Need input..anyone own a Honda CRF250L, Yamaha WR250, or Kaw KLX250s?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah Cruizer, is Pants starting to get to you as well? I have found myself looking into these things more and more here lately and that RR from Pants the other day did not help... If my son would just give me the slightest hint that he cares about a dirtbike...
LOL I have been thinking about doing some trail riding for a while now, and Pants' report definitely does not help !! There are a few places to ride within 60 miles of my home, so a lightweight street legal dual sport bike would fit the bill. I dont want to ride a 500lb bike around the woods, so a 250cc would work, or a very light 400-450cc.
So does this mean you have decided to give me the Wee Strom? You know, "Free to Good Home".
smile.png
HA! keep dreaming Redfish™...that STROM stays in my stable..best dang commuting bike i ever had! Its a hoot to ride.

I have a KLX250sf and a sv650s. I ride the KLX250sf much more. It is a lot of fun on curvy country roads. But I would not want to ride it on highways.

My 690r is a blast on the road and off, not so good on tight stuff due to weight, 300 lbs, and limited steering. You really need to spin up the rear tire to make tight turns with this bike. The frame is a road bike frame so it acts like a road bike with a foot of suspension travel and a foot of clearance. I wouldn't trade it for a little 250 because I like the power, but I don't do too much tight single track.

darc%25201.jpg

It's all relative, Mr Bill. 300 lbs on a > 600cc thumper is light.

On a little two fiddy, not so much.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all relative, Mr Bill. 300 lbs on a > 600cc thumper is light.
On a little two fiddy, not so much.
wink.png
Yup the CRFL is a relative porker. All the dualsport 2-fitties are on the chunky side. It's the trade off for bigger breaks etc needed for road use. (that and $5000 difference in materials between a dedicated offroader and these).

On the plus side, even when my skinny ass dumps the bike, I can pick it up easily once I stop laughing at myself.

My Husqvarna 630 (similar to the KTM690) will do single track but not at the same pace a sub 230 lb 2-stroke will. However when riding alone or in unfamiliar areas you really put yourself at a huge risk riding "race" pace 25 miles from another human.

IMG_3389e.jpg

IMG_3446e.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

SC, so it seems it's a woods bike you are after. Would really recommend you look for a 09-10 gently used TE310. You can find them for under $5k, the engines are stone reliable and super easy to service, and unlike some of the 250's, the extra lungs of the 310 have the grunt without too much pork.

wabdr20.jpg

Only downsides are (I) smaller dealer network (but you are reasonably close to Halls, a great Midwest dealer that stocks parts) and (ii) an aftermarket with tons of options (there is stuff for the Husky, just not as diverse as the Yammie). But so far, I've been able to source everything I need online or locally within a week, and everyone that's tried the bike has great things to say about its handling and torque and general all-around goodness.

Otherwise, a WR strikes me as your best bet.

I was hoping that with BMW's involvement in Husky that their support network would improve. Doesn't seem to have been the case so far.

And where the heck are the Asians in this category (woods worthy, street legal dual sports)? Aside from the WR250 everything else is just old school, air cooled tankers or off-road only enduros. For me a WR450R (IOW the WR250R with a bigger engine) would be the bomb diggety.

I was hoping that with BMW's involvement in Husky that their support network would improve. Doesn't seem to have been the case so far.
And where the heck are the Asians in this category (woods worthy, street legal dual sports)? Aside from the WR250 everything else is just old school, air cooled tankers or off-road only enduros. For me a WR450R (IOW the WR250R with a bigger engine) would be the bomb diggety.
There was something one of my motorcycle mags this month about Honda introducing a CRF450 Dakar version, with a larger tank.

CRF450X_Rally_1_1024.jpg