Netbooks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, assuming one did want to carry a small computer (tablet, netbook, etc.) for email, route management, checking the news and weather, etc. while out on the road, (not for use while actually underway on the bike) what is recommended and from where?

I have a Blackberry smart phone and IMO it is a PITA to do just about anything with it except make phone calls and send text messages. Even getting a weather forecast is a relatively big ordeal. I can see wanting to have a small computer with an aircard and wi-fi for use in the motels at night.

I see a bunch of refurb Asus units on Buy.com, for as low as $200, but I think I remember that these are lowly regarded. I should do my own due diligence and search all of the various computer feedback web sites, but most customer reviews are just a load of useless crap.

We have roughly 10k miles on our ~$250 e Machine netbook. The model we are using is discontinued and replaced by the eM350-2074 10.1" Netbook. We have used several different products from e Machine who makes cheap (as opposed to inexpensive) products, but non have failed us, unlike several Big Brand computers and laptops. Our Netbook as seen side case and top case travels including seriously bad dirt roads in Canada and it seems unfazed. We do use our Mighty Mouse with it because of all the foul words and screaming noises I make when trying to use the built-in scroll pad. We have never had a session where we pooped the batteries, it connects everywhere and does the deed with no drama. So far the 160 gig hard drive has swallowed all our pictures and the 1.66 gHz CPU does an acceptable job running GPS software.

So, assuming one did want to carry a small computer (tablet, netbook, etc.) for email, route management, checking the news and weather, etc. while out on the road, (not for use while actually underway on the bike) what is recommended and from where?
I have a Blackberry smart phone and IMO it is a PITA to do just about anything with it except make phone calls and send text messages. Even getting a weather forecast is a relatively big ordeal. I can see wanting to have a small computer with an aircard and wi-fi for use in the motels at night.

I see a bunch of refurb Asus units on Buy.com, for as low as $200, but I think I remember that these are lowly regarded. I should do my own due diligence and search all of the various computer feedback web sites, but most customer reviews are just a load of useless crap.
Any chance of changing phones? I've had an iPhone and currently have a Droid and they work fantastic for what you are wanting... it's also much more convenient than getting out the laptop, firing it up, inserting the aircard, connecting, .... (you get the picture)

As far as a little computer... any $200 computer is going to be a 'throw away'. Most issues happen with the power cord connection on the device... they will 'break off' inside the device and can't be repaired... (for a reasonable price).

Anyway, my 2cents...

Interesting. I had the impression that eMachines were on the same low qual shelf as Compaq, and Asus. I'll have to give them a closer look.

No, can't change phones. It's owned (and paid for) by the Co. I work for. The won't buy a Droid and I don't drink the apple kool-aid. Bought an iPod once. What a rip-off.

Yes, $200 is a throw away item. Exactly the point. That's pretty much what I'd want to be carrying around on my bike. Certainly not some mega expensive unit that would undoubtedly get wet or fall off a cliff some day and I'd be out all that money. I already have a full featured laptop (another "perk" at work), but it is too big and too expensive to be lugging around on a bike, IMO.

I did say

...e Machine who makes cheap (as opposed to inexpensive) products, but non have failed us,...
Yes, they have earned a reputation as a POS, but we have been several times lucky.

OK, just spent the last bit perusing some of the Netbooks features on the web.

One key feature I would want, a must have really, is a PCMCIA slot. It just so happens that I have an aircard (also paid for by my employer) that I could just slip in the new PC and I'd be golden when in areas with no free wi-fi. Like almost all the mom and pop motels across the country. Certainly do not want to have to open another

So is this true? Netbooks never come with PC card ports? That blows.

I guess I could do a usb dongle adaptor to PCMCIA.

Or maybe set-up my smart phone for tethering?

Ah geeze... this is getting complicated.

I have an Acer Aspire One with a 10.1" that goes pretty much everywhere for both work and pleasure. It was in the mid $200 range and instead of buying expensive software, I run https://www.openoffice.org and Paint.net. It actually has enough power to create and run the OpenOffice version of Powerpoint pretty well, depending on the number and size of photos. The size is perfect for airplane tray tables and my military backpack, yet the keyboard is still 95% full size. Been reliable as a stone and the 6-cell battery goes easily 6+ hours. Since nearly all the McDonald's restaurants have Wi-Fi, connecting to the web on the road is a breeze. I love the thing and it's almost disposable in price. If I get a virus, I'll just reformat it because the software is a free download. While poking on it, I just plug headphones in and listen to the music library I've got in it.

If you want an aircard, I learned that Verizon will try to sell you theirs as part of a 2 year package. But if you buy your own card off EBay, they will give you service on a month by month basis that you can cancel any time.

Having played with a iPad for a while, that's where the future is. I'm looking forward to seeing the Droid version come out.

...One key feature I would want, a must have really, is a PCMCIA slot...So is this true? Netbooks never come with PC card ports? That blows...I guess I could do a usb dongle adaptor to PCMCIA...
Tis true, about slots. We do USB dongle to PCMCIA and it works acceptably for external drives. And, our eMachine is considered expendable at the price. If we bought a more expensive machine we would have been afraid to bring it with us, but that is what we got it for -- FJR Fun.

I want under the impression that ASUS was a bad brand. I own one of their gaming laptops and really like it. Now ACER on the other hand I swore I would never own one of their computers but came across one of their netbooks and really like it knock on wood.

I carry a 10" Asus with 8-9 hr. batteries in my tank bag. Its been to AK last summer and out west this summer. Works great. I don't want an expensive cell phone contract, so we use pay by the min. I may go a month without using a cell phone. Also use a cheap GPS since my Zumo died.

OK, I've got the PCMCIA hiccup figured out.

I canceled my Aircard contract with Sprint. Their coverage sucks anyway, and my company was paying $45 a month for it (unlimited data). Switched over and added tethering (done via USB cable) to my Verizon Blackberry unlimited data account. Now' I'll only need to carry a netbook, cell phone and a generic USB cable (also useful for picture transfer from the digital camera).

It just got easier (and cheaper). What a productive day... :rolleyes:

I went with the Acer Aspire One. 6+ months of usage, took it to SFO and on a few camping trips. May not be the best, but for $260 at Walmart I'm really pleased with it.

Just ordered a eMachines EM250-1162 Netbook, Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz, 1GB, 250GB, 10.1-inch LED-Backlit widescreen , Microsoft Windows 7 Starter 32-bit- Refurbished from Buy.com. $209. shipped.

I like the idea of windows 7. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it so here is my cheap opportunity. Also like the extra disk size and I have been pretty lucky with refurbs in the past. Seems once they've broken and been fixed they last pretty well.

I want it mostly for the trip to EOM NAFO. After that every thing is gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, come to find out, I should maybe not have been so excited about jumping on the W7 bandwagon. The version of Windows 7 that you get on (many) netbooks is called "Starter". It should better be relabeled as "crippled" as that seems to be the case. I wish I'd got one running XP. Now it'd be a PITA to get a real OS on this thing.

Win7 Starter is a POS.

I regret that I didn't say that we specifically sought out an eMachine Netbook with XP service pack 3 and never, never, never, ever the POS W7.

Well, it looks like after diddling with it for about 8 hours that the Netbook I bought is going to work out after all.

Yes, Win7 Starter is still somewhat defeatured, but mostly in some unimportant ways. Liek you can't put ytour own wallpaper on it. Stuff like that, which doesn't matter one bit to me. If I really wanted that stuff I could upgrade to a full version of Win7 Home Basic for a paltry $100 (half of what I paid for the netbook? I don't think so)

My biggest concern was that the Win7 network adapters were not playing nicely with my older boxes, all running XP.

Google to the rescue: Fixing Win 7 Networking

Now that I have turned off all the new, spiffy network "features" that I don't want or need, it is talking to my other stuff like a champ. Still working through getting all the important road programs, like Mapsucks, loaded up.

BTW - This might help anyone trying to integrate a Vista or Win7 machine in a network with a bunch of XP boxes.