Need Part #: 4mm Front Cowling Bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT Pedersen

Reaction score
Greetings,

Got the bike back from the dealer and, washing the bike a week later, found all the front cowling bolts were loose. Tightened up, but not before one went MIA.

Need the part # for the bolts.

I've been to the dealer, looked at the parts catalog for them, checked the shop manual, and nowhere are the bolts called out. They're illustrated (e.g. part of front cowling assy), but no-where- are they spec'd in a BOM or otherwise called out.

These (SS?) bolts do not look like something I'll find at my local hardware store. Before I start going to extraordinary lengths, I wanted to ask for help here:

Can anyone provide me with a part # for the front cowling bolt? This is the 4mm stainless/chrome bolt of which there are (6), (3) to a side.

Thanks in advance,

JT...

The parts fiche on the Yamaha web site (and many online parts vendors as well) calls out every single fastener with a part number and quantity required. I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in a dealer that didn't know where to get that information.

That's not true . . . I know exactly how much faith I'd have in them! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to also order a few 90202-05180-00, washers.

The plastic washers help protect the paint from the screws.

The price of those "milk carton" residuals has me thinking I should spend 2 minutes laying 'em out here and firing off da laser ..

Stoopid for what those POS consist of..

For the price of one of them I will make you 50.... White lake ain't that far away man. Tech weekend 4 is coming up before ya need 'em.

Think I'll knock out a couple hundred in the next day or two..Anyone wanting these let me know..

I'll need an addy Jack.

The parts fiche on the Yamaha web site (and many online parts vendors as well) calls out every single fastener with a part number and quantity required. I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in a dealer that didn't know where to get that information.

In general, all parts catalog providers, OEM and aftermarket, do 'intend' to call out all parts, fasteners, required service items, and the like. However, creating these illustrations and BOMS is a manual process in the cases I've been involved with.

If you look at the front cowling blow up on the Yamaha site (https://bit.ly/srwila), you'll actually find the bolts are not even depicted. At CheapMotorcycleParts.com (https://bit.ly/ulb5pD), they use the same illustration. Neither even display the bolt.

At the Yamaha dealer, their parts catalog depicts the bolts, but does not call them out nor list them in the BOM. So, it's hardly a 'dealer' issue, just to be fair to them. Yamaha doesn't spec the part, so its not surprising the rest do not either. Also not surprising, it's not called out in the Yamaha shop manual.

:)

They are "dealer" available JT $2.35 each.. For some reason the majority of micro files don't seem to show 'em.. Again a stupid price for what they are.

Bust...Are you gonna make the bolts or washers? If its bolts, I'll take 10. If its washers, I'll take 20. Just ship'em with the rest of my stuff. And lemme know how much I owe ya.

If you look at the front cowling blow up on the Yamaha site (https://bit.ly/srwila), you'll actually find the bolts are not even depicted. At CheapMotorcycleParts.com (https://bit.ly/ulb5pD), they use the same illustration. Neither even display the bolt.

From the Yamaha fiche, section Cowling 2:

Cowling%252520fiche.gif

If you were looking for them on Cowling 1, which shows the upper fairings, then you're correct; they're not there. They don't fasten the upper fairings, though, they fasten the lowers, which is on Cowling 2. And the Cowling 1 fiche does show the bolts that retain the upper cowlings.

The dealership that used to be here wasn't worth a crap.. I suppose that's why it's no longer here. :unsure:

I'm going to make up a hundred or so washers Bud. I'll send 'em out with the rest of yer stuff tomorrow :)

Update; I managed to get 97 good ones from one gallon jug.. 3 were used up getting the size right. Anybody else wants a few of 'em, ping me

From the Yamaha fiche, section Cowling 2:

Cowling%252520fiche.gif

If you were looking for them on Cowling 1, which shows the upper fairings, then you're correct; they're not there. They don't fasten the upper fairings, though, they fasten the lowers, which is on Cowling 2. And the Cowling 1 fiche does show the bolts that retain the upper cowlings.
Good Job!

Seriously. The dealer and I had looked at Cowling 1. Not having taken it apart yet myself (had it ~5 months), it hadn't occurred to me to delve into the lower cowling.

Cheers!