New Bill Mayer Saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetCat

Reaction score
Over the past few years that I have been reading this site, I have read a few guys that I respect say that they really like Bill Mayer saddles. I decided that I was going to do a tour through California for my Spring Vacation and decided to do a ride-in. I was amazed at how easy it was to setup an appointment.

Little background...

I have a 06 with 26,000 miles and do 2 4000-6000 miles trips a year (Spring and Fall). I am 5'6" with a 29' inseam and have been riding with a Corbin since I bought the bike. I bought the Corbin because I thought it would help with my inseam issues and I am not sure that it helped that much. I found the seat fairly comfortable for everything but long riding days. I have become used to only putting one foot down so I thought I would try a more LD saddle. My hope is that I could reduce the fatigue on my long days and maybe increase my distance.

Ride-in experience.

I found Ojai Ca a very nice town and the people at BMS were very friendly and helpful. I guess I have an average butt because I was instantly comfortable with the seat. They just kept bringing out the seat and asking me to sit. They would then ask questions about comfort and it just always felt great. The other 2 riders that were there had quite a few adjustments to fit them but they seemed happy in the end.

Once they had the seat done they let me go for a ride and the difference was remarkable. It is just amazing how the wider seat makes the ride so much more comfortable. I rode to California on my stock seat so I was really ready for a new one. I bought a leather solo seat from BMS since I only ride solo and use a corbin smuggler.

Break-in

Since I was on a 2 week 5,800 mile trip, I was able to get the seat broken in before I returned home. I have been really happy with it. It did take a little while to get used to sliding forward to the narrow part before putting my foot down but I don't even notice that I am doing anything different now. If you are inseam challanged like me you might want to wait until you are really comfortable with the FJR before you make this move though.

My farkles Rating

Zumo ***** (the center of my entertainment XM, phone, MP3)

Tire Watch ** (retired .. was a nice product but everyone that changed my tires broke it.

MCcruise ***** (love it .. perfect. Just make sure you remove the magnets before people work on the bike.

Corbin Smuggler **** (Like having magazines and reading material so accessible. Wish it wasn't body colored

Starcom **** (Like everything but phone through the Zumo. It might be my cell phone though.

Aerost Roadcrafter **** (My trip riding gear. Like that I don't have to put on liners when it rains

Rev'it Air/Rotor **** (My around town/Texas hill county gear. Like that it is cool

V1 ***** (love arrows. Don't use it around town so GPS is useless.

Power Commander ****

Givi Topcase **** (nice to have my laptop along

G2 Tamer Tube **** (great to smooth out the throttle

Schuberth S1 **** (love the quiet and the integrated sunglasses

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you got the leather seat too. Good choice! I'm very happy with my BMS. Did you meet old man Bill?