Need Suggestions ASAP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
First off I'm not stranded, bike in garage.

Caught nail in tire, now trying to decide what to do:

1. None of the local dealers will patch/plug it

2. None of the local dealers will mount a tire not purchased from them

3. None of the local dealers have the avons in stock

4. ALL of the local dealers say it will take 5 days to get the avons @175.00

I have a choice of the Michelin pilot sports or dunlop 220's if I want the bike on the road today.

I have to remove the wheel (rear) if I want the bike on the road today b/c they are to busy to mount/unmount on bike today.

I haven't removed the wheel on a FJR before.. how difficult is it? special tools needed ?

I really wish I could order the tires from fjrgoodies but then no-one will mount them... this sucks.

What should I do?

James

Ask the local dealers who else does tire changing. Also, ask local riders where they get their tires changed.

Taking the wheel off...follow WC's advice on the FJR Tech forum.

:D

You need a 27 mm socket. That's the uncommon tool. I bought one at Sears.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=19

That's a link to Warchild's maintenance pages for rear wheel removal.

Put the bike up on a 1/2+ inch board on the center stand. Take off the 27mm axle nut on the left, remove the pinch bolt on the right. Loosen the hex nut at the top of the brake caliper arm, and swing the caliper down out of the way. Support the wheel and tire with your foot or hands and knock out the axle. Don't loose the spacer washer, and make sure it goes back in at the end. Pull the ABS mechanism off and flip it over the top of the swingarm and let it hang out of the way. Pull the wheel to the right away from the "pumpkin", and phenagle the wheel out of there. Just that easy. Takes about 15 minutes.

Where you located? Maybe another forum member can help. I have an AVON tire sitting here, but it's in Indiana. I know another member who has a couple in his garage in Missouri. I agree with what Skooter says below. The tires they have will not last very long. I think I'd keep looking. Or plug it yourself and ride it for a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
For cryin out loud, what kind of dealer hell do you live in?

I am no expert, but with the Pilot Sports, you are going to get extremely limited mileage. Plus, they are designed for lite sportbikes. On a bike as heavy as the fjr, perhaps therre could be negative consequences? The Pilot Roads are are an excellent option for the fjr, but since you don't mention them I assume they are not available. I would go with the Dunlops. They too, will have less life then the Avons or Pilot Roads, but should be better than the Pilot Sports.

Removing the rear wheel is relatively easy if you have some of the correct basic tools. And obviously you have not seen Warchild's most excellent website, FJRTech.com.

Click HERE for the rear wheel removal how-to, and HERE #2 for the how-to for an ABS rear wheel.

And for next time, I would keep looking for a better dealer/shop that provides better service. Or, like many of us, you could learn to change your own tires.

Good luck!

I have a choice of the Michelin pilot sports or dunlop 220's if I want the bike on the road today.
If that's truly your only two options and you must get the bike on the road today, go with the Dunlop D220s. These are excellent tires for the FJR, but they do suffer from an abbreviated rear treadlife.

Though no where near as abbreviated as the Pilot Powers would be... those are high-end sportbike tires; very VERY sticky, but at the price of treadlife. I wouldn't recommend them for the FJR.

Or......use the sticky worm method to temporarily plug your tire while you wait for your tire of choice to arrive, and/or find a better shop.

Just a thought, and the option I would probably do in your situation.

Or......use the sticky worm method to temporarily plug your tire while you wait for your tire of choice to arrive, and/or find a better shop.
Just a thought, and the option I would probably do in your situation.
+1

You need a 27 mm socket. That's the uncommon tool. I bought one at Sears.
https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=19

That's a link to Warchild's maintenance pages for rear wheel removal.

Put the bike up on a 1/2+ inch board on the center stand. Take off the 27mm axle nut on the left, remove the pinch bolt on the right. Loosen the hex nut at the top of the brake caliper arm, and swing the caliper down out of the way. Support the wheel and tire with your foot or hands and knock out the axle. Don't loose the spacer washer, and make sure it goes back in at the end. Pull the ABS mechanism off and flip it over the top of the swingarm and let it hang out of the way. Pull the wheel to the right away from the "pumpkin", and phenagle the wheel out of there. Just that easy. Takes about 15 minutes.

Where you located? Maybe another forum member can help. I have an AVON tire sitting here, but it's in Indiana. I know another member who has a couple in his garage in Missouri. I agree with what Skooter says below. The tires they have will not last very long. I think I'd keep looking. Or plug it yourself and ride it for a week or so.
I am located in Montgomery Alabama. I have read the Tire changing thread at fjrtech.com and am 100% confident I can perform it. After all I build my own race motor for my import race car.

I might be wrong with regard to which michelin tire they had.. I do remember the sales person stating that I should get 7-8k on it though.

I'm guessing that it's best to go with the michelin tire for now, assuming it's the sport-touring tire that lasts 8k. Then gear up to be able to unmount/mount/balance my own tires in the future. Would everone agree?

James

pics

tire2_165.jpg

tire1_211.jpg

I just verified that the michelin is a pilot ROAD, So I assume it's a good tire for the fjr.. I do like to lean around the corners a good amount.

Are they a pretty sticky tire?

James

I just verified that the michelin is a pilot ROAD, So I assume it's a good tire for the fjr.. I do like to lean around the corners a good amount.
Are they a pretty sticky tire?

James
from what I have heard: yes, they are sticky enough

I use an excellent mechanic in Woodstock, NY to change my tires. Used to be a Yamaha dealer but now sells boats and other stuff. Won't help you though.

Under your circumstances I would patch the tire and use it up. In the mean time, order some Avons and whatever you need to change it yourself.

Hey Tsitalon1... bummer about the nail... happened to me also. I used the gooey string and rubber cement plug, and a small foot pump for air.

I live in Birmingham and got the same "gotta buy the tire from us" bullshit from dealers here. BUT... do you know where 29Dreams motorcycle resort is in Vandiver? There's a small shop on the premises and a mechanic that will mount/balance tires you bring him. His name is Roger, and he charged $25 per tire IIRC... nice guy. If you can wait, get the Avon Azaro ST's from fjrgoodies or swmoto... awesome tires. Let me know if you're interested and need directions. My weekends are tied up for the next 8 weeks or so, but I may be able to meet you out there on a Friday afternoon (I get off at 11:00 on Fridays)... (no comments rad or twn).

what bullshit i would not give the dealers you typed about a dime of my money . here is my deal screw in rear tire no dealers will fix it . went to my local car tire repair guy he pluged it .with the comment do you want to kill your self dont go over 60 m.p.h. .call my local guy to see the price of a tire he only had a dunlop with a crazy ass price of $195.00 plus $50.00 to mount it . i dont mind a business bringing in a few bucks but to rip me off screw them . found a guy in mo. for $221.00 shiped to new york pilot roads and my local guy will mount & balance them for $100.00 bucks . would of went with fjrgoddies but they are to far from n.y. and i need the tires a.s.a.p.