New Calsci touring windshields for 2013 FJR 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marklawrence

Reaction score
FJR13b.jpg

Available in several widths and heights.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

Last edited by a moderator:
So somebody local has a '13--I assume, since you must have had one in to test-fit it. And they're not on the forum? Shame on 'em.

Can you say how it improves over the stock shield, Mark?

Looks nice, but installation instructions (underlining added). I wonder what "very high speeds" are. I guess I can keep the shield up a bit (since it doesn't retract now!), but not sure I like this....

Yamaha FJR1300 2013+:Remove the two 3mm allen head screws behind the windshield on the bottom facing down which hold on the painted screw covers. Pull the bottom edge of the covers outwards gently about 1/4" (6mm). The plastic covers now slide upwards about 1/4" and pop off. Six Philips screws to remove the stock windshield. Reverse to install your Calsci shield. Get all six screws started before you tighten them. 4ft-lbs max, wrist tight only. Too tight = cracks. Optionally use the six supplied stainless steel screws to replace the stock nylon screws. After the windshield is mounted securely, place the two sticky-backed vinyl paint protector strips under the windshield's outside corners, to the left and right of the vent, where they're nearest the paint. When the windshield is in the lowest position, at very high speeds the sheild can flex back into the paint. The vinyl will make sure there are no scratches.

In case you guys didn't notice, that bike still has the dealer tag on the mirror.....Mark must have an in with a local dealer in Sac..

R

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gen III fairing has a unfortunate choice of shape where the outside portion above the mirror mounts bulges forwards. The curvature of shield that fits the mounting brackets heads straight for those bulges. We were trying to give you as much hand and arm protection as possible; in order to do this we have the outer corners of the shield within about .2" of the fairing, when the shield is full down. At 100mph+ this gap will close up. So in addition to protecting you as best we can, we're also protecting your paint. We can take an inch of plastic off and this problem will never come up. Or raise the shield up 1" and the clearance improves dramatically.

Or we could use a non-aerodynamic shape like Yamaha chose, make a too-narrow windshield like Yamaha did, produce turbulence like the Yamaha screen does. . . nah, we don't do any of that stuff.
Turbulence? On a Gen3? Hmm I must've got a defective one cuz I aint got none of that ;)

Nice there's aftermarket choices for those that want it though :)

I met mark at my local dealer test fitting the 2013 windshields, nice chat we had about the aero dynamics of his screens. I think the 2013 was VIN # 59 , still on the lot if your interested :)

• I’ve thus far found the stock 2013 windscreen to be close to perfect. But, like Networkguy, I’m dimensionally similar to a bull gerbil. You taller guys may have some issues. Not that anybody gives a shit about tall people…..

I installed the +2.5 on my 08 last weekend and yesterday was the test ride. The zero position, when compared to OEM, was real comfortable at freeway speeds. Nice! Then, the toggle was pushed to raise the screen to about halfway up; real nice! Once I realized it had more protection available, I raised the screen all the way up; really nice zone of comfort. This 350+ ride at speeds up to 90 mph brought no upper-body fatigue, I am real pleased with this selection.

However, the 4 rectangular cut outs were incorrectly cut. The back surface was relieved and do not support the 4 right angle tabs on the "W" Plate that mounts on the front of the screen.

I'll eat that ##-up and try to remedy it myself.

Looking forward to my next multi-day road trip.

I got the Sport (+2.5"). Fit great - it either touches the fairing or is REALLY close when all the way down - no issues mounting. No vibration like the stock. Like the protection and lack of turbulence. I believe it is substantially better than stock. Oh, yeah, I'm a short guy, too. 5'6".