Nelson-Rigg vs Dowco covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardsNbikes

Reaction score
Basically, I need some covers because my bikes cannot be in the garage. I'm debating between the Nelson-Rigg Falcon Defender 2000 and the Dowco ELITE Guardian Weatherall (why the freaking long product names?). They will not be travelling with me on trips--just used for weather protection when the bikes are parked at home.

Anyone have observations, good or bad, between these two? Frankly, from the pics and descriptions they pretty much look the same. If I go for the Nelson-Rigg, I'll probably just go to NewEnough to get a fair price and not worry about searching for a good/best price. TIA.

i have the nelson rigg. it's a very tight fit. since adding the tall windsheild it's really tough to get it on over the side bags. it's also very bulky.

derek

I have the Nelson Rigg in an XXL size. It's almost loose over my saddlebags, trunk, Rifle extra tall windshield & even the extended mirrors.

I just used it to trailer my bike to the dealer over very sloppy snow covered roads with no problem.

dobias <_<

In case you change your mind about traveling without a cover this one packs down real small and would still be good for home use.

clicky

So what's in your garage that's more important than your feejer? :blink:

I have a dowco guardian heavy cover that I have only taken out of the bag twice. Paid over 100.00 for it a couple years ago. Size x/large touring/full dress. Fits FJR with bags all the way to the ground. #G-125 Item #50004-02A. I would like to sell it cheap as I do not use it at all. It is brand new. If you are looking for a lighter weight one they are cheaper. Would ask about 30.00$$.. SOLD

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the nelson rigg. it's a very tight fit. since adding the tall windsheild it's really tough to get it on over the side bags. it's also very bulky.
Derek...what size N-R cover do you have?

The neatest but expensive stretch cover is the Geza. Small roll and stretches over the fairing and side bags with the Givi topcase. Can't remember all the details but go to their web site and get the skinny. About $160. I really like mine for traveling and garage cover.

I have the NR in XL... snug fit with side cases, oem screen, no trunk. My FJR is also an outside pet. I've had the cover 1 1/2 years now and my only complaint is that the semi-rigid vent hoods have cracked over the 2 winters, but that's only because I ball it up and stuff it in one of the side cases so I can cover it at work. I also ride in if it's below freezing... so that doesn't help. If I were more careful, I could probably fold it up around the vent hoods and prevent their cracking. It's parked outside at work... I can go double-check the size if you need me to.