New ECU Fix / If It Aint Broke Don't Fix It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shop did the new ECU. Could not tell any difference on my 06. Put about 1000 miles on it [up to 4500 feet].

After putting the miles on, I adjusted +7 on all cylinders. Should have done that before, so easy and much smoother in the lower gears. Have not rode enough to see any difference in milage yet.

I had the new ECU installed on mine yesterday at Yamaha/Kawasaki West in Fort Worth, TX. I only rode it straight back home because I had to go to work but it was 45 miles with no problems at all. Today, I put another 150 miles on it and there was no change from the old one. I know they replaced it because I watched them do the whole thing. I also checked the CO settings and they are exactly the same as before (5,18,18 & 21). Tonight, I bumped the settings up +7 and will find out if there is any difference in performance tomorrow.

FJRFencer,

Did you ever get your surge problem resolved? Was it a bad ECU, or just the swap out to the new software that reads the sensors with less throttle input?

FJRFencer,Did you ever get your surge problem resolved? Was it a bad ECU, or just the swap out to the new software that reads the sensors with less throttle input?
Turns out it was something to do with a limp right wrist :p Nothing mechanically wrong.

Poor dude ;)

:jester:

FJRFencer,Did you ever get your surge problem resolved? Was it a bad ECU, or just the swap out to the new software that reads the sensors with less throttle input?
I Literally just walked in the door from getting it done at D&H.

First D&H Is fantastic. They messed with my bike for about 2 hours end = no charge.

Nick road my bike, said he felt what I was describing. They tried to read the CO settings but could not get it to come up in diag mode. (do you have to do the Barbarian Jumper mod to READ CO setting?) He pulled out the Yamaha manual and it said to disconnect the fuel pump to read the CO settings. He could not get a reading from either the original or new ECU.

He DID say that Yamaha says to leave the CO settings alone and adjust the bike to work with what was programed from the factory- not the otherway around. I really wish we could have compared CO settings

They swapped back to the orig ECU and we both took it for a ride. The rides felt ALMOST identical. 1st & 2nd gears both had a very similar feel both of us. but with the Orig ECU, 3rd was smooth to me.

n0stress and I swapped bikes shortly after I had this done. He had his ECU swapped on the same day I had mine done, but at a diff dealer. So riding his 07 with a new ECU and my 06 with a new ECU, both felt the same. He also felt was I was talking about, hadn't noticed it before, but noted he hadn't really ridden like that before. you have to make it do it.

Short summary, my Butt-o-meter, was prob sensitive, after the swap an I noted something that was there all along but had not made a note of in my head. I put the new ECU back in under the warranty swap and rode out.

New ECUs ok to swap.

Admins you can update the title to reflect new ECUs ok and/or close this thread

They tried to read the CO settings but could not get it to come up in diag mode. (do you have to do the Barbarian Jumper mod to READ CO setting?) Yes

Barbarian Mod Process:

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/jumper.html

Barbarian Jumper Mod (allows fuel injector mapping adjustment/CO setting changes)

NOTE: link shows instructions for '03 model, but for Gen II (2006-2007) --

-- the general instructions are the same.

-- just remove the white plug out of 25, move the wire from 23 to 25, and put the white plug in 23 Clicky

I wonder why it would not work per the Yamaha service manual way? Unplug the fuel pump.

Haven't you heard? The service manual is a POS... ;)

I heard a rumor there is going to be a recall on the service manual teehee :rolleyes:

Glad your scoot is working OK. As for your sensitive Butt-o-meter .........ah, well, I'm going to keep it clean.

Admins you can update the title to reflect new ECUs ok and/or close this thread
Fencer glad your back up to snuff but hey, don't close it yet. I still haven't got the replacement ECU. Grandma's old but she ain't slow....PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: