New FJR Owner with questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebuf

Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 FJR, and the bike is fantastic. I really wanted silver, so I chose the '11 model over the '12. I've owned several bikes, and there are questions I have about this FJR:

1. The saddlebags seem a little loose. I can lift them both slightly while they are locked down. Is this normal, or is there an adjustment I can do? The only other bike I've had with saddlebags was a BMW and those bags had NO movement when locked down. I've read posts about the saddlebags opening or coming off (YIKES) on the road and I just want to make sure a little movement is normal.

2. The dealer didn't put the protective stickers on around the saddlebag mounts. Is that something I should put on myself (I have them), or is there no added benefit?

3. I've read a few posts about "pinning" the saddlebags and using locktite on screws. Is there a problem with the saddlebags I should worry about? I've scoured the threads looking for an explanation but have had no luck.

The bike is awesome. It was between the Kawasaki Concours 14, the BMW K1600GT, the Triumph Sprint GT, and this bike. The BMW was over $20K and the other two were more aggressive ergonomically, so the Yamaha won. The added surprise of having the saddlebag liners included was definitely nice! I had a 2009 BMW R1200RT and the liners were about $300 for the set, if I remember right. Now on to scour the forums to find the easiest place to tap into switched 12V power so I can mount a GPS.

Thanks for any help with my questions!

Welcome,

Yes the bags will be a little loose. It is always a good idea to give them a good jiggle after mounting them. Ha ha, I said jiggle after mounting them.

The locktite is a good, simple idea. The pins can't hurt but IMHO are overkill.

Have fun with your scouring.

BTW where is South Catolina?

Mark

Welcome. Best bike I've owned so far :yahoo: BTW Where in SC? I'm over in Beaufort. ~Harvey

I just bought a 2011 FJR, and the bike is fantastic. I really wanted silver, so I chose the '11 model over the '12. I've owned several bikes, and there are questions I have about this FJR:

1. The saddlebags seem a little loose. I can lift them both slightly while they are locked down. Is this normal, or is there an adjustment I can do? The only other bike I've had with saddlebags was a BMW and those bags had NO movement when locked down. I've read posts about the saddlebags opening or coming off (YIKES) on the road and I just want to make sure a little movement is normal.

2. The dealer didn't put the protective stickers on around the saddlebag mounts. Is that something I should put on myself (I have them), or is there no added benefit?

3. I've read a few posts about "pinning" the saddlebags and using locktite on screws. Is there a problem with the saddlebags I should worry about? I've scoured the threads looking for an explanation but have had no luck.

The bike is awesome. It was between the Kawasaki Concours 14, the BMW K1600GT, the Triumph Sprint GT, and this bike. The BMW was over $20K and the other two were more aggressive ergonomically, so the Yamaha won. The added surprise of having the saddlebag liners included was definitely nice! I had a 2009 BMW R1200RT and the liners were about $300 for the set, if I remember right. Now on to scour the forums to find the easiest place to tap into switched 12V power so I can mount a GPS.

Welcome and congrats!

1) Try this for piece of mind. Easy Saddlebag safety farkle.

2) Yes, many places sell that protective plastic, even some auto parts stores.

3) See #1. Try this too, again for piece of mind (not sure if this issue has been resolved on later models). Saddlebag lock screws (see pots #5).

You made the right decision on the FJR, trust me. ;)

Also google search things like this: <site:fjrforum.com saddlebag screw loc-tite>

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
. ...:clapping:Welcome to the FJR ownership experience! :clapping: ....

:yahoo: Resistance was futile...you have been assimilated. :yahoo:

Normal. They are all a bit "loose".

The clear plastic will protect the body work from any scratches made when installing the side cases. They're not unsightly so why not install them, or take it back and have the dealer do so. They're supposed to be there.

Pinning is up to you. Some have lost their panniers because they weren't latched properly. I have near 95k miles on my 2nd FJR and haven't lost one yet. I always try to lift them off before driving away....just in case.

Threadlock is used on the screws that hold the lock mechanism from the inside. They have been known to come loose if the dealer didn't install the locks with threadlock per the installation instructions. IIRC, mine were loose @ near 50k miles so I pulled them out and re-applied the necessary chemical when tightening them.

There are many ways to tap into the power lead. I have 2 separate power sources: a hot lead from the positive battery terminal to a separate fuse panel through a relay but my radar detector and GPS are wired (fused) direct. That gives me the option to program mine with the key off, I just have to remember to turn it off so as to not drain the battery.

There are some different websites devoted to maintenance and farkles that you might want to look at. I've linked them at the bottom of this thread in the FAQ section.

I bought my -11 new, and the bag locks were locktited from the factory, so Yamaha corrected that problem. My bags are slightly loose also, but are quite secure. Just be careful when mounting them . I wired my Zumo directly to the battery and got the Ram ball that threads into the unused hole in the left grip near the clutch lever. The ideal place for the GPS, IMHO. Enjoy your Silver Bullet! :)

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses! I just put another couple hundred miles on her today... 75 and sunny here in SC (I'm in Sumter, near Shaw AFB). Couldn't resist... only came home to get food ready for the big game!

I believe there are some forum members that have changed the oem screws for some different ones and haven't had any problems. Lock tite on the new ones too.