New Alternate To Mag Knight & Tankslapper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLR8

Friday Driver
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this and don't know if it's been posted yet. If this stuff says what it claims it would be perfect. Got a Mag Knight now but will try some on my FZ1

Motorcycle Grip Skins

Considering that after 11k miles I have some wear spots on the sides of the tank, these are probably a good investment...too late for me :-(

My MagKnight saved a big 'ole scratch on the back of my tank on my recent 2,400 mile trip. Probably from leaning into the tank and grazing it with a zipper on my 'Stitch. Any cover is better than none, but I wonder about the long term fade of the paint in the sun versus the covered sections. Can't have the best of both worlds unless you have a Bagster, I guess.

Had a leather tank bra on my concourse rode it for four years no fade marks.

When I got my 05 FJR bought a mag knight it is an awesome item to add no rub marks or scratches . Went on a 4k trip no marks stayed in place worked as designed.

A word of caution ask your self this question, what causes glue to fail? One answer is "heat " the skin is heald on by glue, you decide.

If it was me I would take the mag- knight tank bra and the part for the gas cap area I have both ......................... ;) weekend rider

I had the Tank Slapper kit and thought it a complete waste of time and money. After one year the only pieces that stayed on were the 3M ones and the non-3m one on the top of the tank (the rest fell off one by one in rain storms).

When the tankside pieces went I replace them with Gripsters.

Please note the Gripster is not competition for the mag knight/tankslapper kits.

They are intended primaryly to increase friction at the contact points between your legs and the bike. They are not meant to keep the bike looking good and be invisible. I purchased the "ice" ones and they are very visible on the bike especially after my Aerostich leg zippers scratched them up a bit.

That said, if you've purchased an aftermarket leather seat, the Gripster will keep your reproductive parts safe and make riding more comfortable in general. But the real benefit is with "spirited" riding: if you want to slide around, relax the legs and move all you want. If you want to stay in one place, lightly grip the tank and friction will do the rest. It rocks.

Once you try them you won't go back. For $39.95 you'll get two custom-cut pieces, or for $34.95 you'll get two large sheets you can cut to fit.

Testing was done over 9 months with a 2005 FJR1300, Rick Mayer leather seat, and Aerostitch 1pc roadcrafter on various roads incl Road America. Gripster Ice "General Sheet" was used, cut using TankSlapper backing piece.

The Gripster High Fusion General sheets are not available yet but will be soon - maybe this week (per Gripster).

The Ice product is intended for bikes with graphics you want to show through. The HighFusion and Snake wear much better (per Gripster).

Ordered a 'general sheet' of ice to see if it will make a good lower center tank protector. Most concerned about the belt buckle area and where the tank meets the seat. Looks like this will be good stuff for that. If not totally invisible, I don't care. Better than scratches!

A couple of my Tankslapper pieces have found new homes along the highway, but so far the side tank pieces staying put. Might swap those out with the 'Skins if they go bye-bye.

Thanks for the link and reports. :agent:

Please note the Gripster is not competition for the mag knight/tankslapper kits.
I understand what they are for but they also look like they would offer some protection.

-r