Netbooks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudewado

Reaction score
GPS Gurus,

I am thinking about getting a netbook to take on long rides. Mainly to use for checking weather, uploading pictures, and checking routes.

I see they make GPS modules that plug into a USB port.

Anyone tried this, or know anything about them?

I have never owned or operated a GPS. I don't think I need a turn-by-turn, or routing.

I imagine using it in strange cities for directions and finding motels, restaurants, etc.

TIA,

John

The main issues are physically placing a laptop on your tank or tankbag and inputs like keyboard or mouse.....while riding. It's a PITA and lprobably very dangerous. I've only seen it done successfully once or maybe twice and involved a tablet instead of a PC.

Most realize a GPS has a bunch of nice features and use while riding and have a laptop or netbook to use while not riding on a trip.

Then there's surviveability and display technology - the netbook just isn't designed to work in high vibration environments and the display will be unreadable in bright sunlight.

That makes sense. I certainly wouldn't try using a netbook while riding.

I have resisted getting a GPS because I am leery of being distracted while riding, even though I

know many successfully use them without a problem.

John, you should PM Brodie.

He'd mounted his iPad in his tankbag window, and was using it as a GPS/map guide...thing....

I think he was even working on a cooling system for it.

(How's the work situation going?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put a zumo on mine. Seruosly looked at doing it other ways with cheaper units but in the end was going to lose some features of the zumo and only save a few $$$ ... not worth all the extra effort IMO ...

If all you want GPS for is to find out where you are exactly, and what's nearby, just get a GPS-enabled smartphone with a good data plan and run Google Maps Mobile. If you're gonna be in the boonies where the data network is gonna be iffy, install a mapping app (there are several) on the phone so you can still use the GPS.

That's where I came from: checking the phone GPS at stops, make sure I was still near where I wanted to be and headed where I wanted to go. I'd route on the PC and print the maps for the tank bag window, check myself when stopped with the phone.

Saying all that, I would never in a million years go back to that after having a real GPS on the bike, unless the real GPS on the bike failed.

Thanks for all of the replies. Basically just thinking out loud.

I do want internet access on the road; the GPS add-on for a computer was just something I ran across while researching.

HP makes a netbook with some kind of GPS built in, but their website resisted all efforts to find out more about it. :glare:

Still employed until 10/31 :angry: ; then severance pay and unemployment until ~07/11. :clapping:

Anyone need a Plant Journeyman Electrician (Industrial Maintenance Electrician) ? :D

If all you want GPS for is to find out where you are exactly, and what's nearby, just get a GPS-enabled smartphone with a good data plan and run Google Maps Mobile. If you're gonna be in the boonies where the data network is gonna be iffy, install a mapping app (there are several) on the phone so you can still use the GPS.
That's where I came from: checking the phone GPS at stops, make sure I was still near where I wanted to be and headed where I wanted to go. I'd route on the PC and print the maps for the tank bag window, check myself when stopped with the phone.

Saying all that, I would never in a million years go back to that after having a real GPS on the bike, unless the real GPS on the bike failed.

That's exactly how I envision using it. I just don't want to sign up for another "$plan$".

John, you should PM Brodie.He'd mounted his iPad in his tankbag window, and was using it as a GPS/map guide...thing....

I think he was even working on a cooling system for it.

FJRGuy had an iPad in the window of the tankbag on our last jaunt across the border for parts. He may chime in, but in any case he found that the angle on the top of the bag made it very hard to see, it overheated and shut itself down, and the temperature changes as we went through the mountains and in and out of rain caused condensation inside the tankbag window that apparently electronical things like iPads find distressing.

Distraction from the GPS is certainly a possibility. I know of one person who got ass-ended because the nimrod on the bike behind was fiddling with the GPS instead of watching where he was going and ran into them. I have my StreetPilot 2820 mounted on the steering stem where I can see it if I need to, but it isn't constantly sitting close to eye level encouraging me to look at it a lot. The other danger is trying to do searches or route changes on the fly, which is possible but best left for sometime when you're on a long, straight stretch of road with no traffic around.

I agree with the others that even an el cheapo GPS is probably a better bet than a netbook/iPad/whatever. Good luck!

Griff

I use an Acer Aspire One on trips. Small packs well and I use it for uploading pics and doing trip routing on Mapsource. As long as I have Cell phone signal I can do Dial Up Networking and have internet anywhere even without WiFi.

I've never felt the need to mount it to the bike and use it in place of any of the things I've got on the bike now.

We carry a Netbook on the bike but I use a GPS when under way. I mounted my GPS up in my line of sight to reduce distraction because my eyes are never completely off the road. I'm not much of a button fiddler when underway, if something needs doing I try to pull off the road. Garmin authorized refurb 2730 from FleaBay for ~$150.

GPS.jpg

John,

I was in our new Costco yesterday and they have two good deals on cheap but effective GPS units. I run a 265WT on the bike effectively on a Ramball mount. The 265WT is going for $150 and a fancier unit for $200. The ramball setup with cradle and mount runs about $50.

I also carry an HP dv-3 full-featured laptop with 11 inch screen I use at home and on the road. A bit more than a year ago I got it at the Roseburg Staples for $600.

Last week I was dual-sporting on the Lost Coast of California for four days and I left the computer home -- I felt totally disconnected with no cell or computer service. Nice but not when everybody wanted weather updates. I love having Kindle Books on the PC for reading on the road at night too.

Good luck with the job. I'll check at the VA and see if they need somebody when you are ready to jump jobs.

If you want touch screen capabilities like a GPS, the Toughbooks are the only ones I know of that you can open the top and swing it around for use. Also rugged for M/C use. Probably a cool way to mount it on the tank bag if you worked at it a while. I considered one for a while but the cost is prohibitive.

Toughbook