New FJR Owner with Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Well most of you know my purchase story. I feel alot better knowing that the bike actually does have the full factory warranty even though the Stealership lie to me and told me that it didn't. Oh well, I feel like I did ok on my purchase and I have a kick a** bike so what do I have to pissed off about right? Anyways I didn't get to take a whole lot of photo's cause we were in a hurry and it was 104 degrees outside when I rode it home. My 10 year old son wanted to ride home with me so we made a few quick stops on the 150 mile ride home.

Here is a photo of Me picking up the bike from Cal Coast Motorsports in Ventura, Ca:

4.jpg

My wife came down with me to pick up the bike and then followed as I rode home. She can't wait to go for a ride.

3.jpg

My son and I riding up the I-5 between Castaic and Gorman.

1.jpg

Now the Fun part. Help me choose some Farkles: What I have discovered so far from the first 150 mile ride. First off with my Height (6'4") the stock windscreen is not going to cut it. So chime in Tall guys and tell me what you have tried and like.

Next, after about 30 miles I was thinking why does everyone complain about the seat, this isn't so bad. At 130 miles I changed my tune. I was getting near miserable. I am going to have to make an appointment with Rick Meyer immediately.

Also I don't much care for the grips. I have very large hands and would like something larger? Any ideas for big hand guys? You know what they say about guys with big hands right? They need larger grips.. :clapping:

Along with the Tall thing, I would like to look into lowered pegs and raising the bars a bit. So who does this?

I need to also get the GIVI ordered but am trying to figure what mount to go with. A little help here would also be appreciated. I will be getting the Givi E52 with backrest for my wife unless someone has a better alternative for a backrest.

Already have sliders on the way. Have my Blue Seas Fuse panel for doing some electrical accesories. I want to install some powerlets for heated gear, GPS, Radar Detector, Cell Phone, Microwave, etc. Just seeing if anyone is actually reading all this. HaHa.

Can't believe it took me so long to become an FJR Owner. But now that I have it I am loving the bike. Gotta go now, my bikes waiting for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a sweet ride.

At 6'1", I feel your pain with the stock shield. Not willing to spend the cash to try all the different aftermarket shields, I picked up a Laminar Lip from one of the guys on the forum as a temporary fix, thinking I could try differing heights with the lip to see what suits me best, and although ugly, it works like a charm. I will eventually pony up for something more permanent, but this works for now, and the price was right.

Custom seat is probably going to be later this year, but in the meantime a beaded seat cover (beadrider) and gel cycling shorts work wonders on long trips for me.

Grip Puppies, for around $10, will give you a larger grip, and help with any vibes through the bars.

As for a trunk, I opted for the Givi V46 with the backrest, and my wife loves it. I suspect the E52 would have given a similar result, but I didn't need the extra space, and I wanted a color matched lid. (And my microwave wouldn't have fitted in the E52 either!).

I was in there a couple of weeks ago thinking about buying a V-Strom, I am assuming that's the one that was in the window.

On the rack, I went with the one from Premiere Cycle that fits all the Givi Cases,

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Sma...ack_p/11500.htm you still have to get the mount to go on the rack, but it works perfectly.

I think this one's slightly different or updated, but I like that it not only fits the Givi case, but I can use it for a duffle etc. with tie downs too when the Givi isn't appropriate or needed. I have the E-52 with the backrest, and it's awesome how much it will swallow, very convenient. The back rest is just ok IMHO, but it works as advertised.

+1 for the Premier Cycle rack. I have an older one that I purchased the Givi plate for a mount. The newer ones are drilled so you can mount the Give buttons directly to the rack and skip the Givi adapter plate. While your shopping there have a look at their protection kits. There is a post HERE about installing.

lacofd...,

Great looking bike and very happy for you in finally obtaining your dream.

Many Happy Smiles and Miles to you.

so what do I have to pissed off about right?
Um...that the dealership ripped you off? *I'd* be pissed...

My wife came down with me to pick up the bike and then followed as I rode home. She can't wait to go for a ride.
Another lucky FJR owner with a cute wife! We're awfully lucky, aren't we? :)

First off with my Height (6'4") the stock windscreen is not going to cut it. So chime in Tall guys and tell me what you have tried and like.
6'3" here. I just installed a VStream® Replacement Windshield And I love it - it actually blocks *too* much air at the full up position and is almost *too* quiet. :)

Can't believe it took me so long to become an FJR Owner. But now that I have it I am loving the bike. Gotta go now, my bikes waiting for me...
LOL Enjoy!

Hi, congrats on the new bike. I just recently bought an '08, about 1500mi. so far. One thing I can mention about the backrest...I just put a Givi V46 on with the backrest and my wife has all she can do not to fall asleep, she says its that comfortable! Good luck.

The BEST thing you can do for a windshield is to try and hook up with some other local owners and swap out during a ride. I've lent a couple of guys my "other" windshields to try (I have a Gen I). There was some swapping going on in SoCal so hopefully you can try that. Its the best way to see what works for you without investing capital.

As for the foot pegs, there are lowering kits available but I'd suggest you consider adding Wild Bill's highway pegs and leave the stockers where they are. wild bills highway pegs site:fjrforum.com

Would like to order the GIVI tonight and have a questions about the Premiere Cycle Rack. They offer a Sport Touring Rack and a Top Box rack. What's the difference and what one am I looking for. I want which ever one is better for the GIVI E52. I suppose I also need to order the Mounting kit. While I am at it have any of you used there helmet locks that go on the rack? I need some of them also....

Would like to order the GIVI tonight and have a questions about the Premiere Cycle Rack. They offer a Sport Touring Rack and a Top Box rack. What's the difference and what one am I looking for. I want which ever one is better for the GIVI E52. I suppose I also need to order the Mounting kit. While I am at it have any of you used there helmet locks that go on the rack? I need some of them also....
This is where i got mine and they were great and answered all of my questions, www.sporttour.com

I will pm you the link.

Hi, congrats on the new bike. I just recently bought an '08, about 1500mi. so far. One thing I can mention about the backrest...I just put a Givi V46 on with the backrest and my wife has all she can do not to fall asleep, she says its that comfortable! Good luck.
+1. My wife likes going for rides on this bike better than any other I have owned. The givi helps a lot I think! That and the Russel Day Long saddle I have as well....

More farkles to add to your list!! :coolsmiley02:

lacofdfireman,

Your going to have a wonderful time with the FJR, it is an outstanding piece of motorcycling engineering! I have an 2006 AE and love it and I can't figure out why some of these moto-mag writers don't like?

Any way, I too have large hands, 2XL are always a little tight and the grips on the FJR are very small; Grip Puppies are the answer! Don't worry about loosing the heated grip function, the Puppies will warm right up a couple of minutes later.

Seat - I can't help you here, I like the stocker but I do use an Air Hawk to keep "the boys" cooler in the summer.

Top Box - I run the Givi E-52 w/aux break light, soft back rest installed and the Givi mount. I probably should have gotten the Premiere Cycle mount but the E-52 rarely comes off the bike anyway. RLMotorcycles.comhttps://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-b...cts.htm&product=Givi&cart_id=1215188001.69637 has awesome prices on Givi cases, I picked up my E-52 w/light and the Givi mounting rack for $298 last December. here are two types of back rests, make sure you get the SOFT model, the regular back rest is as hard as a brick.

Shield - I too have the V-Stream and really like it, however; don't throw away the stock shield, I found that if you cut it down 2 or 3 inches it makes a super "shorty shield" for the summer heat and believe it or not, when it gets shortened the air flow is a lot cleaner off the top of the shield, less buffeting.

That's my 2 cents worth, enjoy,

Violione

I'm 6' 4" and like my Cee Bailey 4+ 4+ Flip when it's all the way up I still see over the top and at 70 MPH it is still fairly quiet. I think there is a group buy going on right now for the Heli upper triple clamp this rasies the bars up and back about a 1 1/2 inches. I have a competers plate and lowering pegs but he got in trouble here with the form board so I won't promote him. These and the Rick Meyer seat make my riding days great

Congrats on the new ride.

I'm also 6'4" with a 35" inseam - I've tried the following windshields:

Stock - no way

V-Stream - fairly close to perfect

Yamaha touring Sheild - nope

Cee Bailey : +4 high - + 2 wide w/flip : nope

Cee Bailey : +4 high +4 wide w/ flip - damn close but very turbulent in traffic & headwinds

CalSci XL : WINNER - all around the best sheild for me - it's taller than most - but remember as you adjust the windscreen up that it also moves away from you.

Grip Puppies help alot with the size of the grips for me.

Risers did the trick for me in adjusting the ride position - they move the grips up and back a little

Lowering the pegs - you might want to get some titanium boots for corners if you agressive at all.

VH

Take your time.

I added bar risers, which helped somewhat. Also, grip puppies and bar end weights, which also helped a little.

Had intended to change the seat and windshield, but decided to hold off and after 2 years and 50k miles I'm pretty satisfied with the stock seat and windshield. I'm 6' & 250 lbs.

I ride alone, so I didn't pursue the trunk, which might increase the comfort for your spouse, however, I didn't want the turbulance when riding alone.

PM sometime if you want to ride, as I'm a short distance away in Bakersfield.

Last bit of advice is to spend more time riding than you do farkeling, or online. This is a great bike and will exceed your expectations.

Hold off on the farkles for a little bit, and get your son some riding boots. Sneakers and road = bad.

Oh, and congratulations. Sliders, seat, grips, ZUMO.

Oh, and congratulations. Sliders, seat, grips, ZUMO.
Exactly. The order for me was sliders, grips, seat, Zumo, (and after the brown truck pulled up 5 minutes ago, Heli), but you're on the money.

Nice pics, new bike owner, but no smiles from you on the first day?

Congrats on the new ride.

I agree with changing the stock shield, I'm 6'1 and the stock shield doesn't cut it for highway travel. I'm looking to get a V-stream after the new year so let us know what you decide on and how it works. I installed a 46 liter Givi top case in the Givi mount for the FJR, ordered it through my dealer and it was an easy install / looks great/works well, 2 full face helmets fit inside even though I have a large Shuberth flip face.