New Electrpsport stator not charging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockymntfjr

Reaction score
I just installed a new Electrosport stator on my '04. The battery shows no charging on volt meter. Full charged battery 13.9v, drops to 12.8v on start up then drops to 11.8v within a minute or so.

I double checked the wiring (of 3 white wires), soldered and crimped, w/ shrink wrap. I also did a resistance test on the stator plug, all 3 were the same as my stock stator. also checked the main fuse.

I also checked the voltage at the rectifer/regulator with the engine running .6v Every thing was working fine stock so I don't think it's a bad r/r. I hpoe it's not a bad stator! I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

IIRC, Warchild's developed a loose connection.

Not being an electro-mechanical type I'm lost. Paging Ionbeam. Mr. Ionbeam to the white courtesy phone, please.

Here goes... Start with the stator.

Set your meter (DMM?) for AC volts, voltage range 200 volts. You are going to measure the three wires coming from the stator, wire sequence does not matter, just be sure to measure between the three white wires (and not to ground). Either pull the connector down a bit on the R/R or back-probe the connector to measure the three white wires. With the engine running measure between the three wires. The voltage should all be nearly equal between the wires, the voltage should be >50 VAC. It meets the equal voltage from winding to winding test and they are all > 50 volts the stator is good.

If the stator does not meet these two conditions then there is either a wiring issue or the stator is bad. (Edited to add: Before trashing the stator, I will help you do a diode test of the R/R, there is a wee outside chance that the R/R could shorted or open.)

If the stator passes this test set the meter for ohms, on the 200 ohm scale. Unplug the connector at the R/R and ohm from the red wire's pin to the positive post of the battery. Ohm from the black wire's connector pin to the battery, and from this same pin to the engine block. All these readings should be very close to zero ohms (0.00). Please ohm from the pin of the R/R connector to the POST of the battery to ensure everything is measured.

If the red wire is greater than 2 ohms the main fuse is blown or there is a wire problem. If the black wire is greater than 2 ohms there is a wiring problem.

If both of these tests pass, there is a very good chance that the R/R is bad. Have you done anything, accidental or not that may have damaged the R/R. Confess :) Please assure me that your meter is digital and not a needle movement too.

Let us know how things are progressing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, the main fuse isn't blown because you were able to start the engine. The starter motor relay gets its coil power via the main fuse, etc.

Your voltmeter may be a little wonky. The battery voltage before you start the engine won't be much above 12.9 volts. It certainly can't be 13.9 unless you just took the battery off a charger less than an hour or so ago.

The typical ohmmeter can't read values down around 0.2 ohms all that well. The stator's phase-to-phase ohm readings should be approximately 0.15 - 0.2 ohms. The Electrosport unit should have a bit smaller ohm readings due to the larger cross section wire used in the windings. But the typical ohmmeter isn't likely precise enough to note the difference.

To be more accurate with the ohms on the DMM, short the leads together and you should be able to measure the resistance of the leads.

Then deduct this measurement from the ohm reading you will get, this way you ll measure the real value of each coil of the stator ! ;)

Set your meter (DMM?) for AC volts, voltage range 200 volts. You are going to measure the three wires coming from the stator, wire sequence does not matter, just be sure to measure between the three white wires (and not to ground). Either pull the connector down a bit on the R/R or back-probe the connector to measure the three white wires. With the engine running measure between the three wires. The voltage should all be nearly equal between the wires, the voltage should be >50 VAC. It meets the equal voltage from winding to winding test and they are all > 50 volts the stator is good.

If the stator does not meet these two conditions then there is either a wiring issue or the stator is bad. (Edited to add: Before trashing the stator, I will help you do a diode test of the R/R, there is a wee outside chance that the R/R could shorted or open.)

If the stator passes this test set the meter for ohms, on the 200 ohm scale. Unplug the connector at the R/R and ohm from the red wire's pin to the positive post of the battery. Ohm from the black wire's connector pin to the battery, and from this same pin to the engine block. All these readings should be very close to zero ohms (0.00). Please ohm from the pin of the R/R connector to the POST of the battery to ensure everything is measured.

If the red wire is greater than 2 ohms the main fuse is blown or there is a wire problem. If the black wire is greater than 2 ohms there is a wiring problem.

If both of these tests pass, there is a very good chance that the R/R is bad. Have you done anything, accidental or not that may have damaged the R/R. Confess :) Please assure me that your meter is digital and not a needle movement too.

Thanks guys,

Yes I'm using a digital meter, both stock and the Electrosport stator measured .8 ohms between the three white wires. The AC voltage on the Electrosport measured around 40 VAC between on all three wires with engine at idle. The DC voltage at the R/R measured .6 volts with engine at idle.

I did test the resistance from the R/R plug to the battery and block, all was ok. Every thing was working fine yesterday before the new stator install. So no funny business with the R/R.

Everything looks like the new stator is ok and some thing screwed up the R/R on the initial start up?

I don't have much time because I'm riding out to Miller in Utah for the World Superbike races at the end of the month. So I decide to put the stock stator back in, I fire up the bike and, 14.3 volts! :yahoo: Back in business.

Do you think I got a bad Electrosport stator out of the box? It seems to check out ok. Any other tests?

It is only three wires witch are not circuit or phase-dependant, kind of hard to screw up. I did try to switch them around but it still did'nt work.

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Thanks guys,

Yes I'm using a digital meter, both stock and the Electrosport stator measured .8 ohms between the three white wires. The AC voltage on the Electrosport measured around 40 VAC between on all three wires with engine at idle. The DC voltage at the R/R measured .6 volts with engine at idle.

I did test the resistance from the R/R plug to the battery and block, all was ok. Every thing was working fine yesterday before the new stator install. So no funny business with the R/R.

Everything looks like the new stator is ok and some thing screwed up the R/R on the initial start up?

I don't have much time because I'm riding out to Miller in Utah for the World Superbike races at the end of the month. So I decide to put the stock stator back in, I fire up the bike and, 14.3 volts! :yahoo: Back in business.

Do you think I got a bad Electrosport stator out of the box? It seems to check out ok. Any other tests?

It is only three wires witch are not circuit or phase-dependant, kind of hard to screw up. I did try to switch them around but it still did'nt work.

Thanks for your help,

Andy
A bad one is possible.......my first one was bad. Replaced right away.