New FJR Owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just put down a deposit on a 2009 FJR. It's so new it's still in a crate!
Once the weather clears up enough here in Calgary, I'll have the dealership put it together and I'll pick it up - probably sometime in early March.

I'm upgrading from a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive. I've really like the Burgman for around town, but I was unhappy with the performance on the highway. I've been on three multi-day trips on it, and while it was ok, the Burgman lacks power when it was needed.

So I'm thinking the FJR will be a big improvement on the highway.

Looking forward to getting some farkles for it too!

ian

Congrats from Michigan ... you will love the bike, it's capability on the highway (and everywhere else) is unsurpassed! But ... I feel for you. I purchased my FJR a few years ago in February and was pretty excited about it ... then ... the LONG WINTER, I couldn't stand it, it seemed like it lasted forever. Good luck on wishing away the snow and ice!

Welcome from Connecticut. Congratulations and enjoy the new bike. I purchased mine in Mid-August and rode untill Mid-December can not wait for spring. Best of luck!

Congrats. Enjoy her she will treat you well and bring you home if you take good care of her!!! Today I was able to bring my 04 home for the first time since December. And I still have perm a grin!!!

Congrats, Ian. As long as it's still in the box, do yourself a favor and make your first "farkle" a set of frame sliders; I'm pretty sure your dealer will be more than happy to put them on while he's putting the bike together for you, and probably at no extra cost. It's truly a worthwhile investment, as I'm sure you've gathered, since you've been "lurking" for awhile, and may save some wear and tear on your leg, when you don't have to keep kicking yourself in the butt for NOT springing for them!

Yup, frame sliders are at the top of list. I also have a StarCom Digital and Centech AP1 to swap from my old bike to the FJR and a mount for my Zumo550 that all to be installed right away too. I'm going to be moving my GIVI topbox over as well.

I'm also thinking of the Yamaha handguards and possibly a taller windscreen sometime this year.

ian

Congratulations Ian,

You are going to love the bike......just take my word for it.....be careful on the gas in corners. I had an unplanned get off on my FJR on the TESTRIDE, yikes! (if you got some popcorn and a beer you might enjoy the "Testride Nightmare" thread I put up over a month ago).

I've got about 500 miles on the bike now and really love it. Farkle away.....

David

I think I remember reading that thread. Yikes indeed!

I did scare the hell out of one of the guys at the dealership back in the summer last year. I had taken my wife's Burgman 650 in for new tires and needed a ride for the day, so I talked the sales manager there into loaning me a DL1000 VStrom. Since at the time I was riding a Burgman too, it'd been a while since I used a clutch. The cage I drive is a Saturn Ion Redline, with a standard tranny hooked to a 230HP supercharged engine, so I'm no stranger to clutching and shifting. But I was still pretty rusty shifting on a bike. When I left the parking lot of the dealership I guess I looked a little wobbly and spooked the dealership's finance guy! He called the sales manager and told him he thought they might not be getting the DL1000 back in one piece.

I was totally fine once I got a few minutes and shifts out of the way and I had a blast on that bike - rode it all over the city just because I could!

ian

Welcome from sunny Calgary! :D

Once the weather clears up enough here in Calgary,
That'll be sometime in late June, right? :) ...
Apparently those in Connecticut have no idea about our Weather patterns. :p

I rode on the weekend and will likely have it out again tomorrow! :D

...I'm also thinking of the Yamaha handguards and possibly a taller windscreen sometime this year....
You may want to consider the V-Strom hand guards. If you want to have a look at my hand guards or V-Stream windshield, just let me know!