Need some highway peg advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semongtaulie

Reaction score
I bought a set of MCL highway pegs off of Fleabay. The brackets, pictured below, were already modified with the addition of Kurakyn pegs and pivot thing. I know this probably sounds crazy, but I don't like the chrome pegs and would rather have the original Yamaha pegs that comes with the MCL kit.

I thought about removing the rubber grips and either beadblasting and/or painting the chrome.

To the people that have done this mod, is there really that big of an improvement with the Kurakyns. I could probably live with them if they were a lot better than stock and weren't chrome but I may try to work out a trade with someone who has the regular Yammie pegs.

What says the experts?

Thanks for any advice!

SNV10270.jpg

I bought a set of MCL highway pegs off of Fleabay. The brackets, pictured below, were already modified with the addition of Kurakyn pegs and pivot thing. I know this probably sounds crazy, but I don't like the chrome pegs and would rather have the original Yamaha pegs that comes with the MCL kit.

I thought about removing the rubber grips and either beadblasting and/or painting the chrome.

To the people that have done this mod, is there really that big of an improvement with the Kurakyns. I could probably live with them if they were a lot better than stock and weren't chrome but I may try to work out a trade with someone who has the regular Yammie pegs.

What says the experts?

Thanks for any advice!

SNV10270.jpg
I'll trade. I had been thinking of some sort of offset anyway. PM/E-mail me ~Harvey

If you ride hard...........be warned. They will drag even when folded up. There is no forgiveness when they touch down.
No they won't. At least mine don't.
If you've ever followed Scott, you'll know there are only 3 places in North America where his pegs won't touch down.... Florida, Kansas and Saskatchewan.

"No they won't. At least mine don't. "

Mine must be mounted lower than yours ;)

I was simply passing on a little word of advice. I'm stating that these may not work for everyone. If you have never touched down your stock pegs then worry not, if your peg feelers are completely gone then I suggest you avoid using these.

Canadian FJR

I really appreciate the info. I got them mounted this morning and they don't look too bad. I've never scraped my regular pegs so I may be alright as long as I remember to flip them up in the twisties. I can see where the extensions afford you a little more room so you're not banging you shins on the tupperware.

I had the MCL pegs on my bike for a while. The Yamaha passenger pegs he supplied them with worked very well. However, I was dragging the BASE on the right side, which led to bent bolts and a gasket leak. I took them off and sold them. Haven't really missed them for the 3 years they have been gone.

I'm pretty sure those are Wild Bill (from Terry) plates and not MCL.

They are sold with or without pegs for the purchaser to put on those what they wish

doesn't make much diff though...my Wild Bill's came with extra long, folding pegs of lightweight metal, but have worked great for years. They do scrape when I sloppily get scared and snap closed the throttle in the middle of a turn, but they touch, fold up, and I go on. But I'm only a medium fast rider at best.

I like my setup as the pivot for the pegs are right close to the plate which seems best.

Hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate everyones input on this topic. I took them out and did a test ride this afternoon. They are very comfortable, still worried about them catching in a curve. Of course if I'm going to ride the Dragon I'll have them folded up. My concern is when I'm trucking along on a fairly straight road and then boom, an unexpected sharp curve surprises me. I'm not usually an agressive corner taker, but sometimes an Oh Crap! moment happens. Thanks again!

I would like to buy just the plates and mounting hadware from either Wild Bill or MCL but can't find that option on the internet. Does WB have a website? Got the pegs and extenders all ligned up already.