you right also and provide service that is needed with these units.

Good luck

04FJR4ME

Auto Nav 2000 Plus, Inc.

I use my Garmin 378C w/XM Weather on the bike(s), in the car and on the boat! It's perfect for all four.

I need the larger screen to see the detail, since I'm a little far-sighted these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you like the screen size?
I have no problems with the size, but a bike-powered cradle is a must.

FWIW, I associate with 8 riders who use GPS on their bikes (plus myself). Of those 9, there's 8 Quests and one Streetpilot of some sort. It's a very popular model in these parts.

One thing though, I hate the Quest2. It contains the entire N.America database stored internally which sounds like a nice idea, but it has downsides. The data is stored in a compressed form, so it takes much longer to calculate routes and search for POIs. Map re-draws take a long time too. It's no fun looking at a blank screen, waiting for it it display something useful, as you're approaching an important turn.

The Quest1 has more than enough map memory for a multi-day trip, and it performs better than the Quest2.

Seem on the left coast there are lots of garmin 2610's, more than any other GPS I have seen on bikes. I just sold my 2610 and I am undecided whether to go with the 2720,2730 or 2820.I use an Autocom so I dont' know if I need blue tooth or xm etc. Maybe the 2720. but if I dump my Autocom cuz I realy don't use the intercom maybe the 2820 would fit . Help?

I first used a Garmin Street Pilot 3, but then I wanted color so I now have the Garmin 276C. Love it, use it on the bike and car. Like the idea of the optional power cord with a speaker to use when in the car.

mac

I have the 2730 I did have the 2610. I think both are excellent units but the 2730 is far superior if you have the bucks. The quest does not have adequate memory for any decent ride but the quest 2 fixed that problem. Hers a pic of the 2730 on steam stand mount and GXM on brake resivoir. I have a skyway mount for GXM but have not had time to install yet.

IMGP0132.jpg