New factory Gel seat option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zodiac

Reaction score
Just saw the new factory replacement seat option for the 07.

Has anyone tried one yet??

Gel seats... If left in the sun, they get hot and hold the heat for a long time. Certainly, something to be avoided on long rides, IMO.

My dealer is gonna get one in to try. I thouhgt about the heat issue, but maybe a nice sheep skin would help.

My dealer is gonna get one in to try. I thouhgt about the heat issue, but maybe a nice sheep skin would help.
Why spend money on a seat if the first thing you are going to do is band-aid it with yet another farkle? Russell, or Bill Mayer...it's pretty clear these are the seats to get.

Why spend money on a seat if the first thing you are going to do is band-aid it with yet another farkle? Russell, or Bill Mayer...it's pretty clear these are the seats to get.
Kick Rick Mayer onto that list too, and I agree.

On the other hand, if the dealer is going to loan one out to test (which is what it sounded like), bring it on. A ride report can't be a bad thing.

Yea, it's a trial. And he said he let me have it for $300, so it's a little discount. My thinking is, if I get it, I'll have a comfy seat that is still sporty (shift in seat when locally riding twistys) and I'll still get a Russell for the day long rides to everywhere else.

But while were at it, do the Sergeants and Mayers require a seat pan sacrifice? Can you easily shift your seating position on a Sargent or Mayer?

aba-2d221-10-00-ou-500.jpg

I think I can shift on this one.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, it's a trial. And he said he let me have it for $300, so it's a little discount. My thinking is, if I get it, I'll have a comfy seat that is still sporty (shift in seat when locally riding twistys) and I'll still get a Russell for the day long rides to everywhere else.
But while were at it, do the Sergeants and Mayers require a seat pan sacrifice? Can you easily shift your seating position on a Sargent or Mayer?

aba-2d221-10-00-ou-500.jpg

I think I can shift on this one.

Thanks

Sargent and Corbin build on their on seat pan, Mayer requires you to send your piece of crap stock in then build a $$ seat on it, I don't get that!!!

I just got my Sargent for '07 and love it. This is the 4th bike I've had a Sargent on and I liked them all, this one is the best, wider than stock with "wings" similar to Russell/Mayer.

If Yamaha can build a decent seat it should be OEM. If I have to cough up extra $$ for a seat it will be a Sargent as usual.

Clicky

Steve

You can easily shift your weight on a Rick Mayer seat. In the twisties I scoot up against the tank and easily shift to one side or the other. When touring, I sit back staight into the "pocket of comfort".

You can easily shift your weight on a Rick Mayer seat. In the twisties I scoot up against the tank and easily shift to one side or the other. When touring, I sit back staight into the "pocket of comfort".
+1 for my Mayer....of Bill origin

Sargent and Corbin build on their on seat pan, Mayer requires you to send your piece of crap stock in then build a $$ seat on it, I don't get that!!!
There is nothing wrong with the stock pan, rather it's the stock foam padding and shape that sucks. Bill Mayer works his magic on the stock pan to save you some dough. Works for me. And yes, shifting in the seat is easily accomplished, however, you should advise your builder of the fact that you like to seat-shift.

Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Sargent is not a custom, sculpted-to-your-butt saddle. What's the point if it's not? :dntknw:

Gel seats... If left in the sun, they get hot and hold the heat for a long time. Certainly, something to be avoided on long rides, IMO.
I have not had that prob with my gel
I noticed the people that mention heat seem to have CA and AZ as home ports. Maybe those of us that don't live in deserts won't has as much of a problem. :rolleyes:

What he said.

By the way, I had a Bill Mayer on my previous bike and would endorse that one too. And since Mayer designed the Russell, maybe I'll get that one for my next bike just to complete the set.

Just finished 250 miles ride on Yamaha Comfort seats.

IT WORKS! With my bad back, I was not able ride 100 miles on OEM seat, but Comfort seat made so much improvement. Non stop 250 miles, that is very impressive for me.

Only thing sucks is that it added about 1 inch to my lowered OEM seat. I got my from the University Motors. (about 3 bills). I highly recommend this product.

+1

+2. Gel will nuke your junk in the summer. Had one on my Duc. Great for our one month of winter; misery otherwise. Sure was comfy after it cooled, though!
Good god yes, I tried the infamous Gel seat Butt Buffer and it was aweful, just steamed the boys in the summer time. I have an aversion to sweaty balls, and it didn't help my arse none either.

Flipped that baby to some Harley rider on ebay who won't use it for more than 10 miles at a time. I'm sure he's happy with it.

I was going to buy a new seat, but decided to tackle the problem myself.

Take the seat off the bike, remove the staples from all but the rear of the seat cover. Pull the cover back off the saddle and add some padding. Not too tough. I bought a memory foam mattress pad from WalMart, and cut it to fit the saddle, added two new layers and was done in one hour. Cost: $29.00 The feeling in my butt: Priceless :yahoo: