need some advice or ideas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPaz

Target Fixationalist
Reaction score
ok, my wife and I rode to Santa Fe on Saturday. we went the back way, since she hates the freeway. the back way has some minor twisties and a lot of sweepers.

my wife is a very slight woman. 5'2" and a buck 10... she calls me the steel door, as i wear a gray riding jacket. she can NOT see around me.

when we got home, she told me it would be more comfortable if i could let her know some how what the road ahead was doing, so she wouldn't be surprised when i dropped into a sweeper...

i had an idea that she could use the GPS on her phone to get an idea of what the road ahead was like, but then she'd have to hold it the whole way....

so i need some ideas on how to let her watch the GPS without holding it. i thought of a small clear pouch that either her or i could wear. but other than that, i got nothing.

P.

Get her a couple of encyclopedias...

Actually, she sounds about the same size as my wife and she sees fine over me. You must be the big oaf. :)

Don: already thought of that...

Fairlaner: real or not, she'd still have to hold it... but thanks anyway.

Wheaton: she's 5'2", i'm 6'4"... i can simpathize with her. everything would be a surprise for her.

Let her pilot, and you ride. :rolleyes: Did you go through the Jemez, or up North 14? The Jemez was crap! :dribble: Salt and sand in every turn, it'll take all summer to wear that stuff out of the turns.

Wheaton: she's 5'2", i'm 6'4"... i can simpathize with her. everything would be a surprise for her.
Have you thought about an aftermarket seat to get her higher up and see over your shoulder?

I can sympathize with her as well.

Do you have a comm system? If you did you could give her the "heads up"...but that would get fatiguing and not practical on a long trip of twisties.

I think the seat is the only way to help her, having her own eyes on the road...not some gps.

Otherwise, you might think about a big change like getting a sidecar or getting her her own bike and ride together that way.

Seat seems like the least expensive route if that is doable...

Last edited by a moderator:
NMRR: North 14. there was a little water from melt off in Cedar Crest, but the rest was awesome!!

Wheaton: she couldn't see over my shoulder on my DL, and she was 3 inches higher, with the corbin...

the plan is to get her a spyder, when we finish paying off the kids car and the FJR.... she can't lift a Honda Rebel off the side stand...

Wheaton: she couldn't see over my shoulder on my DL, and she was 3 inches higher, with the corbin...
Sounds like the only reasonable option then is for her to ride up front with you on the back. Now whether she is sitting upright on the seat, or lying on her back on the gas tank is up to all y'all.

Done.

Get a cheap GPS.

Velcro it to the back of your helmet.
now see.... that's a good idea. if i get a refurb GPS for < $100, i wouln't worry about it as much as i would her Droid III.... :clapping:

P.

Sounds like the only reasonable option then is for her to ride up front with you on the back. Now whether she is sitting upright on the seat, or lying on her back on the gas tank is up to all y'all.

Done.
i'm likin the way you think....

You guys better get that spyder soon. No offense, but I can't imagine anybody looking at the back of your head all day and exclaiming about the day's ride. ;)

I don't think very many GPS' are accurate enough to show the moment you will enter a turn. It is just approximate. Consider a communications system and a raised seat. Raise her up enough to see above your shoulders.

I know a fellow with the new BMW K1600GTL. It took a long time to get this bike - pre-order, back order, etc. His wife couldn't wait to get it for in the showroom she noticed the rear seat was high enough so she over him. They get the bike and the next thing I hear is he has to get a tall windscreen (he looks though it) to get the wind blast off her. Watch out what you wish for.

We've talked about getting a small tablet and duct taping it to the back of my helmet. She could watch movies, read a book, play solitare.

Hmmm. Hook it to a gopro on my helmet and then she'd have a great view. Course then she'd know when I'm scoping out the local talent. OK, gopro goes on the bike.

I don't think very many GPS' are accurate enough to show the moment you will enter a turn. It is just approximate. Consider a communications system and a raised seat. Raise her up enough to see above your shoulders.
she just needs to know there is a turn coming up. we have comm units, but that would get old in a hurry... "left turn" "hard right" "hard left".... about 2 miles of that and i'd be done...

P.

BigPaz,

You two are shaped a lot like we are. My wife is 4'12" and I'm 6'2".

No, she can't see over my head, or straight ahead at all, unless she cocks her head to one side of mine. In the corners that is exactly what I want her to do. I try to encourage her to look over my shoulder on the inside of the corner. But sometimes, if I'm hooning it up in the mountains, I'll be leaned way over and kissing the mirror on the inside anyway, which gives her a pretty good look ahead.

On the straight and boring, she just has to stay entertained looking off and enjoying the views to the sides. I try to keep her preoccupied by her taking all of the photos of our trips. She is a true pillion paparazzi!!

FWIW, Paz is a big fucker...So unless his SO sits on a couple big phone books, she'll never see over.

Honestly, I would go with a cheap waterproof GPS. Sew (or have sewn) the fuzzy side of the Velcro to the back of your jacket and the hook side to the GPS. Put the GPS on at will.

Same way my tactical vests are done with the patches on the back. How you gonna plug it in though?? Something to think about. You have a back rest on your bike? I don't remember.