Need Setup Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

Reaction score
A am a waiter for an '06 like many of you. I am buying my future bike from a dealer that has not sold many fjr's in the past. Since it seems that the members of this forum know more about the fjr than many dealers, I am asking for a few items of advice or pointers that I can recommend to my dealer before they do a setup on mine.

I know "loctite" and other various tricks for potential problems have been mentioned that a experienced dealer or owner would know, but since this is my first fjr, I am flying blind.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I can get started for you

1 loctite the locks on the saddlebags

2 torque the steering head bearings

3 make sure mirror are on tight- I think fjrchicks dealer mounted the mirrors but only finger tightened.

4 If they will, have them lube the drive shaft splines.

more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the third lock cyl is included-fits the Yami trunk should you get one. Make sure the little body color caps for the saddlebag holes are included. Check tire pressure. get an oil filter and some Yami 20-40 oil and crush washers for your first, important (and way early) post break-in oil change.

Yep on the mirrors. Told me they came from yamaha that way but another thread on here says that's not true. I am still missing a screw on one of mirrors and it vibrates so bad when riding that you really can't make out what your seeing in it. "Finger tightening" is being generous with what I received.

Double check your tire pressure too.

3 make sure mirror are on tight- I think fjrchicks dealer mounted the mirrors but only finger tightened.
I'll confirm that sometimes even when you tighten them down....it's not enough. It's not a dealer thing, but the first time you have out the ABCD panels I personally suggest replacing the provided nuts with nylocs.

I'm monitoring this thread and adding to My FAQ of Accumulated Details

Make sure the third lock cyl is included-fits the Yami trunk should you get one. Make sure the little body color caps for the saddlebag holes are included. Check tire pressure. get an oil filter and some Yami 20-40 oil and crush washers for your first, important (and way early) post break-in oil change.
Mirrors & Saddlebags are not shipped on the bikes. ;)

Check all the tupperware screws. Check any screw / bolt you can see for that matter.

I lost one tupperware screw within 2 days. I didn't check them all right away.

To be absolutely sure, and prepare for farkles to come, just disassemble the complete bike, and rejoice in the re-assembly. Pretend it's a TV show. :D

Yep on the mirrors. Told me they came from yamaha that way but another thread on here says that's not true. I am still missing a screw on one of mirrors and it vibrates so bad when riding that you really can't make out what your seeing in it. "Finger tightening" is being generous with what I received.
Double check your tire pressure too.
I received my FJR on the same day as FJRchic and from the same dealer- my mirrors are on tight and just fine (even though it was rallted for near 400 miles in the back of a terrible UHaul motorcycle trailor).

So, this just goes to show that there is great variabilty in the quality of the set up of these bikes- likely due to the tech that sets them up...

If I might be so bold as to add to this list - not specific to FJR, but to any new or used bike purchase - some of which will be redundant to others' comments:

1. Check Oil level on bike BEFORE leaving dealership - in fact - double check ALL fluids. I've had bikes more than a quart low.

2. Check tire pressure - with a known good guage (bring your own) before you leave the dealer.

3. Check battery levels if applicable.

4. If possible - strongly suggest that dealer trickle charge your battery BEFORE hooking everything else up and before you ride it home. If this can't be done - hook up a trickle charger as soon as you get home.

5. Take care leaving dealership - slippery tires - new bike - new brakes - new throttle sensitivity - hey - it is a different bike and you aren't used to it.

6. Take it to a local parking lot and practice stops - try to lock up rear - swerving, u-turns and tight turns. If you've taken MSF class and remember some of the drills - try them with your new wheels.

7. Wash the bike - I know it will be clean - but you need to run your fingers over the plastic - checking for imperfections which you should note on your notebook you are keeping for your new bike (to write down any problems for the first service). You are also checking for obvious leaks.

8. When drying bike - check for leaks again - and check ALL fasteners. Plastic and frame and anything you can get a wrench on. Apply locktite where you think applicable - but be VERY careful around plastic.

9. Wax the bike. you are again - running your hand over the bike checking for nicks, scrapes, loose stuff and imperfections.

10. Check the tires and fluids again the next morning. You could have a slow leaker in either case.

11. You might want to check hydraulic fluid or brake fluid for bubbles to see if properly bled.

12. Check brake rotors - you need to break these in in the first 200 miles - check to see that pads are seated correctly and that there is no fluid leak and no gouging of the disks.

13. silly but check the tire rotatation direction. I t wouldn't be the first bike to have tires mounted incorrectly.

14. before leaving dealership - check all lights, bulbs, signals, flashers, and it might be a good time to hit them up for free stuff - like some spare fuses, bulbs, t-shirts, quart of oil - - whatever you can talk them into. if there is a hard to find fuse or bulb - you should probably order it now. You can put this in your On-road fixit kit.

15. go through tool kit (minimal on FJR) and replace or add what tools are needed. FJR uses a allen key for plastic doesn't it? If so - you can either purchase one if not provided, but I would go to the hobby store and buy a "ball end" screw driver type. They also sell these for torx fittings. MUCH easier to use - don't need to be so straight up & down - though sometimes they can't be used in tight spaces. for that you should keep the allen wrench so you can use the short and long side.

16. Purchase good tire repair kit before you leave dealership unless you have spares from other bikes.

17. READ THE MANUAL - there is probably something in there that will come as a surprise.

18 ENJOY