Need input..anyone own a Honda CRF250L, Yamaha WR250, or Kaw KLX250s?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All are under powered on the street.

I got rid of both my 250's and got a DR 400 Suzuki much better on the street and or fire trails.

Just my opinion.

Check out the rider mag this month..... shoot out for the those three. As for being under power ..... not sure about that

The DR400 is old school. It needs a update badly!

sorry forgot to answer the question.... I have a 2008 WR250R .... I like it. I like the EFI instead carbs

Bungie has a 2012 CRF 250L I think he likes his.... or at least he is still buying farkles for it. So he must like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Cruizer, is Pants starting to get to you as well? I have found myself looking into these things more and more here lately and that RR from Pants the other day did not help... If my son would just give me the slightest hint that he cares about a dirtbike...

SC:

You should ask yourself: what's the thing you're after with this bike? Trails? Single track? Forest roads? All around cheap dual sport? Will you ride to the dirt, or trailer the bike? How far do you have to ride on the highway? Answer those questions, and it will naturally direct you to the right bikes.

Gray is right: 250's are good around-town bikes, but won't feel great on the open road unless you gear them properly, in which case you'll be disappointed with their single track performance. I've got a Husky TE 310 (basically a bored out 250) which is a terrific trails and single track bike, but hates being above 55 mph on the highways. I actually added 3 teeth in the rear to help out on trails, but killing my top end in the process. I thought I'd be doing more dual sport, but in reality, it's become a dirt bike, and if I wanted something more evenly split b/t dirt and street, I'd be eyeing something in the 650 range (like the KTM 690R or a larger Husky). A 250 shines on the dirt, not so much elsewhere.

Of the three you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Yamaha WR. But I'd look hard at the DR400 or other bikes if you'll be spending any time on the street or hope to ride on the highways. Another option is the newly released Husky Terra, assuming its a dual sport you are after. Only $7k for a fuel injected bike.

The WR is a great dual sport. Not bad around town or for a short commute. I don't think I'd want to do any extended interstate riding. Probably the best trail bike of the 3 you mentioned.

I've been thinking about swaping my VTX for a used one.

Also check out Cycle World this month for their opinion.

Also forgot to add: dirt bikes lose resale value pretty quickly. A $7k bike is pretty quickly a $4k bike without many miles, so you'd do well to find a used bike. Once they've lost the initial drop, dirt bikes seems to stay steady-priced at around $2-3k for quite some time. If this is your first dual sport or dirt bike, try something used so you don't sink a ton into it, and then decide you wanted something bigger instead.

I'm looking for something street legal, light, and has decent performance in the dirt, sand, trails, etc. I already have a Wee Strom, but the reality is, it's a street bike that's only suitable for some gravel roads or hard packed dirt roads. It's much too heavy to take out in the woods.

Ah Cruizer, is Pants starting to get to you as well? I have found myself looking into these things more and more here lately and that RR from Pants the other day did not help... If my son would just give me the slightest hint that he cares about a dirtbike...
LOL I have been thinking about doing some trail riding for a while now, and Pants' report definitely does not help !! There are a few places to ride within 60 miles of my home, so a lightweight street legal dual sport bike would fit the bill. I dont want to ride a 500lb bike around the woods, so a 250cc would work, or a very light 400-450cc.

Very little I can add that others haven't already mentioned. Buy a comparable bike to what your buddies ride. Too hardcore and you'll be bored riding with them. Too fat and they won't ride with you because you can't keep up.

I bought a 2009 KLX 250s for my daughter and it has been a great bike for a few years but she's thinking bigger now. Even with her light weight she can barely loft the front end over obstacles.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with a gently used DRZ400. Dated, but more than capable of everything from tough singletrack to a TAT crossing.

With the sale of Husky even this Husky rider/fanboy would hold off on their new stuff until things settle down. If you do your own wrenching it's no biggie but if you need a dealer I would wait to see how the new owner is going to handle dealer network.

I went through this same decision process last year. I came to the conclusion that for me, the new Honda CRF250 was the right bike at the right price. I was looking for something to use primarily on trails and gravel roads that was street legal for the short ride to the dirt. I am too old and take too long to heal to be jumping berms and logs and such.

Unfortunately we needed a new car more than I needed another bike, so the dual sport is on hold.

SC:
You should ask yourself: what's the thing you're after with this bike? Trails? Single track? Forest roads? All around cheap dual sport? Will you ride to the dirt, or trailer the bike? How far do you have to ride on the highway? Answer those questions, and it will naturally direct you to the right bikes.

Gray is right: 250's are good around-town bikes, but won't feel great on the open road unless you gear them properly, in which case you'll be disappointed with their single track performance. I've got a Husky TE 310 (basically a bored out 250) which is a terrific trails and single track bike, but hates being above 55 mph on the highways. I actually added 3 teeth in the rear to help out on trails, but killing my top end in the process. I thought I'd be doing more dual sport, but in reality, it's become a dirt bike, and if I wanted something more evenly split b/t dirt and street, I'd be eyeing something in the 650 range (like the KTM 690R or a larger Husky). A 250 shines on the dirt, not so much elsewhere.

Of the three you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Yamaha WR. But I'd look hard at the DR400 or other bikes if you'll be spending any time on the street or hope to ride on the highways. Another option is the newly released Husky Terra, assuming its a dual sport you are after. Only $7k for a fuel injected bike.
Hudson, the Terra looks like a great bike, but I want to stay under 450ccs...i want LIGHT weight, not overly concerned with power. I may even consider a trials oriented dual sport (if they even have such a thing). :)

Type of riding makes a big difference in choice. For tight trails a 250 is where it is at. For more open trails you can jump up to more CC's. Forget about doing any distance highway driving with a 250cc. My 650L will maintain 70mph for as many miles as needed on the highway but it sucks in the tight stuff.

My choice if going with the 250cc would be the WR.

Good luck,

Dave

Type of riding makes a big difference in choice. For tight trails a 250 is where it is at. For more open trails you can jump up to more CC's. Forget about doing any distance highway driving with a 250cc. My 650L will maintain 70mph for as many miles as needed on the highway but it sucks in the tight stuff.
My choice if going with the 250cc would be the WR.

Good luck,

Dave
Thanks Dave, you understand where I'm coming from. I dont want to wrestle a big bike in dense woods or trails. Plus, when the inevitable deep mud has to be dealt with, its easier to haul the light bike thru it if need be, or when picking it up after running into a 4 ft pine tree. ;)

My WR250R will get up to 60-70mph but because of wind and the seat I would not like highway riding for very long. I have heard a lot of people use it to commute. If they do it must be a short distance.

I like my CRF250L a lot. I wanted a WRR like Huron's but reasonable deals on the used market are pretty rare on those around these parts. For the difference in price I bought the CRFL. Not as high spec as the WRR for sure, but I'm old and my days of fearlessness are long behind me. The CRFL is perfect for what I use it for. Running back and forth to work and exploring the gravel/2track/1track around here.

Big difference in price too. Got a brand new bike for the what a decent WRR would have cost me used.

The KLX250S and CRFL are closer in spec and performance than the WR250R and the CRFL are. You need to evaluate your expecatations and real world use against price in this case. Regardless, all the 3 bikes will let you get your ya-ya's on.

I'd go for the WR250 over the Suzuki. IMO it handles better for single track (has better suspension and geometry) and the Suzuki has a very narrow gear box whereas the WR is wide ratio and can cruise at 65/70 mph on the flat highway effortlessly.

I owned a WR250R for a while, just last year. It is quite a good trail bike, though a bit portly for a 250 at 300 lbs. Still, it has way more HP than the other 250 contenders and if you keep the r's up it will blast up every hill and dale. What none of the 250's has is the down low grunty torque that makes a good woods bike really fun. If money were no object, I'd go with a KTM LC4 super enduro of some vintage. Lighter than the WR250 and equal or better suspenders, but with gobs more power at the top and the bottom. But money is an object (for me) and so I don't have one.
not_i.gif

By the way, riding 60-90 miles on road on an enduro bike, a snap on a street bike or even a 'strom, is no walk in the park on these lightweights. Seats are made for not sitting on (standing) and the bikes are not geared for highway travel. Trailers are your friend.

Good luck with your quest.

LOL I have been thinking about doing some trail riding for a while now, and Pants' report definitely does not help !! There are a few places to ride within 60 miles of my home, so a lightweight street legal dual sport bike would fit the bill. I dont want to ride a 500lb bike around the woods, so a 250cc would work, or a very light 400-450cc.
So does this mean you have decided to give me the Wee Strom? You know, "Free to Good Home".
smile.png