Need More Brakes!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where the hell you been?
Ummmm.. Would ya believe stealing money from Train fanatics? Shit I worked twenty hour days every day last week ( poor kid of mine did a couple all nighters to keep 'em happy) just to make a buck offen 'em :D Got me a few thousand in inventory now ya putz.

'sides what the fuk you care pisswistle?

:****:

:jester:
'cuz even tho I'm an asshole, YOU make me look like a saint!

Bernard maybe.. Leave me be Mc Douche..I'm off the sleep the sleep of the dead tonight :blink:

:jester:

I know it's just not right trying to sneak a serious response in here, but a grippier front tire will definitely delay the onset of the ABS. Since the ABS doesn't activate until the tire begins to slip, making the front tire grab better, either through tire selection or through lower pressure, will give you more braking power before the ABS 'puter takes over and limits you.

But there is a limit to everything. And the FJR brakes are damn good no matter what tire you got on there. So, if you find that the brakes you have on your new FJR just "ain't good enuff" maybe the first place to look for the problem is the loose nut behind the bars? :unsure:

By the way, in a truly 100% panic stop where you unload the rear wheel completely, the rear brake is almost useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Fred...a serious reply.

The OP didn't hit the car = enough braking power.

That, at least to me, invalidates the thread title.

Are you mad because your bike doen't have a clutch? :blink: I never said that WE should'nt practice evasive manuvers, of strive to be better, more alert riders.

I only said, pertaining to "it's a tad simpler than that" that I don't think braided lines will help that much and that I don't think the bike malfuntioned. I think the only thing mechanically that needs done is to make sure his brake lines are void of air pockets.

And where did Dude come from Dude?

One more thing, that really must have been urine in your wheeties this morning.
OMG, Ok lets review..

No, I am not mad because my bike does not have a clutch, I dont have a bike anymore because I crashed it.. So your premise is incorrect and yet you base many conclusions on your incorrect premise.. (As I said, lets keep up here ladies)

Pertaining to.. That is way to fancy talk for little old me, but I did check for that fancy word in your original post and did not find it.. Are you adding words to be right?? Be careful, my wife does that and I am ready for that move!! (No I did not just call you a bitch,, relax)

"The only thing Mechanically".. did not see that word in your original post either.. Hmmm me thinks the game is afoot!! Although I do agree that there is likely nothing wrong with the bike, but rather technique. But I covered that in my post huh? Oh BTW,, if we are doing mechanical checks, lets start with a long list of things to check.. But we digress huh..

"Dude" came from my keyboard, it is a short 4 letter word.. In checking your profile I get 38 years old
gender_male.png
Male

What part of it confused you.. What part did I get wrong?

Urin in my weaties?? OK DUDE,, lets review..

"my wife does that"

"where did Dude come"

"urine in your wheeties"

You fight like a girl and throw like a girl too??? Dudete << is that better??

You may want to consider growing a thicker skin to haunt these environs..

Relax

I was not then, nor am I now, upset.. How bout you??

I've read through all this and considering the lack of consensus or apparent failure of any type, I'd say if the brakes on an FJR aren't adequate(?) in your opinion, maybe a big bike isn't your thing. I'd love to see your face if you rode my old aspenbarge.

But if you continue riding the fjr and want an added measure of protection, the option below might be just right for you ;)

chute_art3.jpg

You'd think it was in the middle of the freakin winter around here the last few days!

BTW, brakes, be they ABS or not, REALLY don't work well in snow. Neither do forum signatures.

Andy S had an understandably stressful moment on the bike and posted about it with some legitimate questions/concerns. Several members offered up some solid info/advice, as well as a few critiques, (based on opinions of what may have happened by people that weren't there and Andy S's brief description <_< ).

Now we've devolved into people debating the merits of each other's posts. WTF? We have nothing better to do? At Ease!

Andy S probably unsubbed from his own thread at this point. :eek: And who could blame him?

Hopefully we gave him some things to check, and some ideas to follow through on that will help him eliminate possible brake issues & feel more comfortable on the Feej in traffic situations. It's not like most of us haven't had our own pucker moments out there.

Tip#47 - Consider a PM if you're just going to bitch about someone's post, (or defend your own), and it's not relevant to the topic. heh, like this post! ;) This is now officially a muddy smear in a field where a dead horse used to be. Let it go.

How do we close a thread?
Stop lookin, it is about personal choice :p

You'd think it was in the middle of the freakin winter around here the last few days!

BTW, brakes, be they ABS or not, REALLY don't work well in snow. Neither do forum signatures.
I gotta say that is true.. I tried it.. Stick the legs out like outriggers.. and let her go and hope for the best..

Now Forum Signatures.. The can too be done in show.. They turn out kinda yellow lookin and should not be eatin but they can be done..

I shall take pictures this winter to prove it.

Well, I looked a little further into some of the suggestions that were really meant to help. I did bleed the front brakes, and while I did not get a noticable air pocket released, it did seem to help a bit. I then took the bike to a local practice spot, and found the front ABS engagement point. While this engagement point is at solid braking level, it is not as high as I would like just the same, but I will ride accordingly.

For clarity, there was no accident through good fortune only - I had NO outs left; the cager kept coming into me in such a way that my escape routes were being removed one by one. At the very end, I was able to get by with MAYBE an inch or two to spare between hard curbs/trees and the cars front bumper. It was a bizarre situation - the driver was not looking at me at all - distracted with something. I was actually trying to find the least painful dismount place at this point while squeezing the FJR thru the last little bit of space. It was surreal, and it was happening in slow motion. I did not panic, but simply ran out of room and choices in that 2-3 seconds while doing the best I could to stop.

To those who want to just slam others, I truly hope you are never in this type of situation. It is terribly unsettling when you find you are not immortal and despite your practiced skills and experience, you can buy it at almost any time. Over the last 10 years or so, I have ridden an average of 30,000 miles a year. I have been riding actively for 35+ years, and I am confident my skills are at least above average. I have the pleasure (mostly) of test riding many new bikes each year for my job. I work for a bike aftermarket company, and in '09 alone, I have ridden: Honda 09 CBR1000, 09 CBR600, Fury, Kawasaki ZX6, ZX14, Concours 14, Versys, Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Vulcan Voyager, Nomad and Classic, Harley Street Glide, Ultra Glide, Sportster, Dyna, Softail and XR1200, Suzuki Hayabusa, GSXR 1000 and 600, M109R and C109R, SV650, Yamaha FJR (mine and work), 08 and 09 R1's, R6, V-Star 950, Raider, Warrior, VMAX (!), Ducati 1098, Hypermotard, and Streetfighter.

I do know how front brakes and suspension work (or don't). I think I was probably "calibrated" for the 1-2 finger monobloc stopping monsters that I ride regularly at work, and was probably not ready for the pull required to fully engage the front. I won't make that mistake again. I enjoy the FJR a lot, but it is not perfect. It is tall, top heavy and cannot manuver or stop like a superbike. It can take trips beautifully, and it is a great daily rider, and that is why I own it. I just need to ride it the way it was meant to be ridden, and stay in touch with it every time I get on it.

Thanks to all who gave positive sugestions, they were helpful.

Ride safe!

Excellent synopsis, Andy!

While I do not have any qualms about the braking power of the FJR, afterall it is a >600 lb whale of a bike, I'm thinking very hard about replacing my stock front brake lines with some Galfers in the coming year or so. I'm fairly confident that would buy a lot of added feel up front as there is sponginess in the lever even when the air has been completely purged. I'm betting that is due to the long length of brake line, going down to the ABS and then back to the wheel. I'll also bet that the non-ABS bikes have a crisper feeling front brake (before the wheel locks up :p )

While I do not have any qualms about the braking power of the FJR, afterall it is a >600 lb whale of a bike, I'm thinking very hard about replacing my stock front brake lines with some Galfers in the coming year or so. I'm fairly confident that would buy a lot of added feel up front as there is sponginess in the lever even when the air has been completely purged. I'm betting that is due to the long length of brake line, going down to the ABS and then back to the wheel. I'll also bet that the non-ABS bikes have a crisper feeling front brake (before the wheel locks up :p )
Fred,,

I replaced my pads with the HH Scintered from EBC.. This made a HUGE difference. I had to re-calibrate my two finger pull as I was applying to much through practice and muschle memory.

Andy, I have been in that situation a couple of times, I live in Utah where the traffic courts send drivers from other states deemed too much of a hazard for normal roads. I do know the feeling and the analytical process watching option disappear. It can be disheartening

Fred,,

I replaced my pads with the HH Scintered from EBC.. This made a HUGE difference. I had to re-calibrate my two finger pull as I was applying to much through practice and muschle memory.

Andy, I have been in that situation a couple of times, I live in Utah where the traffic courts send drivers from other states deemed too much of a hazard for normal roads. I do know the feeling and the analytical process watching option disappear. It can be disheartening
The EBC pads are a bit of an improvement on braking but they are hell on rotors. I just had to replace mine. Two sets of stock pads in 60k and the rotors were fine and 15k on the EBC pads and the rotors were history.

The EBC pads are a bit of an improvement on braking but they are hell on rotors. I just had to replace mine. Two sets of stock pads in 60k and the rotors were fine and 15k on the EBC pads and the rotors were history.
+50 on that. 90k on one set of stock pads and the rotors were not significantly worn. 19k on EBCs and the rotors are getting visibly thin. Not sure they will last thru the pads.