new battery for '04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Any reason not to just go get a Sears Die Hard? Don't know how old the current one is and don't want to take chances on it this summer.

Is there some special reason I should mail order a battery?

The Flying Dutchman

my 04s battery went away last year and when i stoped at the interstate batt warehouse All they had was the 145.00 yushuda "not spelled right" and was told that there was not other mach for that battery so get one while you dont need it!

Last edited by a moderator:
A common replacement battery for the FJR is a WestCo 12V14B-4 which can be found for <$60 if you shop around. I think a couple of vendors listed in the Forum Vendor section carry the WestCo battery. The suffix B-4 is critical, indicating the correct size for a FJR.

Any reason not to just go get a Sears Die Hard?
Well, I doubt if they carry the correct size. And if they do, what is the price? If they do carry the correct size, and price is acceptable there is no reason not to try it other than you will be dealing with a battery that is unknown.

Proven performance. Get the WestCo from Sportbikeeffects and you know you will be getting a battery that fits and is reasonably priced.

Any reason not to just go get a Sears Die Hard?
Well, I doubt if they carry the correct size. And if they do, what is the price? If they do carry the correct size, and price is acceptable there is no reason not to try it other than you will be dealing with a battery that is unknown.

Proven performance. Get the WestCo from Sportbikeeffects and you know you will be getting a battery that fits and is reasonably priced.

Sportbike effects it is! He did an awesome job with getting me set up with the Starcom

see now i wish i did not wait till i needed it in a hurry or i could have gotten a much better deal from this board!!

my bad

I'm about to order a WestCo from Jeff but a buddy of mine swears by DieHards in his Harleys, he has been using them for decades in his HDs, Buells and Indians and loves them.

My '04 stock battery gave up the ghost almost 4 years to the day, even after battery tending loving care. I'm sure mileage varies.

Like others suggested, I ordered the WestCo battery (12V14B-4) from Jeff at Bike Effects (see preferred vendor section). $66 shipped with the forum discount. Be aware, it ships only via UPS ground, so don't count on a super quick turn. Got mine in about 8 days allowing for holidays and weekends.

Jeff was helpful in checking my order when it turned out the wife unit had received it without letting me know... :blink:

He's got some other great stuff: I scored the radar detector mount (schweet) and the Blue Sea fuse block while on his website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone try this Battery> Scorpion YT14B-4 210 CCA Sounds good reading about it. From Batterystuff.com

Uncaged