New Boots!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thosse look justh phabulussssssss.

edit:....fjrforum....where men talk about shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. This now allows me to ask a boot question. Aside form these, what do some of you gun-boat footed folks use for boots?

Reason I ask is that I wear a 12-13 boot and the current one's I have were great with my Vmax, but are not working out well with the FJR. In 4 days, I've ground my left foot on the road more times then I can count and I won't have much boot left at this rate. I currently have the IIcon Heavy Dutys. I'd basicly be looking for something slimmer in the toe area so that I can have my foot under the shifter while cornering as well as them be comfortable enough to wear all day at work. I saw a set of Frank Thomas boots the other day that looked comfy, but they didn't have them in my size (shocker :rolleyes: ) and I've also managed to foget the model name. Off to google I go.

Last edited:
Very nice. This now allows me to ask a boot question. Aside form these, what do some of you gun-boat footed folks use for boots?
Reason I ask is that I wear a 12-13 boot and the current one's I have were great with my Vmax, but are not working out well with the FJR. In 4 days, I've ground my left foot on the road more times then I can count and I won't have much boot left at this rate. I currently have the IIcon Heavy Dutys. I'd basicly be looking for something slimmer in the toe area so that I can have my foot under the shifter while cornering as well as them be comfortable enough to wear all day at work. I saw a set of Frank Thomas boots the other day that looked comfy, but they didn't have them in my size (shocker :rolleyes: ) and I've also managed to foget the model name. Off to google I go.

I suggest riding with the balls of your feet on the foot pegs, not the heel of your foot. Having your foot under the shifter is a dangerous thing while banked over. If you touch down hard enough, it could cause you to potentially shift gears and really screw up the corner. Even if your in 5th gear and you do this, it could potentially be very dangerous.

I've started to notice this the hard way. It's my own ignorance as with my past bike, even in a hard corner, my feet never got close enough to to touch down. Just a minor adjustment I will have to make. I have tried riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs and on the right side it's no issue, on the left, it's a tad more difficult as my heal is either on the center stand or the pipe. I'm hoping less bulky boots will help fix this a bit. So....whats good for geting boot marks off the pipes without damaging the finish?

Also, sorry for the threadjack

I've started to notice this the hard way. It's my own ignorance as with my past bike, even in a hard corner, my feet never got close enough to to touch down. Just a minor adjustment I will have to make. I have tried riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs and on the right side it's no issue, on the left, it's a tad more difficult as my heal is either on the center stand or the pipe. I'm hoping less bulky boots will help fix this a bit. So....whats good for geting boot marks off the pipes without damaging the finish?
Also, sorry for the threadjack

I've heard oven cleaner will do it. I'm not completely positive though because I just decided to go the "Tanji heel guard" method. Basically you add some chrome guards on the exhaust so your boot won't leave black streaks on it.

Aside form these, what do some of you gun-boat footed folks use for boots?
First off, size 12-13 is not gun-boat thats freakin aircraft carrier :clapping:

Second DONT LEAVE YOUR FOOT UNDER THE SHIFTER unless you like pain and the thought of walking with a limp for the rest of you life after your foot gets sucked under the peg and it all but tears your foot off as it gets rolled over by your rear tire!

-Ok... I'm ok now :blink:

Those look real nice TWN. Keep us posted in a few weeks after you have some wear time on them.. If you report positively, I'll get a pair too. That we can be TWiNs! :rolleyes:

Calimus check out Diadora Avenues link I have no connection with them other than liking the boots.

I suggest riding with the balls of your feet on the foot pegs, not the heel of your foot. Having your foot under the shifter is a dangerous thing while banked over. If you touch down hard enough, it could cause you to potentially shift gears and really screw up the corner. Even if your in 5th gear and you do this, it could potentially be very dangerous.
I agree. While riding the Dragon a few years ago on my old Concours I was unexpectedly upshifted in a curve by the pavement pushing up on my boot.

whats good for geting boot marks off the pipes without damaging the finish?
I had pretty good luck with the copper version of kitchen steel wool.

I just bought a pair of those Oxtar Air Tech boots. Received them last week and have put about 2,000 miles on them.

My Heine Gericke boots were getting just too darn hot in the 95F plus sunshine around here. So I sprang for a pair of the Oxtars. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the Oxtars.

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice boots. You can definitely feel some air moving up the front of your shin. You can instantly tell when you start riding because the engine heat is not baking your lower legs yet. As the engine warms up (on the Gen-II bikes) the air moving through the boot also warms.

I give the Oxtars a :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsup: :thumbsupsmiley: rating. Let's call it 4 of 5 stars.

Why not five stars you ask???

* Price - $220 for Oxtars versus $120 for my HGs. Oxtars just seemed a bit pricey to me.

* Velcro - Oxtars have a LOT of velcro on the closure. Makes them stiffer on the sides than my HGs. The HG uses a taller zipper and more narrow velcro.

* Size/fit - Oxtars list their USA-9 as a Euro-43. HG listed their USA-9 as a Euro-42. I wear a USA-9 in most shoes. Oxtars were definitely a bit long and definitely a bit narrow for my taste.

Believe me, you WILL see me wearing the Oxtars this summer. HG does not make a Air Mesh boot that I am aware of. But if they did, I would spend my money on HGs before Oxtars.

On the other hand, my GF absolutely freakin' loves her Oxtars!!!

Would have thought that these would have been more the pimps style. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thosse look justh phabulussssssss.
edit:....fjrforum....where men talk about shoes.
Or toilet bowls. ;)

Those look real nice TWN. Keep us posted in a few weeks after you have some wear time on them.. If you report positively, I'll get a pair too. That we can be TWiNs! :rolleyes:
Hey, look! Your double-wide is rolling down the hill!

Would have thought that these would have been more the pimps style. :lol:
Yo, shit! Next time, fo sho, beotch!

Thanks for all the tips gent's. I think I have it figured out.

The First Rule of FJR club is - Keep your damn foot from under the shifter in corners! :biggrinsmiley:

I'll check out those boots also, gotta find something less clunky.

Last edited:
I just got a pair of Oxtars. Folks here have said that they are the better boot for people with wide feet, and that is certainly true for me. They fit well. They are not as, um, masculine looking as the Bates duty boots that I have been wearing, but I decided to try a pair of motorcycle specific boots this time. I guess they'll look OK once I get a bunch of road spooge and bugs and such on them.