Need Source For "Y" Connector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCML

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reaction score
I need a "Y" connector/splitter with the following specs:

Mono - all three connectors

3.5mm phono plugs

2 Male to 1 Female

There are lots of stereo to mono splitters out there and I even found a splitter that met the criteria except that it was 2F /1M but, so far, nothing that meets the spec's out of the box. If I have to, I will wire one up myself or add snap on connectors to flip/flop the m/f attributes but "cleaner" installs are usually less prone to trouble. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it sounds like you're trying to do (split a single mono male input into two other mono male outputs), the stereo->2mono splitter should work fine.

On a stereo plug, Tip is ground, Ring and Sleeve carry the L and R signals. If you stick a mono plug into the input (Tip ground, Sleeve signal), the contact that would otherwise touch the (non-existant) ring now just touches the sleeve like the normal sleeve contact - wah-la: a mono splitter.

The situation is further "hybridized" by the fact that the Starcom noise supression cable has a mono plug where it goes into the Garmin but a stereo plug where it goes into the intercom. Probably so that both the left and right channels can be fed from the mono source.

I never could find a 1/8" mono phone plug "Y" and have ended up purchasing a 1/4 inch "Y" (mono F/M/M) and am converting each tip to 1/8" (3.5mm) with an adapter (Hosa components, purchased through Sweetwater - good sources, both, if anyone is looking for these types of items). $11 versus cost of a second ground loop supression cable ($25 - $45) plus the cost of the "Y" input at the Starcom.