New ECU

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lollydude

Reaction score
I am going to take my 2006 FJR A into the dealer to get the new ECU, My vin # falls within the range. Should I undo the Barbarian Jumper mod before taking it in and and getting the new ECU hooked up? Will it hurt the new ECU with the mod in place, or is it no big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might remove it and see how the new ecu performs without the mod. There's really no inherent reason why this crude modification should be desirable, and perhaps you'll find that the new maps in the new ecu are more to your liking than the maps that made you think you wanted to try the mod. You'll never know if you don't check the new ecu out in its stock form.

When my ECU got replaced I was back to factory settings. The new ECU is smoother might try riding a bit before redoing the BM.

The modification has no impact on performance or operation. It only hives access to otherwise protected variables.

You can undo the mod or you can leave it in - as to it being 'crude', it is the same as instaling the service plug in line with the connector.

European bikes are delivered with access to the settings - it is simply an EPA thing.

After the new ECU was installed on mine the lean mid-range was back and very noticable so I did the CO mods (+7) again. For me the new ECU works much better with the CO modification.

BTW the problem with abrupt throttle response when rolling it on from a closed position (especially annoying in low speed corners) is still there so will be getting a Power Comander soon.